1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Warm up or not?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by newtaco2008, Oct 16, 2010.

1. Oct 16, 2010 at 8:51 PM
    jdtemple

jdtemple Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bay Area CA
    Vehicle:
    08 DBLCAB LB TRD Sport
    Lift & Tires, in cab power outlets, Locking Bed Boxes, K&N
    It's not about warming an engine up faster. It's about giving everything time to start expanding.

Gaskets are more brittle when cold, and can tear or break causing oil/coolant leaks.

When your done driving your truck for the day, you don't rapidly cool the engine down, that would cause problems too.

2. Oct 16, 2010 at 8:54 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Most gaskets are engineered to withstand VERY cold weather operation.....The Gaskets arent going to break. Heat causes more damage to the gaskets than cold does.

3. Oct 16, 2010 at 8:55 PM
    04LTtacoma

04LTtacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oregon
    Same here. I have noticed the truck runs a lot better if I let it warm up for about 5 to 10 min.

4. Oct 16, 2010 at 9:02 PM
    Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Rocklin, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2001 prerunner doublecab limited
    2001 with; cat-back side-swept twin exhaust, elbow mod, Westin bullbar with Hella 450 driving lights, Snugtop XTR camper shell, TRD off-road 2x4-black beauty.
    I like a little heat transfer to the tranny before I put a load on it. I also like a gradual warming of the engine. So I wait till the temp needle just starts to move then I go drive easy till it is up to temp. Maybe I don't really need to do that but I have done that to all 14 vehicles in my life and never had mechanical problems with any of them, and this one has 93,000 miles trouble free so far.

5. Oct 16, 2010 at 9:16 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Welp....Im gonna throw another little nugget out there for folks to ponder......

Whats an engines nemisis?

Anyone?

Oh....You cant see this until I post it.....:p

Anyway.....Its water. We all know water can wreak havoc on an engines internals. Ok then.....Did you all know a by product of the combustion process is water? Yeppo! Water vapor is getting into the oil, and such. Now....By warming the engine slowly, well, your letting more water build in the crank case. This is no bueno. Not so bad if your gonna drive for a half hour or longer, to let the water evaporate out, but a slow warm up, and short trips CAN detrimentally effect the engines life span. Get the eninge to opperating temp quickly, and less water can accumulate in the oil. Also....Keep in mind, modern engines have nice tight tolerances. And the oil is better at lubricating the internals. AND.......*drumroll*.......You SAVE gas by getting the engine warmed up faster!

*crowd gasps*

Yes....yes....its true..

wait....we have a question...You threre...in the back....

*muffled voice*

"how can the engine use LESS fuel if your getting on it and driving right away? Your useing more throttle!

Ok...The longer the engine is in Open Loop, the longer its being run in a rich condition, thus burning more fuel. Driving the vehicle is the best way to warm it up more quickly. It even says so in the owners manuals. :)

6. Oct 16, 2010 at 9:48 PM
    Tidrow

Tidrow Well-Known Member

Member:
    Austin
    Vehicle:
    PreRunnin' 08
    BHLM, All Black grill, Fog light Mod, AFE pro dry, 20% tint, Weathertechs, Kenwood deck, Bridgestone AT Revo 2
  7. Oct 16, 2010 at 9:56 PM
    ktmrider

ktmrider Senior Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 DCLB 4x4 Sport S/C
    Junk
    I turn it on put my seat belt on and go

8. Oct 16, 2010 at 10:41 PM
    907taco

907taco Alaskan Assassin

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    Alaska
    Vehicle:
    2010 BlackSandPearl 4x4
    ultimate lift kit ( toytec ) ome dakar leaf pack , w/ extended length billies, LR uca's, Pro comp 7089s, KM2's 285 70 17, neoprene seat covers, weather techs, CBI sliders w/kickout, URD ss, cab mount chop, VHT night shade tint>tails,3rd B-light. Debadged. Grillecraft grille, rear diff breather mod. CBI Moab front bumper, warn M8000 winch, HID kragens 7", Hella's micro fogs. retrofit headlights HIDS, LED solutions maps/license! 886 back up light mod,
    living here, i will let it warm up enough to defrost the windshield and then take it easy on the 5 mile trip to my 1st main road. easily see - 15 with the wind chill for a couple of months out of the year.

9. Oct 16, 2010 at 11:34 PM
    dimitrik

dimitrik Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dimitri
    Quebec
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab TRD-Offroad
    AllPro Skidplate
    Every time one of these threads starts I am shocked at the utter ignorance of some people.

start the car and drive immediately? Really? Why would anyone suggest something like that. Do you have something invested in the demise of that gentleman's car?

Idling the car to warm up is bad? If you can idle 2 to 3 minutes while waiting for a red light I'm god damn sure you can idle 2 to 3 minutes to give your engine a chance for the oil to properly circulate.
    It can take up to one minute. So start and drive? You like revving your engine when it is cold and dry? Then go ahead dummies.

10. Oct 16, 2010 at 11:39 PM
    dimitrik

dimitrik Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dimitri
    Quebec
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab TRD-Offroad
    AllPro Skidplate
    That is a pretty stupid reason to not warm up at least a little. Everyone should know that in cold temperatures it is not recommended to start your car if you just want to go to the convenience store.

Just warm your damn cars. It's not complicated.

