1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Shifting the 6spd manual quickly

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Accel Junky, Oct 19, 2010.

?

Is the 1-2 full throttle upshift jerky with the manual trans?

Poll closed Nov 18, 2010.
  1. Yes, it's hard to upshift 1-2 during hard acceleration

43 vote(s)
    43.9%
  2. No, you need to adjust your technique.

55 vote(s)
    56.1%
  1. Oct 19, 2010 at 7:59 PM
    Accel Junky

Accel Junky [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Kennesaw, GA
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4 6spd DC
    Just curious...I'm a veteran manual trans guy and can quickly and precisely. I've noticed in the Tacoma so far if I nail it in first and go to snatch 2nd the truck bucks rather badly on the upshift. I really have to slow the shift down quite a bit (pause with clutch in second before releasing) to get a smooth upshift.

Am I too used to sports cars or is my technique off?

2. Oct 19, 2010 at 8:01 PM
    brow

brow Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    2020 Dodge Ram 1500
    you are too used to sports cars, its a truck, and it shifts like a truck. I drove my buddys A4 turbo the other day, the difference between shift feel was so radically different I thought I wasnt even engaging the transmission.

3. Oct 19, 2010 at 8:18 PM
    Avsguy33

Avsguy33 Well-Known Member

Member:
    I would agree with the sports car thing. All my cars are manual and if I shift my Taco like I do my GTO it feels like its coming apart.

4. Oct 19, 2010 at 8:34 PM
    ouyin2000

ouyin2000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    '11 DCSB TRD Sport
    Leer 100XL Canopy, OEM Side steps, TRD Oil Cap, TRD License Plate Cover, WeatherTech Digital Fit Liners, Elite O/R Hitch Shackle, Katzkin Leather Interior, LED Interior Lighting, Foglight Anytime mod, Illuminated 4x4 switch, Grom Audio Aux adapter, Redline Goods leather shift boot console cover and door handle pulls, Sockmonkey bedside decals, Dynolock electric tailgate lock
    you say you're a veteran at manual trans, but can you shift without the clutch? haha.

So far, I've been getting good at going from 2nd to 3rd without the clutch.

5. Oct 19, 2010 at 8:40 PM
    RelentlessFab

RelentlessFab Eric @Relentless Fab Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Sparks, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 AC 6mt>03 SR5 >08 Sport and 17 6MT TRD OR
    Relentless Armored! Too many others to list.
    I can shift mine fine. I mean its a lil rough, but not bad at all once you learn the truck and the best technique. consider a short throw shift kit for it. I wouldnt want my 6 speed without it now that I know better! ;) :D

6. Oct 19, 2010 at 10:42 PM
    kauaibuilt

kauaibuilt U no kea but AINOFEA!

Member:
    LA/SGV
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCSB
    Check out my sig...
    +1 - I used the URD SS kit with a 1st gen and was first mod into my 2nd gen. Waaaaay better shifting, you wont regret it!

7. Oct 20, 2010 at 12:24 AM
    Kelson

Kelson Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelson
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    08 5-Lug Reg. Cab SR5
    SR5 Exterior/Interior (Color matched Front Bumper, Chrome Grille Surround and Chrome Rear Bumper/Silver Scoshe Dash Kit, A/C Bezel, A/C Vent Surround) LED license plate and white interior lights, Wet Okole Seat Covers, iPad in-Dash, JL CL-RLC, JL 13TW5 sub, JL 500/1 Slash V1 amp, JL XR 6.5 Components, Rockford Fosgate 6X9s in Boxes Front XRunner Coils, DJM Control Arms and Rear 4X4 Leafs, Custom 2" Angled Streetacos.com Blocks Front XR Bilstien Struts and Rear XR Bilstien Shocks, CravenSpeen Antennae, RX-8 Rims w/ Fronts:235/40-R18 Sumitomo HTR Rears:245/40-R18 Goodyear Eagle GT, 35% Tint front windows, OEM Sliding Privacy Glass w/ 5% Ceramic Tint, Flowmaster Super 44 dumped before the axle, URD Short Throw Shifter, Door Sill Protectors, Door Edge Guards, OEM Sport Pedals,The Retrofit Source Morimoto Mini D2S Stage III 35W 5K HID Headlights, OEM Fog Lights w/ piss yellow bulbs, OEM Cruise Control, Porsche 944 Bucket Seats, BeefedTaco Skid Plate, Whale
    the URD short shifter kit is WIN. the 5 speeds have this 1nd to 2nd upshift problem as well, i personally think its worse, and it fixes it. ive also driven the 6 speed with the URD SS and it makes a huge difference. you can actually bang out the gears with it

