Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Those with camper tops!!

Old 10-18-2010, 05:02 PM   #1
whitetaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Frank
whitetaco02's Tacoma Gallery
Those with camper tops!!

Do you regret getting one?

Pros and Cons?

If you have a double cab shortbed with a camper top and your truck is magnetic gray metallic in color please post up some pics and what kind you have.

Thanks!
Old 10-18-2010, 06:09 PM   #2
If The World Didn't Suck, We'd All Fall Off
Rocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
Rocketball's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetaco02 View Post
Do you regret getting one?

Pros and Cons?

If you have a double cab shortbed with a camper top and your truck is magnetic gray metallic in color please post up some pics and what kind you have.

Thanks!
No, I do not regret it, but I use my DC truck more as a second family 4WD vehicle, not really as a pickup truck.

Pros -
1. Nice additional lockable and dry storage area
2. Adds a little aftermarket style.

Cons -
1. Limits what you can haul unless you take it off.
Old 10-18-2010, 06:16 PM   #4
tacomadude18 has much to be proud oftacomadude18 has much to be proud oftacomadude18 has much to be proud oftacomadude18 has much to be proud oftacomadude18 has much to be proud oftacomadude18 has much to be proud oftacomadude18 has much to be proud oftacomadude18 has much to be proud of

Name: carlitos
tacomadude18's Tacoma Gallery
well in the snow its nice gives it some weight, then in the summer i usally take mine off. unless i go on a trip. does come in handy. so.. i dont regret it. XD
Old 10-18-2010, 06:33 PM   #5
Shiester
BCH is on a distinguished road

Name: Chris
BCH's Tacoma Gallery
I love my ARE Camper top. I would say this though, If your gonna get one.......Get one with opening side windows. I have the windows that open that are lockable and I never have to crawl up in the truck after anything. ARE makes them for sure but I don't know about other brands.

Old 10-18-2010, 06:49 PM   #6
Blake is on a distinguished road
Blake's Tacoma Gallery
Love mine. I get a shit ton more storage than a 4Runner, and weatherproof storage for all of my stuff.
Old 10-18-2010, 07:21 PM   #7
ouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Royal Canadian Air Force: Mobile Support Equipment Operator
Name: Ryan
ouyin2000's Tacoma Gallery
I'm loving mine so far. It just completes the look.

I have a '99 F150 without a canopy, and it was a real pain in the rear to have to bring everything into the cab.

Old 10-18-2010, 08:15 PM   #8
tacomadude18 has much to be proud oftacomadude18 has much to be proud oftacomadude18 has much to be proud oftacomadude18 has much to be proud oftacomadude18 has much to be proud oftacomadude18 has much to be proud oftacomadude18 has much to be proud oftacomadude18 has much to be proud of

and heres a pic of mine
Old 10-18-2010, 08:25 PM   #9
vermintrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedvermintrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedvermintrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedvermintrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedvermintrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedvermintrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedvermintrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedvermintrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedvermintrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedvermintrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedvermintrex is one of the sharper tools in the shed

vermintrex's Tacoma Gallery
Regrets ? What would I have to regret ? If I don't want it on, I can take it off. If I want to keep all the camping gear, groceries, Costco stuff etc. dry, then I keep it on.

Old 10-18-2010, 08:39 PM   #10
ouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by vermintrex View Post
Regrets ? What would I have to regret ? If I don't want it on, I can take it off. If I want to keep all the camping gear, groceries, Costco stuff etc. dry, then I keep it on.

Is there some special technique you used to taking off the LEER sticker on the back window? It bugs the hell out of me when I use my rear view mirrior.
Old 10-18-2010, 08:44 PM   #11
ASH is a splendid one to beholdASH is a splendid one to beholdASH is a splendid one to beholdASH is a splendid one to beholdASH is a splendid one to beholdASH is a splendid one to beholdASH is a splendid one to beholdASH is a splendid one to behold

ASH's Tacoma Gallery
No regrets here; keeps things dry and secure and I think it looks good on the double cab short beds.

