1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

AUTO LSD (or Not) for added traction in 2WD?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by David K, Oct 19, 2010.

1. Nov 2, 2010 at 11:47 AM
    sloppyjoe

sloppyjoe They are more like guide lines.

Member:
    All Over
    Vehicle:
    Silver and simple
    Non

I have done just that before. When you apply the brake it fools the axle into thinking the tire has traction, thusly turning the other tire as well. The axle does not know if its brake or traction it just senses the wheels having traction and spins them both. MAYBE, this is not the same on a Tacoma but I cannot see why? JOE>

2. Nov 2, 2010 at 12:27 PM
    David K

David K [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    Not on the beach south of San Felipe... bottomless, coarse sand/ crushed sea shells... you sink if you don't deflate, typically. If you follow any of my numerous posts on Baja or beach driving you will see that not only the type of sand matters, but the temperature/ humidity does as well.

Now, on the same beach 6 months later, I had to deflate even with TRAC... so it depends on current conditions.

The point is that LIMITED SLIP improves driving in deep sand... at least with the Toyota TRACtion control!

Photo shows the difference between 32 psi and 15 psi for floatation:

7-18-10003_964b78300b76abfe670a3ea8ec67278d8455810d.jpg

3. Nov 2, 2010 at 9:39 PM
    Isthatahemi

Isthatahemi Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD OFF ROAD
    BFG AT's, Weathertechs, Hoppy's brake controller.
    I think you just convinced anyone else who didn't realize that despite all of your statements, you basically do not off road your truck. You really haven't a clue.
    Air your tires up and try to drive on the dunes at Pismo......If you ever decide to venture Off Road.

4. Nov 2, 2010 at 9:42 PM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    Yup, and all he seems to like to do is put down traction systems he doesn't even have or has ever driven! I want to watch him on a beach in Baja drive it at 32 psi, with open diffs. Since he is probably affraid to leave the USA, the dunes at Pismo may have to do??

5. Nov 2, 2010 at 10:13 PM
    island808

island808 Me l've got brains.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jedediah
    hawaii
    Vehicle:
    '10 6speed 4x4 access cab
    I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. I've driven on sand on many beaches/deserts on 2 continents and several islands and they are all completely different. Some harden up like pavement when rolled over some just gobble you up. Of course, I don't think I've ever driven on a different beach with the same vehicle ... ever...

Turns out a land rover 110 and a beetle act differently in sand.

6. Nov 2, 2010 at 11:01 PM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    I moded 1999 Taco so much it had turned to Land Cruiser
    Or maybe you should learn how to drive and read. Does that look like F.. dune to you?
    7-18-10003_964b78300b76abfe670a3ea8ec67278d8455810d.jpg
    Second when we go to OBX we never airdown and even my wife has no issues.
    Same LI 4x4 area.
    here is a picture of the OBX beach (picture not mine). Anybody from NC here can chime in how easy is to drive there especialy on exits.
    [​IMG]
    I think you need to learn how to drive first before you open your mouth. Just a suggestion :rolleyes:

7. Nov 2, 2010 at 11:13 PM
    Yoytoda

Yoytoda The Little Truck That Could

Member:
    First Name:
    Roland
    Big Bear,CA / Upstate NY(Saratoga)
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Regular Cab 4x4
    completely stock
    another pissing match?

fwiw Trac works way better than open open on sugar sand...

NC beaches arent bottomless like cali sand. cali sand (because its so dry here) doesnt have any moisture to hold it together/pack it.

Edit: notice you can see tread definition on the sand in the NC pic and the cali pic there is no moisture to hold the sand together hense no tracks

Also, to previous post that ALSD wont stop a tire dead, it will and i have. it will transfer 100% of the power to the other side by stopping the tire in the air, something no auto lsd will ever do

8. Nov 2, 2010 at 11:14 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    This thread is now a repeat of the pissing match in the ATrac thread .

Lame .

Edit ^^^ Yoytoda beat me to it .

9. Nov 2, 2010 at 11:41 PM
    uood8

uood8 If You Search...You Shall Find.

Member:
    Greensboro, NC
    Vehicle:
    '16 Sr5 4x4 DCSB
    Pretty much stock
    NC beaches are very solid. I was just down there a few weeks ago and did not see one vehicle have any issues, however it would be pretty ignorant to think that all beaches are the same way.

10. Nov 3, 2010 at 7:02 AM
    PSJ

PSJ Prerunners Work

Member:
    Sebastian Inlet
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab Prerunner
    Rear Leaf spring TSB, Bilstein 5100's all around w/ front set at 1.75", 265/75R/16 Mickey Thompson Baja STZ's, Trailer hitch w/custom wiring, AFE drop in dry filter, Rear Diff breather mod, Debadged truck, customized stock TRD wheel center caps, added factory fog lights, bed mat, door sills, tinted windows
    The first time I dropped my boat at the local ramp, when the truck was new my rear tires were spinning and I thought I was going to roll back into the water, as the tires were spinning and I was sliding backwards. I then tried the auto LSD and the truck just climbed off the ramp with no tire spin, almost like I was in 4 low. It worked great and now I am a fan! :cool:

11. Nov 3, 2010 at 8:49 AM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Excellent!

12. Nov 3, 2010 at 4:05 PM
    Isthatahemi

Isthatahemi Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD OFF ROAD
    BFG AT's, Weathertechs, Hoppy's brake controller.
    Surprise surprise......BlueT bashing a traction adding system in another thread......