8. Oct 20, 2010 at 12:24 AM
    Kelson

Kelson Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelson
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    08 5-Lug Reg. Cab SR5
    SR5 Exterior/Interior (Color matched Front Bumper, Chrome Grille Surround and Chrome Rear Bumper/Silver Scoshe Dash Kit, A/C Bezel, A/C Vent Surround) LED license plate and white interior lights, Wet Okole Seat Covers, iPad in-Dash, JL CL-RLC, JL 13TW5 sub, JL 500/1 Slash V1 amp, JL XR 6.5 Components, Rockford Fosgate 6X9s in Boxes Front XRunner Coils, DJM Control Arms and Rear 4X4 Leafs, Custom 2" Angled Streetacos.com Blocks Front XR Bilstien Struts and Rear XR Bilstien Shocks, CravenSpeen Antennae, RX-8 Rims w/ Fronts:235/40-R18 Sumitomo HTR Rears:245/40-R18 Goodyear Eagle GT, 35% Tint front windows, OEM Sliding Privacy Glass w/ 5% Ceramic Tint, Flowmaster Super 44 dumped before the axle, URD Short Throw Shifter, Door Sill Protectors, Door Edge Guards, OEM Sport Pedals,The Retrofit Source Morimoto Mini D2S Stage III 35W 5K HID Headlights, OEM Fog Lights w/ piss yellow bulbs, OEM Cruise Control, Porsche 944 Bucket Seats, BeefedTaco Skid Plate, Whale
    the URD short shifter kit is WIN. the 5 speeds have this 1nd to 2nd upshift problem as well, i personally think its worse, and it fixes it. ive also driven the 6 speed with the URD SS and it makes a huge difference. you can actually bang out the gears with it

9. Oct 20, 2010 at 3:47 AM
    jester156

jester156 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Cumberland, RI
    Vehicle:
    2021 GMC Sierra AT4. 3.0l Duramax
    the other problem might be the drive by wire vs a throttle cable of older cars.
    X whatever on the SS from URD. its the bomb

10. Oct 20, 2010 at 3:53 AM
    tacomarich

tacomarich luvsoffroading

Member:
    First Name:
    rich
    arizona
    Vehicle:
    trd 4x4 offroad
    i find if i shift from 1st into 2nd right about 2 rpm, i get a smoother shift and into third, fourth and so on. if i try and race it quickly and over rev the rpms too high, then the shifting isn't as smooth and tends to buck a bit with the clutch engaged too much. also i find when engaging 1st gear, i have the clutch all the way pushed down, or when engaging 4x4 or 4lo w locker. otherwise halfway or a little less engaging the clutch when shifting into each gear, other than 1st gear, helps with a smooth and quick shift and the engine doesn't whine as much.

11. Oct 20, 2010 at 4:15 AM
    Kelson

Kelson Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelson
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    08 5-Lug Reg. Cab SR5
    nah idk i think the drive by wire might help...it keeps your rpms from dropping between shifts...but you never know. lol.

12. Oct 20, 2010 at 4:53 AM
    Chris(NJ)

Chris(NJ) Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Usually in Central Jersey
    Vehicle:
    08 Indigo 4x4 DC OR
    Mods are currently being changed .....
    Cant say. I've never got on it hard enough to see what shifting near/at redline is like in the truck. :eek:

13. Oct 20, 2010 at 6:10 AM
    ExTurbo

ExTurbo Active Member

Member:
    Burlington NJ
    Vehicle:
    11 Tacoma-2.7
    ^^ what he said,I don't think the clutch will return fast enough for a quick gear change

14. Oct 20, 2010 at 6:49 AM
    teamfast

teamfast Get busy living, or get busy dying.

Member:
    Winnipeg, Manitoba
    Vehicle:
    '10 DCLB
    BFG AT TKO2s 34 x 10.5 x17, Leer 550 Tonneau cover, weather tech digi fit liners, Viper 5901 remote start/security, 2" fr spacer, 3" TC AAL, All Pro IFS skid plate, Trans skid plate & Transfer Case skid plate, 12" roof mounted flip down dvd player, In channel vent visors.
    dont shift without using the clutch. I thought I was getting good at it once too and wore the synchros down in my mazdas trans so bad that even when you were shifting WITH the clutch it was sloppy and hard to engage.

