1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

TSB spring done after warranty?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by KauaiSandRambler, Oct 20, 2010.

1. Oct 20, 2010 at 10:07 PM
    KauaiSandRambler

KauaiSandRambler [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Kauai
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma TRD 4x4
    Anybody had any luck getting the spring TSB done after warranty expired? I got a 2007 that is like 2 months and 5000 miles over warranty, I tried to talk the service department into getting it done even though I'm a little late on it. They asked why I wanted it like I dont really need it and said my warranty is up. I explained that I paid over 30k on this truck, got the upgraded tow package and when I haul my dinky little boat or have a 300lb load my truck bottoms out when I go over a little rut. I had never really knew or thought about it to get it done under warranty until I read how so many other guys had problems with it. They do a recall for safety defects but when it comes to major quality defects they do a stupid TSB that only the technicians know about but dont check unless you tell them specifically. Anyone know another route to go to get this done?

2. Oct 21, 2010 at 2:18 AM
    808hiker

808hiker Taco addict

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Big Island, Hawaii
    I know right...Big Island Toyota was trying to give me BS when I told them about the harsh ride. Apparently I gotta bring it back with a load in the back to "prove" that a problem exists. Hell I just stand on the back bumper and it goes down like 3 inches (I'm around 240 lbs). I sure the hell am not gonna drive 60 miles from my home with the harsh ride just to prove it to them. Already had problems with this truck (rust, electronics) and they act like it's no big deal. Pisses me off...well anyway, if your dealer refuses to do it, try calling Toyota Corporate and see what they can do for you. Good luck!

3. Oct 21, 2010 at 5:02 AM
    TacoBaja

TacoBaja Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    High Desert
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma
    The local dealer also declined to do the TSB rear spring fix since my 2006 Tacoma had around 84,000 miles.

The best I could do was to get an offer to split the cost - which they estimated at my part being nearly $1,100. Fortunately I had purchased an extended factory warranty and was able to have the springs replaced using the warranty.

I am very pleased with the resulting ride off-road.

John

4. Oct 21, 2010 at 5:12 AM
    iSTIZO99

iSTIZO99 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Jax, FL
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Sport 4x4 DC/SB
    $1,100?! Wow wouldn't getting a whole new set of some aftermarket leaf springs be cheaper and maybe even better?

5. Oct 21, 2010 at 5:44 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Cheaper- Certainly. Better- All depends.

There are people who have gotten the TSB done outside warranty. And there are people who have been turned down. Gotta just work with your dealership of choice to try and get it.

6. Oct 21, 2010 at 5:56 AM
    jdavis92

jdavis92 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Boise, ID
    Vehicle:
    2010 Regular Cab, 2.7L, 5spd
    Stock
    I got my 2005 with 50K miles done this year.

I was lucky enough to have a cool service manager who let me know when the district reps were going to be in town so I got to talk to them directly about the problem.

With the way things went for Toyota this year, they were happy to do it.

Consider finding out how to contact your district reps.

Jeff in Flagstaff

7. Oct 30, 2010 at 2:44 AM
    Tacoma808

Tacoma808 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    MaRk RiNeN
    MaUi
    fog lights anytime secondary filter mod doug thorley headers long tubes urd y pipe and many more bhlm
    Well here in maui they told me it couldnt be done because the 36k miles/3 years are up. But at the same time I purchased the extended warranty and they told me that it didnt cover so now im stuck with the bend leaf springs.
    Toyota told me to go to lexus but then lexus told me to go to toyota to file a complain and the defect and they told me there was nothing they can do how BS is that man Im really dissappointed in toyota

8. Oct 30, 2010 at 5:38 AM
    kauaibuilt

kauaibuilt U no kea but AINOFEA!

Member:
    LA/SGV
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCSB
    Check out my sig...
    Cuz. what? no family or nuttin work dea or what? Jus make some calls.... Gotta have sumbody you no dat no sumbody there.