13. Nov 4, 2010 at 6:35 AM
    supralight

supralight Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Earth
    Vehicle:
    2013 4Runner limited
    Also, the mod that closed the other thread is a TRD SPORT owner. Hmm weird. Well it must be frustrating that your full load tacoma miss the most important feature.

14. Nov 4, 2010 at 9:11 AM
    NAYo2002

NAYo2002 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Great Falls, MT
    Vehicle:
    '09 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Off Road
    Michelin LTX A/T2, TRD Skid Plate, WeatherTech DigiFit Liners, OEM Bed Extender, OEM Bed mat, Advantage TorzaTop Trifold Tonneau, Pop & Lock PL5300
    I think the mod closed it because it was getting out of control. Everything that needed to be said was already said and most agreed to disagree.

People were doing personal attacks and racist remarks after about page 12, it had to be closed.

Bottom line: ASLD and ATRAC may not work as well as lockers, it may not even make much difference in some situations than open diffs... but it def is better than open diffs in most situations.

You are simply ignorant and don't know how differentials work if you think vehicles with Traction Control are going to be worse off than open differential vehicles.

15. Nov 4, 2010 at 9:16 AM
    Yoytoda

Yoytoda The Little Truck That Could

Member:
    First Name:
    Roland
    Big Bear,CA / Upstate NY(Saratoga)
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Regular Cab 4x4
    completely stock
    agreed, then the douchery continued by people saying others are jealous of there trucks... thems fightin' words, really mature.

You dont like it? you must be jealous...:rolleyes: thats what the fat chicks say to the hot chicks when they get made fun of. "you must be jealous"

let blue t not like them, oh well. it doesnt hurt my feelings he doesnt like my TRAC. To me it works way better then open/open. especially in mud/sand/snow

16. Nov 4, 2010 at 9:45 AM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    How about a quote where I am bashing traction adding system in this thread. Again if you can't read and have very little knowledge about topic its best to stay i n the corner and rather ask question...[​IMG] (and your questions should have been " what tires are you running?")

I replay and quoted David's open differential comment. When I said "something wrong" I meant just that. The truth is if you have crappy tires nothing will help you. Especially with driving on sand. Although, there are Defenders on skinny tires that manage Sahara desert. if you have tires with big enough foot print you can run open diffs with out airing down most of the time. Unless, of course you planning something crazy like climbing dunes but this was not part of the topic. David posted a picture of the beach, I posted too. What he posted does not require airing down even with open diffs not at least by my standards (unless your tires are from Prius).

Its funny how some (not pointing at you) act like rich kids who are trying to impress others just because they wrote check to Toyota.
    "Look at me I have this $4k option therefore my truck is most capable on the planet, and if you are not like me with the expensive option, then your truck is not as good as mine and you can not get to places I go."

Just a thought. Personally I am quickly irritated by spoiled brats who think skills or capability = writing check. To those, I say go stare at accessories catalog in dealership.
    Funny part is I dont see any of those people in mechanical threads troubleshooting things. I guess knowledge can not be bought :cool:

17. Nov 4, 2010 at 9:54 AM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    Thats why I wrote " not pointing at you" :rolleyes::D

18. Nov 4, 2010 at 9:05 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    LOL :p

19. Nov 4, 2010 at 9:42 PM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Yah and the moderator will probably close this thread too!?

Seriously, I asked serious questions and all I wanted to do was hear and discuss answers...

Someone without the new traction controls shouldn't even be responding negatively as if I was saying his open diffs. or after market locker was bad.... I did not.

This is my third Taco... the other two did not have traction control... and I have had other four wheelers since 1975, of my own... so I kinda know a bit about 4 wheeling.

Instead of debating me EVERY TIME I post something about the '09 or newer Tacoma traction controls, maybe just sit back and read (and maybe learn) something. If you don't have something good to say.. maybe just shut up and let others who want to expand their minds do so?

20. Nov 4, 2010 at 9:56 PM
    FIRESTARTER

FIRESTARTER Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jordan
    Highland
    this trick is really only ment for torsen type diff's and you shouldn't count on it. praying also works sometimes as well, just saying there are coincidences

beach is wet, water makes sand stick together and give better traction.

try driving in glamis's super soft and dry sand dunes, in which my trac is overly aggressive and completely stops one tire and digs in, takes a lot of power to over come that. in open mode, just keep foot down, wheel spin up and momentum usually stays up as well.

I've had and offroaded a Jeep GC '99 with quadradrive (3 auto lsd's, legit ones), 06 K1500 silverado z71 (stock autolocker, no traction control), 06 STi (3 lsd's, 1 torsen type, 1 posi clutch type, and 1 electro magnetic type). and now my trd o/r '10. and 06 yamaha wr250f and a 08 ktm excr 450.

and I think trac, atrac, alsd work EXCELLENT, except sand.

oh, btw. locker doesn't work with alsd, it will disable it and then re-enable it once you unlock. it is a awesome mod to do. locked 2wd has saved me several times by disabling abs

Products Discussed in

To Top