15. Oct 20, 2010 at 7:48 AM
    T0LLPHR33

T0LLPHR33 Well-Known Member

Member:
    S1N C1TY...(from Hilo, HI)...
    Vehicle:
    BSP TRD Off-Road
    APR X-1 | TRD CAI w/Clear Cover | TRD Short Shifter w/ TRD "RED" Shift Knob | SGII w/Blendmount| Snugtop SL w/KeyLess Entry | 5% Tint | Pop-n-Lock | Bosch Icon WB | S2K Antenna | HRM | LS 8K Projectors w/BSP HLM & 8K Fogs w/FLM | Debadged |Tinted Tails | Black Weathertechs | MX RGM & RBM | Optima Red Top 35 | Gatorback Belt |
    its just a matter of matching the RPMs through the gears...

the only time I shift without the clutch is after a long hard day of snowboarding or dirtbiking...legs are usually fatigued at that point...lol

I got the TRD S/S kit...love how short the throws are and it doesn't feel notchy...but I only slam gears when I am in a hurry or feel like whipping the @ss end around a little (only during rain/snowy conditions)...:cool:

16. Oct 20, 2010 at 8:19 AM
    skunk

skunk what did I miss?

Member:
    First Name:
    Rudi
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD 4x4 (STOLEN)
    YOU WILL BE MISSED Satoshi Grill, FX-R retros, husky liners, bed bolt d-rings, TRD short throw shifter, 2.5 Fox Coil overs, AP UCA's, AP Expo rear leaf with Fox 2.0 shocks, Extended SS brake lines, AP kick-out sliders, 265/75/16 on Konig Countersteers, AllPro Apex front bumper and Zip Ties.
    :D the short throw kit is worth every penny! I just installed it this weekend and I cannot believe the difference! :eek: I don't understand why the truck doesn't come with it from the factory?

17. Oct 20, 2010 at 8:26 AM
    Navigator

Navigator Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    05 DC Sport 6spd
    17" American Racing Assaults on 265/70/17 Goodyear AT/S, TRD Exhaust, TRD CAI, Toyota Roof Rack, XM install with antenna out 3rd brake light, Red LED Map Lights, AUX Amber LED rocker switch for LED footwell lights, LUND Bug Screen, EXTANG Tri-Fold Tonneau, Hertz Component Speakers w/ TacoTunes Mounts, Infinity Kappa 4 amp, Image Dynamics 10" sub in TacoTunes enclosure, Pop n' Lock, Toyota Aluminum Wedge Running Boards, BHLM, Self Performed '05 Cowl Leak TSB, E-Z Cool Insulation/Sound Deadener applied to floorboard, headliner, and cab bulkhead, 896 Foglight bulbs as backup lights, Weathertechs, Pioneer Double Din, Scan Gauge, AutoSoft Remote Start, 2010 4Runner Heated/Signal/Puddle Mirrors.
    Try progressive shifting and you'll be amazed at how smooth the shifts can be. I've been getting into 6th gear by 40mph, shifting as early as I can. Much easier on the whole truck and yields excellent fuel economy.

18. Oct 20, 2010 at 3:03 PM
    Dadic 78

Dadic 78 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Fil
    Edmonton, AB CANADA
    Vehicle:
    08 Double cab TRD
    You can get a smooth shift with this truck at higher RPM. I do it regularly. You'll have to shift fast, that's about all I can say. It took me some practice, but it's do-able.

It's much easier to do this in my Firebird, but hey, for a truck, it's plenty fast, and definitely capable of high-RPM shifting.

19. Oct 20, 2010 at 3:40 PM
    TACK

TACK Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    10 PreRunner TRD Off-Road MGM
    Bilstein 5100s at 1.75", Level 8 Tracker wheels, white lithium grease mod for creaky clutch pedal
    I couldn't agree more. I just installed mine today and I LOVE it!

20. Oct 20, 2010 at 3:41 PM
    Kelson

Kelson Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelson
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    08 5-Lug Reg. Cab SR5
    x2 we don't drive trans' without syncros. use the clutch lol. and idk how that makes you a "veteran" i've been driving standard for only 2 1/2 years and i can do it...

Products Discussed in

To Top