1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Alignments: to spec vs experience

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Priddle, Oct 21, 2010.

1. Oct 21, 2010 at 3:20 PM
    Priddle

Priddle [OP] And now for something completely different....

Member:
    St. John's, NL Canada
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Sport DCSB
    Current: Pelfreybilt front and rear bumpers, winch, icon front coils/shocks, Icon rear shocks, Dakar leafs, Camberg UCAs, Pumpkin Android stereo, custom sub box w/ 2x10" RF subs and Kicker amp, short shifter kit, Fuel Beast 18" wheels w/ 1mm offset, BFG AT2 285/65/18
    I brought my Tacoma to get an alignment done the day after I had my lift and tires added. He aligned it to Toyota specs. It now seems to veer to the right, occasionally to the left.

I went back and explained it to the guy at the garage and he said the alignment guy has 22 years experience at it and its highly unlikely he made a mistake. I said I don't doubt that...but given the mods I have done maybe Toyota's specs aren't appropriate. He didn't disagree but said all they could do was align to specs. My question is could someone who has 22 years of aligning experience say to himself (or herself!) that hey...factory specs won't work here...I may need to bump up the caster, or make some further adjustments.

The garage suggested swapping the front wheels to see if it's a tire problem. I had them do it and it still seems the same although I haven't gone far yet. He said if it veers to the left more so than the right...basically opposite of my problem, then its not an alignment issue.

2. Oct 21, 2010 at 3:40 PM
    bjmoose

bjmoose Bullwinkle J. Moose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    OME suspension, ARB Air Lockers, CBI/Relentless/Pelfrey armor, HAM radio
    Get the alignment printout and post it here.

3. Oct 21, 2010 at 3:47 PM
    Priddle

Member:
    St. John's, NL Canada
    Vehicle:
    Current: Pelfreybilt front and rear bumpers, winch, icon front coils/shocks, Icon rear shocks, Dakar leafs, Camberg UCAs, Pumpkin Android stereo, custom sub box w/ 2x10" RF subs and Kicker amp, short shifter kit, Fuel Beast 18" wheels w/ 1mm offset, BFG AT2 285/65/18
    I had made a post about my problem awhile back but here is the printout I posted in that thread
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2n...lling-right-since-tires-lift.html#post2264582

Just to add...given the alignment guy has 22 years experience, shouldn't he be able to tell me that factory specs won't be right given my mods? That is what bugs the hell out of me lol

4. Oct 21, 2010 at 3:53 PM
    colinb17

colinb17 If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '07 TRD Sport 4x4
    Build thread in sig...
    i'm gonna say it's your caster giving you problems. it should be about a degree higher than it is now

edit: just read the other thread, looks like people already told you it was the caster

5. Oct 21, 2010 at 3:53 PM
    bjmoose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    Oh, right. I remember that thread.

So, have you at least asked about that *way* out of spec SAI yet?

6. Oct 21, 2010 at 4:10 PM
    Priddle

Member:
    St. John's, NL Canada
    Vehicle:
    I brought it up but the guy behind the counter couldn't answer that and the guy who does alignments was out. I'll likely be going back over the next couple of days.

I guess what I am trying to figure out is do these guys know the difference when they align modded vehicles. Should this guy have known to increase the caster given the setup? how did someone figure that out in the first place?

7. Oct 21, 2010 at 4:14 PM
    SilverStreak05

SilverStreak05 Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2005 4x4 TRD Off-Road
    DR coilovers, DR rear reservoir shocks, Deaver custom 11 pack leaf springs
    Not really anything the alignment guy can do with the caster once you're lifted. The veering you get is likely due to the crown in the road. My truck is the same way. If everything else is in spec it won't affect the wear on your tires, but if it bothers you that much your only real "fix" is to get some new UCA's.

8. Oct 21, 2010 at 4:18 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Your Caster is at the Minimum, and the Camber is near the max. You should have over 2* Caster (at least), and 0* Camber. Your not going to be able to get it back to those numbers without aftermarket UCA's.

9. Oct 21, 2010 at 4:19 PM
    bakerla

bakerla Man, Myth, Legend

Member:
    First Name:
    Lyndall
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    '10 4wd OR
    CBI Moab front and CBI Trailrider rear, Budbuilt skids, Shrockworks sliders, OME Dakars w/ OME Nitros, OME 886x w/ OME Nitros, Light Racing UCAs, stainless steel brakelines F/R, Cobra 75 w/ Firestik antenna, 255/85/16 Cooper ST Maxx on 1st gen alloys, Weathertech liners, Engo 9000S winch, stickars and other shit.
    22 years of experience doing alignments on cars doesn't mean the guy knows what he's doing with lifted trucks.

10. Oct 21, 2010 at 4:20 PM
    colinb17

colinb17 If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '07 TRD Sport 4x4
    Build thread in sig...
    regardles of the lift, the caster numbers in your post are low. they would even be low for a stock tacoma. they are however within spec. but within spec does not mean good.

the issue is that caster affects camber. you can have great caster and shitty camber or great camber and terrible caster. most people would rather have better camber and worse caster because bad camber will wear your tires funny and fast, whereas when your caster is off, it just messes a little with the driving characteristics

11. Oct 21, 2010 at 4:27 PM
    bjmoose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    Here's the thing - he actually did a pretty bang up job of averaging everything out to get everything as close as possible to spec. So the answer to your stated question

Should this guy have known to increase the caster given the setup?

is yes. Yeah he did, and he gave you as much caster as he could given the limitation of your UCAs, even at the cost of increasing your camber a bit from optimal (around zero) but keeping it still in the range of allowed specification.

Contrast that with my alignment guy who optimized for tire wear by minimizing toe and camber, at the expense of giving me a near zero caster, making the truck a bit twitchier. (Which I'm OK with - informed decisions are the best ones.)

But even at near zero caster, my truck doesn't pull to one side or the other. It's a bit twitchy - that is - a tiny bump is more likely to send it to one side or the other, and it has less "return to center" after completing a turn, but it has no consistent pull to one side or the other.

If you're having a consistent pull, I'd look to your SAI or your tires.

Hijack: Worst pull I ever had was on a stock station wagon with some goodyear aqua tread tires. It was always noticable but particularly fatiguing on long trips. Drove all the way to LA with my knee pressed against the wheel so I wouldn't have to grip so hard with my hands. Turned out to be tires - once those tires wore out and we got some new ones, the pull went completely away.

Products Discussed in

To Top