Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

lettering on tailgate is going bad

Old 10-21-2010, 12:17 PM   #1
mjmsms69 is on a distinguished road
mjmsms69's Tacoma Gallery
lettering on tailgate is going bad

I was wondering if anyone else has had the fake chrome (plastic) lettering on the tailgate going bad? I live in PA., the rust belt, and I think it is caused by road salt. I keep the truck impeccably clean and waxed but the letters are starting to look really bad. Could anybody tell me what the replacement proceedure is?
Old 10-21-2010, 12:24 PM   #2
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Look up "blacked out badges Mod" or "debadge mod". You can get the badges from someone here (maybe) or ebay.
Old 10-21-2010, 12:26 PM   #4
jpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: NDT/QA
Name: Jimmy
jpmorrisvb's Tacoma Gallery
You can remove them a number of ways. The most popular choice is:

1 - let is sit in the warm sun or use a hair dryer.

2 - using fishing line or dental floss gently pull back and forth between the letters and the body.

3 - clean up with Goo Gone or 3M adhesive remover or a similar product.

4 - wash, buff with wax/polish

5 - purchase replacement name plate at a number of locations .... google, ebay, etc.

OR ..... remove them all together and not replace them.

The choice is up to you.
Old 10-21-2010, 12:30 PM   #5
Custom Tacoma bumpers & more for your offroad toy
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
RelentlessTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Yep, what they said! ^^^

And if you're interested in badges let me know. I have some laying around.
Old 10-21-2010, 12:33 PM   #6
Junior Mint
BeardedWeirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeardedWeirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeardedWeirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeardedWeirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeardedWeirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeardedWeirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeardedWeirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeardedWeirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeardedWeirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeardedWeirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeardedWeirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BeardedWeirdo's Tacoma Gallery
If you're interested...I completely debadged my V6 PreRunner SR5 when it had only about 1,000 miles on it. I've still got all the badges. They're stuck to the side of my fridge.
Old 10-21-2010, 12:41 PM   #7
Luc@z is on a distinguished road

Luc@z's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmorrisvb View Post
2 - using fishing line or dental floss gently pull back and forth between the letters and the body.
I'd recommend fishing line. I started off using dental floss and it would break before I got through a single letter. Of course I was using cheap Kroger floss, and the sun was already going down for the evening, so I'm sure that played into it too.