Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Just bought my new truck; some questions...

Old 10-21-2010, 09:36 PM   #1
radioactivemint is on a distinguished road
Name: John
radioactivemint's Tacoma Gallery
Just bought my new truck; some questions...

Just bought a 2011 Reg. Cab 4x4. It's been my dream growing up (I'm only 26) to own a Tacoma, and so it's such an immense pleasure to finally reach that goal. I've always loved how they looked, especially the 2nd gen, and when I saw the truck on the lot I just knew I had to have it; it's everything I ever wanted. I have a couple questions for you all, however:

1. I know there was a leaf spring TSB issued for the previous years of this Tacoma generation. The back of my truck goes down considerably with just me (175) standing in the bed, so I'm a bit fearful to transport firewood or a washer and dryer in there. If the TSB for '11 isn't out yet, how many months am I looking at waiting for it to be issued? How long did it take for the other years? Six months, maybe?

2. Sometimes when I back out of a parking space in reverse, shift to drive (I have an auto) and then accelerate, I'll hear some kind of chirp noise seemingly coming from the backend. Just one short "chirp"...I don't know how else to describe this. What might this sound be, and could it present a problem or might it simply be the truck settling in?

Old 10-21-2010, 09:38 PM   #2
04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
04LTtacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome to TW. Another Oregonian. Where you located in Oregon?
Old 10-21-2010, 09:38 PM   #3
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Welcome. Regular cabs are not part of the TSB. Not sure what the chip could be.
Old 10-21-2010, 09:40 PM   #4
I'm in Bend...lots of washboard dirt roads here. Can't wait to finally see where they go! My '94 Honda I had didn't like washboard roads too much.
Old 10-21-2010, 09:41 PM   #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
Welcome. Regular cabs are not part of the TSB. Not sure what the chip could be.

Shame. Should I bother calling Toyota anyway? Or just plan on buying an add on leaf?
Old 10-22-2010, 05:29 AM   #6
Datnoid is on a distinguished road
Datnoid's Tacoma Gallery
I have the same truck in magnetic grey and have already hauled firewood in the back with no problems. In fact standing along side it I can't see any real difference from when the truck bed is empty.
Old 10-22-2010, 07:48 AM   #7
scottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scottri's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome to TW, I'm up in the Portland area.
Old 10-22-2010, 07:57 AM   #8
Human after all
2blu4u is just really nice2blu4u is just really nice2blu4u is just really nice2blu4u is just really nice

2blu4u's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by radioactivemint View Post
2. Sometimes when I back out of a parking space in reverse, shift to drive (I have an auto) and then accelerate, I'll hear some kind of chirp noise seemingly coming from the backend. Just one short "chirp"...I don't know how else to describe this. What might this sound be, and could it present a problem or might it simply be the truck settling in?
Congrats on the your new Tacoma! I have not seen a Barcelona Red Regular Cab, until now. What my thinking is; since the tacoma does not have as much weight in the back as in the front, you may be hearing the tires trying to grip the road and slipping a bit. Nothing to worry about if this is it.
Old 10-22-2010, 08:02 AM   #9
The Messiah
90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
90YotaPU's Tacoma Gallery
Congrats on the purchase and welcome to TacomaWorld. Like you, the Tacoma was my dream truck. I got one new in '99 when I turned 17 and now I got a '10 in July. You'll be hooked for life. I was sad as hell when they bought back my '99. Will never forget that truck. Love the new one though. It's basically the same as yours but a '10 and Timberland Mica. Really like the red.
Old 10-22-2010, 09:42 AM   #10
JKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JKD's Tacoma Gallery
That's a really nice looking truck.

On the rear springs issue...it's going to compress with weight in it. There may be some progressiveness to the rear suspension in the first couple of hundred pounds. Mine (stock, no TSB, access cab) compresses when I step into it, and I'm about 230#. But I loaded it down with car parts (unknown weight, but probably on the order of 350 to 400 pounds) and it didn't "sag", just compressed a reasonable amount. I had a big old refrigerator in the bed...no "sag", just reasonable compression of the springs. But then I haven't tried to weigh it down to the limits yet.

You could do what a lot of people do to test whether they need an add-a-leaf. Go to a building supply store and buy bags of the cheapest thing they have (sand, quickrete, etc.) and load it up to the stated payload capacity. Don't forget that you and any cargo in your truck count in that payload capacity! 1350 pounds - your weight - cargo = how much to load into the bed. Drive it around and see how it does. Go back and return the bags of stuff. Tip the yard guys well if they load/unload it for you.
Old 10-22-2010, 10:20 AM   #11
Junior Mint
BeardedWeirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeardedWeirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeardedWeirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeardedWeirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeardedWeirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeardedWeirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeardedWeirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeardedWeirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeardedWeirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeardedWeirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeardedWeirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BeardedWeirdo's Tacoma Gallery
Barcelona Red and the dark flares and bumpers looks really nice. Congrats on the truck!
Old 10-22-2010, 10:49 AM   #12
rbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant future

Name: Ron
rbeezy's Tacoma Gallery
nice truck. ive never heard a chirp noise in my truck, BUT i do hear a noise that sound like an air-ride activating in the back suspension when i back up
Old 10-22-2010, 11:02 AM   #13
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Sweet!