9. Nov 1, 2010 at 11:17 AM
    KauaiSandRambler

KauaiSandRambler [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Kauai
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma TRD 4x4
    You on Kauai? who at Servco is decent to work with? I talked to Ron but he was like no ways. He said those TSB's are for the mechanics to check defects, I can bet they never checked my springs in all the times I brought it in. Kinda my fault for not taking initiative earlier... guess they want me to get a Ford next time.

10. Nov 1, 2010 at 11:20 AM
    krimson

krimson Nothin

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road
    OME 3" lift with 885 coils. OME Shocks with TSB 1.5 AAL. 285/75/16 KM2s. XD Hoss 16" wheels. DDM Tuning 6000K HIDs, H10 6000K Fogs. BHLM. Debaged. 20% tint on front windows.
    I got the guy to do the leafs and my DTRL that were melting, but they dont want to change the friggin tick in my blower motor :confused:

11. Nov 1, 2010 at 1:20 PM
    kauaibuilt

kauaibuilt U no kea but AINOFEA!

Member:
    LA/SGV
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCSB
    Check out my sig...
    Born and raised but left in 1997 after HS (WHS BABY!!!!!) and only been back to visit on occasion. None of my boys or family work there that I know of though.

12. Feb 15, 2011 at 3:19 AM
    Tacoma808

Tacoma808 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    MaRk RiNeN
    MaUi
    fog lights anytime secondary filter mod doug thorley headers long tubes urd y pipe and many more bhlm
    HERE ON MAUI THEY DONT GIVE GOOD SERVICE AND NOT EVEN CORPORATE IN HONOLULU IS EVEN GIVING EFFORT TO DO ANYTHING. I GET A CALL FROM SERVCO THAT THEY WERE GOING TO CALL MAUI TOYOTA TO DO THE TSB SPRINGS BUT NEXT THING YOU KNOW THEY HAVEN'T CALLED BACK IN A WEEK. I MEAN MY LEAF SPRINGS ARE BENT FORREAL LIKE THE FRONT PART OF THE LEAF IS DOWN AND WHEN I GO ON BUMPS WITH JUST ONE PERSON OR EVEN MY MOPED IN THE BACK IT BOTTOMS OUT. I WISH IT WAS A RECALL AND MY TRANSMISSION SOUNDS LIKE A BABY BIRD UNDERNEATH AND THEY STILL DIDN'T DO ANYTHING ABOUT IT WHAT BS IS TOYOTA TRYING TO DO TO THERE CUSTOMERS.

13. Feb 15, 2011 at 3:59 AM
    28Gauge

28Gauge Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Grapevine, TX
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner SR5
    Sockmonkey Graphics, K&N Drop In Air Filter, 265/75/16 Bridgestone Dueler A/T's, Weathertech Digital Fit Floor Mats, Dee Zee Bed Mat, Map Light/Dome Light LED's, Flo-Pro Muffler w/Stainless Steel Tip, Dome Light/Map Light Mod, Mobil 1 Synthetic Motor Oil, LED Cupholder Mod, Grillcraft with TOYOTA emblem, Vision 375 Warrior Wheels, Extra Bed D Ring Mod, TRD Skidplate, Bilstein 5100's on all four corners, Front 5100's set at zero with Eibach springs, Toytec 1.5" rear TSB add-a-leaf springs, Toytec swaybar relocate kit, Katzkin Leather Seating, Front Window Tint
    I tried to get it done after the warranty expired with no luck. They wanted $1100-1200 to do the work. I ended up doing a Toytec 1.5 inch add a leaf myself for about $80 and have been quite happy with it.

14. Feb 15, 2011 at 11:11 AM
    island808

island808 Me l've got brains.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jedediah
    hawaii
    Vehicle:
    '10 6speed 4x4 access cab
    Dude.. if you want to actually increase (read stabilize or something) the load capacity of your vehicle, just get airbags. With an onboard compressor it'll still be about 500 bucks. Or just buy a 13 dollar plug in compressor for the dash and be out about 250. Firestones are free shipping from amazon. Keep all your ride quality and bump up payload to "until all your shit breaks" levels.

You can't imagine how nice they are compared to add a leafs or heavy duty springs. Its like riding on air.

Products Discussed in

To Top