Old 10-18-2010, 09:34 PM   #12
vermintrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedvermintrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedvermintrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedvermintrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedvermintrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedvermintrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedvermintrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedvermintrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedvermintrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedvermintrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedvermintrex is one of the sharper tools in the shed

vermintrex's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ouyin2000 View Post
Is there some special technique you used to taking off the LEER sticker on the back window? It bugs the hell out of me when I use my rear view mirrior.
Nope...unless you call my fingernail a special technique

I peeled that thing off the first day I got the cap.
Old 10-18-2010, 09:44 PM   #13
ian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
ian408's Tacoma Gallery
I don't regret purchasing a camper shell at all. Poopers hangs out there (Riley, the dog. It's his nickname).

The PITA part is carrying 2 dirtbikes. For that, I now need to find a trailer. For just one, I have a Versa-Haul and that works out pretty well.

I added the Firestone Air Lift bags to deal with the extra load.

My shell is a SnugTop--and to get the logo off, I used a 25lb fishing line.
Old 10-18-2010, 10:00 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by vermintrex View Post
Nope...unless you call my fingernail a special technique

I peeled that thing off the first day I got the cap.
Doh!

I havn't even bothered really looking at it, just noticed it the other day that it is actually bugging me. I can read it in the mirror!
Old 10-18-2010, 10:20 PM   #15
Underprepared and Overconfident
DubyaDawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedDubyaDawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedDubyaDawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedDubyaDawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedDubyaDawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedDubyaDawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedDubyaDawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedDubyaDawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedDubyaDawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedDubyaDawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedDubyaDawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DubyaDawg's Tacoma Gallery
I always though Tacos are some of the few trucks that actually look cool with shells, most just look like crap.
Old 10-18-2010, 10:26 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian408 View Post
I don't regret purchasing a camper shell at all. Poopers hangs out there (Riley, the dog. It's his nickname).

The PITA part is carrying 2 dirtbikes. For that, I now need to find a trailer. For just one, I have a Versa-Haul and that works out pretty well.

I added the Firestone Air Lift bags to deal with the extra load.

My shell is a SnugTop--and to get the logo off, I used a 25lb fishing line.
yea looks sweet! any engine mods?
Old 10-18-2010, 10:35 PM   #17
ian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
ian408's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomadude18 View Post
yea looks sweet! any engine mods?
None yet. Haven't made any decisions on that--I have a fast car
Old 10-19-2010, 12:22 AM   #18
Taco4x4NC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco4x4NC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco4x4NC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco4x4NC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco4x4NC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco4x4NC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco4x4NC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco4x4NC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco4x4NC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco4x4NC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco4x4NC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Helo nighttime recon extended perimeter security
Name: David
Taco4x4NC's Tacoma Gallery
topper

Pros of a topper.......as someone else mentioned......it completes the look. and its dry lockable space I otherwise would not have.

And if I want to remove it...4 clamps. ARE "Z" is what I decided on. I am using my backup camera now more since I have the topper installed.

Old 10-19-2010, 06:44 AM   #19
There's an evil monkey in my truck
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Name: Robert
Evil Monkey's Tacoma Gallery
Just bought mine. I love it so far.
Old 10-19-2010, 12:03 PM   #20
Taco Truck Noob
Jefenator is one of the sharper tools in the shedJefenator is one of the sharper tools in the shedJefenator is one of the sharper tools in the shedJefenator is one of the sharper tools in the shedJefenator is one of the sharper tools in the shedJefenator is one of the sharper tools in the shedJefenator is one of the sharper tools in the shedJefenator is one of the sharper tools in the shedJefenator is one of the sharper tools in the shedJefenator is one of the sharper tools in the shedJefenator is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Jefenator's Tacoma Gallery
I never thought about the rear weight bonus... built-in sandbag... sweet!!!

Since I'm always hauling & storing stuff that shouldn't get rained on, I never for a moment considered not having one.

Cons? If you don't need it the way some of us do, you might have something you'd rather do with the money.