Now get yourself some 265/70R16 (same size as they put on the stock TRD Off-Road package) Duratracs or BFG All-Terrain TAs and you are ready to roll!
Old 10-22-2010, 04:05 PM   #14
Turdburglar is a glorious beacon of lightTurdburglar is a glorious beacon of lightTurdburglar is a glorious beacon of lightTurdburglar is a glorious beacon of lightTurdburglar is a glorious beacon of light
Turdburglar's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbeezy View Post
nice truck. ive never heard a chirp noise in my truck, BUT i do hear a noise that sound like an air-ride activating in the back suspension when i back up
Isn't that 'chirp' or 'air ride' actually the ABS doing a self-test? My '10 DC does it every time.
Old 10-22-2010, 05:51 PM   #15
blatant is on a distinguished road
blatant's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjmoose View Post
Sweet!

Now get yourself some 265/70R16 (same size as they put on the stock TRD Off-Road package) Duratracs or BFG All-Terrain TAs and you are ready to roll!

I have a reg cab as well.

You will want 265/75/16 not 70, they'll put you up a touch more. or 225's, which are narrower and imo a better move/cheaper. Also with the leafs, if you're just hauling shi t occasionally you can get some supersprings or helwigs. Helwigs are way cheaper and do a fantastic job, much better than the tsb springs would do. They do limit your art. off road a bit but you need to figure out the trade off. If you're wheeling the hell out of it then dakars etc are best.
Old 10-22-2010, 06:01 PM   #16
ccextra1976 is on a distinguished road
Air Force:
ccextra1976's Tacoma Gallery
my 11 makes a noise in the same scenario, my sound comes from the e-brake (inside cab) i think it's just making sure the e-brake is released.
Old 10-22-2010, 11:32 PM   #17
Thank you all very much for the kind answers and comments! If it's just a self-test, I guess I'd have nothing to worry about. I bought an extended warranty anyway, so if anything comes of it at least I should be covered for a while. The "chirp" sounds like a very fast wind-up and wind-down. Almost like some kind of electric motor or even rubbing course fabric together. It's difficult to explain and it doesn't happen all the time.
Old 10-22-2010, 11:43 PM   #18
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKD View Post
That's a really nice looking truck.

On the rear springs issue...it's going to compress with weight in it. There may be some progressiveness to the rear suspension in the first couple of hundred pounds. Mine (stock, no TSB, access cab) compresses when I step into it, and I'm about 230#. But I loaded it down with car parts (unknown weight, but probably on the order of 350 to 400 pounds) and it didn't "sag", just compressed a reasonable amount. I had a big old refrigerator in the bed...no "sag", just reasonable compression of the springs. But then I haven't tried to weigh it down to the limits yet.

You could do what a lot of people do to test whether they need an add-a-leaf. Go to a building supply store and buy bags of the cheapest thing they have (sand, quickrete, etc.) and load it up to the stated payload capacity. Don't forget that you and any cargo in your truck count in that payload capacity! 1350 pounds - your weight - cargo = how much to load into the bed. Drive it around and see how it does. Go back and return the bags of stuff. Tip the yard guys well if they load/unload it for you.

If it can haul a large fridge or both washer and dryer or a decent load of firewood in the bed without bottoming out, that's about all the capacity I would need. Anything more and I'd probably just put it on a trailer and tow it. The test you suggest sounds like a good one and I just may do that. Maybe I'll get the dog a three year supply of dog food
Old 10-23-2010, 05:37 AM   #19
The Messiah
90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
90YotaPU's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by blatant View Post
I have a reg cab as well.

You will want 265/75/16 not 70, they'll put you up a touch more. or 225's, which are narrower and imo a better move/cheaper. Also with the leafs, if you're just hauling shi t occasionally you can get some supersprings or helwigs. Helwigs are way cheaper and do a fantastic job, much better than the tsb springs would do. They do limit your art. off road a bit but you need to figure out the trade off. If you're wheeling the hell out of it then dakars etc are best.
Sorry, not trying to hijack the thread, but you reference 225's. What's the aspect ratio you're referring to (ie. 225 ? R16)? I want to upgrade to something taller but thinking if I can go narrower and save some weight (and some gas mileage) I may do that. Thanks.
Old 10-23-2010, 09:59 PM   #20
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by radioactivemint View Post
If it can haul a large fridge or both washer and dryer or a decent load of firewood in the bed without bottoming out, that's about all the capacity I would need. Anything more and I'd probably just put it on a trailer and tow it. The test you suggest sounds like a good one and I just may do that. Maybe I'll get the dog a three year supply of dog food
My work truck is an 09 2wd base model, it has 1000 lbs in the back all day everyday. Truck has 37K on it now. It sits about one inch off the bump stops with the factory springs in it. Yeah, it does bottom out sometimes, but no damage to the truck so far. I could see wanting an add a leaf just to make things more comfy when hauling, but definitely not needed.