1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Warm up or not?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by newtaco2008, Oct 16, 2010.

1. Oct 17, 2010 at 6:20 AM
    inouk

inouk Well-Known Member

Member:
    My older car (Pontiac Sunfire), I did 205 000 km without warming up but I drive slowly for the first minutes, except when temperature go below -15C/-20C, then I'll let warm it up to 20-30 seconds. Never had any engine issues and still going strong and I sold my car to my brother which he's never let warm it up in any temperatures.

I do the same thing with the Tacoma.

And I live in Quebec.

I know that oil need to go to some places, but it's already ready to circulate when you start. It doesn't take 2 minutes to circulate. What's the difference between idling at higher RPM because of throttle (around 2000 RPM) and driving up in that range. More, while driving, you also "lubricate/warm up" bearings in wheels and the tranny and other moving parts. You go slowly for the first minutes and then you can do wathever you want.

Letting it idling 2-3 minutes is useless. Did you knowAAA/CAA doesn't recommend to let it idle for more than 30 seconds, even in colder temperatures, because you're warming up only the engine and not the other parts. More, engine will warm up quickly while driving instead of letting it idle in driveway.

And please, be polite. World is big, to each his own.

2. Oct 17, 2010 at 6:32 AM
    mws4ua

mws4ua I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Birmingham
    Vehicle:
    2018 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 4x4... Yeah yeah, I know.
    No surprise here, but I'm with Chris. Besides that, he's the only one in 2+ pages who has supported his position with any kind of evidence/logic.

I let the truck warm up as long as it takes me to strap in and fiddle with the radio. When it's cold, it warms up until I can see out the windshield.

3. Oct 17, 2010 at 6:36 AM
    mws4ua

mws4ua I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Birmingham
    Vehicle:
    2018 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 4x4... Yeah yeah, I know.
    OK, so I'm not trying to be mean, but given Canadian stereotypes, this made me laugh out loud.

4. Oct 17, 2010 at 6:40 AM
    tacomathom

tacomathom Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    It's not new, it's not Mexico
    I think idling for more than 60 seconds just wastes fuel.

5. Oct 17, 2010 at 7:08 AM
    dog tired

dog tired Well-Known Member

Member:
    NE Ohio
    My warm up is the thirty seconds it takes me to reach the first stop sign... I drive slow.

6. Oct 17, 2010 at 7:16 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Thats Fine Frank. :) Letting the engin warm up, or not is a personal choice. Im just trying to give info for those that think, if they dont allow it to warm up, damage will be done to the engine. And fwiw, brake stands DO burn up the rear brakes quicker......if you do it for a while, they could be damaged. :)

7. Oct 17, 2010 at 7:25 AM
    moto932

moto932 What's the matter, Colonel Sandurz? CHICKEN?

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Dayton, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    04 TRD Off Road
    Basically stock. OME 882s, HD Dakars and nitrochrgers, TG front bumper, custom rear bumper, 4Xinnovations sliders, RAT skids, Softopper, 255/85/16 ST MAXX's on 16" steelies, 1" B.O.R.A. wheel spacers Scangaugae II, deck plate mod, grey wire mod,ECGS bushing, diff breather relocation, alarm mod, defrost w/o compressor mod, de-badged, sockmonkey beside decals.
    :notsure:what's this brake stand you speak of?

8. Oct 17, 2010 at 7:27 AM
    The_Hodge

The_Hodge Volunteer Moderator

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    Seeing the third gen section forced me to get a Ford...
    i think the old folks are talking about power braking/burnouts:D

9. Oct 17, 2010 at 7:29 AM
    rme

rme Well-Known Member

Member:
    Savannah
    Vehicle:
    Green TACOMA
    XM, Panasonic Stereo, Headlights,Electric Ant,Toyota Deluxe Wheels, Rhino Lining, Cargo Rails
    I've watched this thread and others similar to it and I'm taking the position that an engine is an engine....So I went out and looked at my VW manual and TACO manual. The Taco manual (95 model) said warm the engine before driving off. BUT....the VW manual said start and drive off immediately. Same as my 84 VW manual so when I got to Germany (where it's very cold) in 1984 I went to the VW smart people and asked them why I don't warm the engine up before drive off! Their answer made sense to me....(but what the heck do I know) When you shut your car off oil remains in/on certain moving parts of the car. When you warm the car engine up this oil is slung off the parts (lubrication) and will not recirculate until the engine is warm. So driving the car immediately after start up warms the engine and other fluids much quicker there by allowing for better lubrication quicker. I've adopted that strategy since "84" and have had no problems with my american, japanese or german engineered cars. Not an engineer just a nug head that will listen then follow directions.