11. Oct 17, 2010 at 12:38 AM
    cummins6speed

cummins6speed Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '05 4Runner Limited Edition
    Custom extended travel 2.5" King RR coilovers, 1.25" Camburg uniball uppers, homebuilt tube bumper
    Its hard to drive it if you dont start it though

12. Oct 17, 2010 at 12:53 AM
    Krazie Sj

Krazie Sj Resident Jackass

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Borla Catback Exhaust, Snorkel, 33s on either 16's or 18's, ARB Bumper, All Pro LT w/Walker Evan Shocks front and back, All Pro expedition leaf pack, 10,000lb Superwinch, Intake Manifold Spacer, Bed Rack with ARB RTT, Rotopack and Hi Lift mounted, Husky Liner mats and an air freshener from 1995.
    He's from Quebec, just let it go.

13. Oct 17, 2010 at 1:15 AM
    TACOMA TRD

TACOMA TRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    PA
    Vehicle:
    2011 MGM SPORT DC 4x4
    Alpine HU, Apline 6.5 3 way Speakers, Access Cover.

I have it in drive before the starter stops spinning. Never had issues.

14. Oct 17, 2010 at 3:43 AM
    AKTACO420

AKTACO420 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    RETODD
    Anchorage AK
    Vehicle:
    2009 tacoma
    bucket seats grille craft mesh grille and lights behind grille
    All I have say is wow. Its not goting to hurt your truck to warm it up.when oil gets cold it gets thick like molasses now would you rather let the oil become warm and make it easier to lube the engine. Or do you like making your engine work harder.

15. Oct 17, 2010 at 4:11 AM
    J Diggin

J Diggin Hey Buddy ...

Member:
    Northern Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off-Road
    Weathertech Floorliner DigitalFit, Transmission TSB, Rear Leaf TSB, aFe Pro Dry S Air Filter, Rear Differential Breather Mod, Center Console Lock Mod, Trimmed Front Mud Flaps, Locking Gas Cap
    I'm new to the forum....my first post! This seems to be a great site - lots of good information to share. My wife was rolling her eyes when she saw that I was joining a forum that was just about my truck. She just doesn't understand :)

When I first fire it up, the idle rate seems high to me (maybe around 1500 to start). It slowly will creep down to just above 1000rpm. This is usually the time I let it warm up. The two vehicles I've had in the past idled well below 1000rpm.

16. Oct 17, 2010 at 4:13 AM
    Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Rocklin, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2001 prerunner doublecab limited
    2001 with; cat-back side-swept twin exhaust, elbow mod, Westin bullbar with Hella 450 driving lights, Snugtop XTR camper shell, TRD off-road 2x4-black beauty.
    Once again I will say this-my own personal experience with the 14 vehicles I have owned. Always gave them a warmup. Never had trouble with them. 14 vehicles. I am not saying I am right-I said in my last post maybe I don't need to do th 3-4 minutes it takes for the temp guage to bump. But I will continue doing it because I can't see how throwing a 4000 lb load onto cold moving parts with cold oil and a cold tranny is perfectly fine. There have been times when I was running late and started off after a startup and the damn truck just feels the way it's lugging that it wanted that warmup. Chris you are a guru here. I am not. You say that doing brakestands and frying a set of tires is perfectly fine and won't hurt your truck in the least-me? I would NEVER do that to my truck. I am just doing what my folks did with their cars and what I have been doing with no bad results to speak of for 33 years so far. Never had an engine crap out on me. My vehicles were always good to me. Thanks but no thanks-MY truck gets the warmup it deserves.

17. Oct 17, 2010 at 4:18 AM
    XSB41

XSB41 If I had a hammer...

Member:
    First Name:
    Rik
    Va.
    Vehicle:
    2010 SR5 4X4
    hitch haul, bed extender, bed mat, behind seat gun rack, roof rack
    I watch the Weather Channel...if Jim Cantore sez it's going to be real cold the next morning, just prior to retiring for the night, I start the truck and let it run overnight, insuring it be hot inside the cab, and the engine is ready for the 3.4 mile trek to the office...in moderately cold temps, I just put hand warmers all over the engine and save gas...Al Gore is angry w/ me for carbon foot print mockery, but I say to him; move to Quebec, where it's OK to be angry and leave yer ride running 24/7:p

18. Oct 17, 2010 at 5:42 AM
    cobrakenny

cobrakenny Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Raleigh, NC
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Crew Cab 4x4 LB
    In warm weather, a couple of minutes. In cold weather, untill the widsheild defrosts. Then I go but drive it easy untill she warms up all the way.

I have all the scientific evidence I need living right next door to me!

Two late model sport utes and two late model cars for the older kids. Four different manufacturers, all with modern engines. Each one of them nails the gas out of the neighborhood no sooner than the starter stops spinning each and every time.

All four cars run like crap and blow smoke at just a few years old.

19. Oct 17, 2010 at 5:45 AM
    NWtacoma

NWtacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Kent,WA
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Sport 4x4
    265/70/17 bfg AT
    no warm up

20. Oct 17, 2010 at 5:56 AM
    The_Hodge

The_Hodge Volunteer Moderator

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    Seeing the third gen section forced me to get a Ford...
    only warm up i ever do is to heat the inside of the truck to defrost...full blast/full heat/defrost only settings. any other time i just go.

Products Discussed in

To Top