1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Advice on Suspension and locker

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by AU DIGG3R, Oct 21, 2010.

1. Oct 21, 2010 at 1:03 AM
    AU DIGG3R

AU DIGG3R [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Sport DC LB 4x4
    Hi, I have a few questions, with no tech experience, and super new to all this after market stuff. Basically Im looking to upgrade my suspension and install a front locker.

I have a 07 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Sport. Double Cab, long bed, 4L V6. (completely stock, except the air raid air filter, and toyo at tires lr E 265 70 r17) 75k mi

I am ready to upgrade my coilover and uca, and rear shock. Im not by any mean hardcore. I went hunting in Oct, and figured better suspension would be awesome, along with a locker up front. It’s a daily driver for me! Im a consumer like most of you, and Im looking for the best bang for my buck. My friend who enjoys building buggies said he would install everything. He recommended what’s below, but I know you people are into this stuff and would steer me straight.

He wants me to get the Camburg “Performance System” With Bilsteins 5100s on the rear He said $1900 labor included. The UCA he said will be ball joints.

Here -- http://www.camburg.com/?p=450

Is there another comparable deal? Im trying to spend my money very wisely, do it right the first time… I have read so much the past few days paragraphs are merging into one another lol. I have heard some not so good things with SAW coil over, which I think Camburg has relabled them as their 2.5 CRS coilover. Also do I need a sway bar? I read someone installed the Camburg and had to get a danahoe sway bar? Because camburg says not to run them?… his 31” tires still rubbed… he sent the suspension back and got danohoe.

How does the stock TRD hold up? Is it kind of beefy? What is the wink link? How much travel does come with from the factory, and what is the spring poundage?

I have been goggling King, Fox, Icon, and Camburg for front coilover. I don’t think im going to do an AAL in the rear. Maybe an little taller shackle? I want a caddy ride…

What about rear shocks, why 5100 and not 5150s? (theres not much price diff) l

I would like to know, what you people would do for configuration. Whats the best choices for my $1900 (or really close to) out right now? Thanks a million

The second part of my question is a locker. I called west coast diff and I wanted to know about other selectable lockers, IE tractech electric, Eaton E locker, Ox, ect…fully selectable. The guy told me for Toyota ARB is the only one made? I have heard good things about ARB and they have been around in the wheeling world for a good while. He gave me a price of $1600 parts and labor (being, I bring my truck in and they take everything off/on) I don’t know if that includes it working or if I still need a compressor ect…Is there a preferred compressor?

This is for my front axle, and the reason Im figuring on the front is; the 07 TRD Sport comes with a mechanically LSD in the rear. So why not put it in the open diff? I have heard if you’re only going to run one locker then put it in the rear. Hmm I wonder if I cold take my stock LSD from the rear and put it the front? I believe my gear ratio is 3.73?

Anyways I wondering what you guys think about that setup? And if anyone knows where to get the BEST deal please link me to them!

Oh is it better to do the diff then the suspension or visa versa or doesn’t matter.

Thanks
    James

2. Oct 21, 2010 at 2:24 AM
    numbah57

numbah57 GIVE THE MALL A BREAK...WHEEL THAT SHIT

Member:
    First Name:
    kahai
    Maui, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    09 tacoma 2.7 Beaten not Babied
    URD ARB G2 PELFREY BAMF LCE AFE
    I say cheap suspension lift OME all around and put the ARB in the back. You said your not "hard core" so the OME kit should be good, as for the sway bar, I would get rid if it, I took mine off a long time ago and it's staying off. Now the locker, since your not going "hard core" I don't think you need one but if you want one (which we all do) ARB would be MY top choice, selectable and you use the compressor for the goodies as well. The compressor? I'm pretty sure ARB has their own compressor. If it were my truck I'd do the suspension first then the diff.

3. Oct 21, 2010 at 5:51 AM
    themuffinman619

themuffinman619 Play stupid games, win stupid prizes

Member:
    First Name:
    themuffinman
    Vehicle:
    Your moms house
    Check out , they've got what you're looking for.

4. Oct 21, 2010 at 6:15 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Yeah...Front Locker and those suspension parts are pretty beef if you are "not hardcore" and "new to the aftermarket stuff"

Lockers take a bit of learning to use correctly and with the LSD in the back of your sport- You are pretty well set up for most mild to normal offroad situations. If you are getting into crazy stuff then you can talk about lockers and what not...but it doesn't sound like you need to worry about it yet...

You can put together a OME set up with TC UCAs and brand new rear spring packs for a little less than 1900. I would do the suspension first, the get tires to fill up the space you make with the lift. Then see what you feel you need from there.

Products Discussed in

To Top