For you guys in Canada maybe you can stop by a VW place and confirm what I just wrote since you do have dealerships up there. My 2004 VW Diesel manual says the same thing. Start then drive off. I think common sense says don't get in a drag race and avoid high revs until the engine gauges show the vehicle is warming up. By the way I followed the start and drive advice when stationed in Kansas during the winter as well. Anybody been to KS knows just how cold the winters can get there....

I agree with Chris 4x4. Lots of stuff going on in these engines we have these days.

10. Oct 17, 2010 at 7:30 AM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    This.

Idling and engine causes less complete combustion because the engine stays cooler longer.

Gentle revs (like acceleration) are the best way to warm modern engines the most quickly.

By the same token, that's GENTLE revs...don't start it up at 20 degrees and floor it unless you're trying to escape from zombies. Wait til the engine is up to temp (and doing its best work) before making it work for you.

11. Oct 17, 2010 at 7:36 AM
    Jester243

Jester243 all I wanted was a god dang picture of a hotdog...

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Trail Premium 4Runner w/ KDSS
    some of this, a little of that

^^ this :laugh:

12. Oct 17, 2010 at 8:59 AM
    knayrb

knayrb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Somewhere in the square states
    Vehicle:
    2010 Dbl-Cab Off-Road
    Pure stock
    Those of you that live where it never gets below 40 shouldn't worry about this. Those of us that wake up to below freezing for half a year should at least think about it. I warm my truck up sometimes because it's more comfortable for me to have the heater running. It's all about me and not the truck. For sure I will get it running while I scrape ice/snow off the windows.

The newer modern oils get lubricating immediately and so I don't think anything about it. I'll have a new truck before this one wears out due to idling on a cold morning.

13. Oct 17, 2010 at 9:14 AM
    Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Rocklin, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2001 prerunner doublecab limited
    2001 with; cat-back side-swept twin exhaust, elbow mod, Westin bullbar with Hella 450 driving lights, Snugtop XTR camper shell, TRD off-road 2x4-black beauty.
    who the hell you callin old-you better get your head on straight! mr. hodge...at the wodge podge lodge GIT OUTA DODGE:D

CHRIS- yeah I know but ya came in right after me. That guy who says Chris is the only one who backed up with evidence or facts-WHAT ABOUT MY 14 VEHICLES OVER 33 YEARS?? I never use caps but gees are my words invisible or do you think I am bullshitting? You guys can google this subject and you will find plllllenty of folks defending BOTH sides of this dead horse-and both sides with facts and evidence:)

14. Oct 17, 2010 at 9:17 AM
    WABOOM

WABOOM Well-Known Member

Member:
    Minnesota yeah sure ya betcha
    Vehicle:
    2013 F-150 XLT Supercrew 4x4
    debadged
    dude explain to us how idling is bad for an engine. :confused: It has oil pressure, coolant circulation, no load, normal/low RPM's and is doing exactly what it is designed to do. Please explain. the worst thing for an engine is high rpm's or excessive load ! hello

15. Oct 17, 2010 at 9:18 AM
    cummins6speed

cummins6speed Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '05 4Runner Limited Edition
    Custom extended travel 2.5" King RR coilovers, 1.25" Camburg uniball uppers, homebuilt tube bumper
    You must be using some very thick oil. Do you do your own oil changes? Is it really that thick when it comes out of the bottle?

16. Oct 17, 2010 at 9:21 AM
    The_Hodge

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    lol...senile jibberjabber. dont get da bears on me!!

17. Oct 17, 2010 at 9:26 AM
    ImpulseRed008

ImpulseRed008 Gone But Not Forgotten

Member:
    First Name:
    Susan
    SC
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 V6 w/tow pkg
    OEM SS tube steps, Access LE tonneau cover, pop n'lock, AVS in-channel vent visors, stubby antenna, Wet Okole seat covers, bed mat, rear diff breather mod, 4 extra d rings in bed, K&N air filter.
    X2 Gotta warm them up to clear the frost off the windows.

Otherwise, turn them on, seat belt, radio, sunglasses and go. Just don't try to accelerate too fast until she's warmed some.

18. Oct 17, 2010 at 9:27 AM
    Ridgerunner

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Rocklin, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2001 with; cat-back side-swept twin exhaust, elbow mod, Westin bullbar with Hella 450 driving lights, Snugtop XTR camper shell, TRD off-road 2x4-black beauty.
    yabut MY jibberwhatever rhymes-naw I'll give you a buzzcut and a whoopass myself kid:D

19. Oct 17, 2010 at 9:27 AM
    The_Hodge

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    haha...CAROLINA ALLIANCE!!!!! :D

20. Oct 17, 2010 at 9:32 AM
    Ridgerunner

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Rocklin, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    LOL ok hodgie you win

Products Discussed in

To Top