LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Rear wheels lock up when i make sharp turns in H4

Old 10-23-2010, 05:10 AM   #21
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
The condition you describe will even happen on occasion in snowy slippery conditions we have in the Northeast.
Try to turn sharp (don't!) in a parking space during a snowstorm & will get same effect (binding). I have forgotten on occasion

I have experienced this in all the toyota trucks I have owned since 87 even a couple of 1GEN tundras.

Many people have said it here just saying it can even happen in snow.
Old 10-23-2010, 08:28 AM   #22
Fortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Fortech's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Sells View Post
What's the difference between AWD and 4 wheel drive not being smart i just don't know
This link should help: http://consumerguideauto.howstuffwor...vs-awd-cga.htm

Quote:
I allways assumed it was the same
Nope, above link should describe the differences

Quote:
it seems like you shpuld be able to drive in 4hi if you want too why would they make it so it would screw things up in any conditions.
Its up to the driver to be educated enough to use the system correctly. Such instances are described in the owners manual.
Old 10-23-2010, 09:28 AM   #23
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
What's the difference between AWD and 4 wheel drive not being smart i just don't know I allways assumed it was the same it seems like you shpuld be able to drive in 4hi if you want too why would they make it so it would screw things up in any conditions.
An AWD (All Wheel Drive) vehicle is going to have a viscious coupling (differential) in the center, allowing the drive train to not bind, while a 4 wheel drive vehicle doesnt have this, and the front and rear drives are locked together, getting equal power from the engine.
Old 10-23-2010, 06:53 PM   #24
Thucker is on a distinguished road
Thucker's Tacoma Gallery
I still don't get why anybody would use 4WD in the rain. If you think you need to use 4WD to drive your truck in the rain. How do you think all the RWD cars and such drive around in the rain?
Old 10-23-2010, 06:59 PM   #25
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thucker View Post
I still don't get why anybody would use 4WD in the rain. If you think you need to use 4WD to drive your truck in the rain. How do you think all the RWD cars and such drive around in the rain?
Most people think 4wd in the rain will keep them from losing control when they are speeding in bad weather.
Old 10-23-2010, 07:40 PM   #26
The dog did it...I swear!
OffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Location: High Desert... land of junipers, sage brush, and lava rock
OffroadToy's Tacoma Gallery
It's hard to believe the service tech and manager didn't have a clue.
I don't even make sharp turns while in 4WD offroading. I plan turns ahead of time and make a wider turn than normal. If it's a tight spot I either back up and go forward a few times gradually or get back into 2WD to keep from binding up.
Old 10-24-2010, 04:12 AM   #27
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thucker View Post
Like I've personally mentioned in other threads....

I will use it in a downpour on the highway - specifically to keep the 4WD system functional and working. As it recommends in the owners manual to use it every so often (can't remember exact numbers - maybe once a month?)

I have other theories why...but I won't mention them because people ALWAYS think I'm retarded. And I might be retarded, but this is my world and those people aren't living in it. All I can say is, you're better safe than sorry.
Old 01-28-2011, 06:04 PM   #28
NJPiney is on a distinguished road
NJPiney's Tacoma Gallery
First time poster.

New Taco owner and also new to 4WD.

Thanks everyone for saving me a trip to the dealer!
Old 01-28-2011, 06:19 PM   #32
JLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
JLink's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by A51TACO View Post
It doesnt matter if it is dry or wet. I usually only have it on during wet pavement but it it still locks up and skids on the pavement.
Yea.. as everyone has pointed out, NEVER use 4H or 4L on dry pavement. it is designed to be used ONLY on surfaces where you need it to maintain traction.

i lived in colorado for a while, a ways west of co springs, a place where the roads are covered in snow for more than half the year, and I really only used 4x4 when I was in fresh snow or when I got stuck. Not saying there werent times that I probably SHOULD have used it and didnt, but definitely dont over use it. its not like an all wheel drive car thats meant to be driven on all road surfaces like that.
Dont want to sound like a dick.. i hope i didnt.. just dont want you to mess up your truck.

PS. Enjoy CO. I cant wait to move back, this time to denver.
Old 01-28-2011, 06:21 PM   #33
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
It doesn't help that the salesman don't know what the hell they are selling. If it was my dealer I would have randomly test my sales people about the vehicle's features and functions.
Old 01-28-2011, 06:32 PM   #35
jackrules is a splendid one to beholdjackrules is a splendid one to beholdjackrules is a splendid one to beholdjackrules is a splendid one to beholdjackrules is a splendid one to beholdjackrules is a splendid one to beholdjackrules is a splendid one to beholdjackrules is a splendid one to behold
Name: Jack
jackrules's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJPiney View Post
First time poster.

New Taco owner and also new to 4WD.

Thanks everyone for saving me a trip to the dealer!
check out some of the threads on here that explain the traction control, lockers, and 4wd. Everyone should know how to drive their car

When i got mine, i didnt understand the diff between 4wd and all wheel drive...
Old 01-28-2011, 08:07 PM   #36
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Guys! It's an old thread that got bumped by a new guy who SEARCHED and found it useful. Stop replying to the OP.
Old 01-28-2011, 08:09 PM   #37
Questions... Morphology? Longevity? Incept dates?
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjmoose View Post
Guys! It's an old thread that got bumped by a new guy who SEARCHED and found it useful. Stop replying to the OP.
OP , Bullwinkle no like you
Old 11-16-2011, 05:37 PM   #38
davegsc is on a distinguished road
Name: Dave
davegsc's Tacoma Gallery
This thread has been useful, but could you guys clarify something for me? I noticed the same thing (rear wheels dragging when making a tight turn in H4. It's always the rear tire on the inside of the turn. Doesn't happen in H2), and I drive accordingly.

However, I left it in H4 the other night, and when I started out of the driveway the next morning (gravel driveway, driving out forwards), the right rear wheel dragged until I noticed and put it back into H2.

Note that I did a backing turn into the driveway last night, off of a dry, paved street.

The service manager at Victoria Toyota said it's perfectly normal (of course :-), and offered to let me test it on a 2012 (an attempt at up-selling? ;-)

I understand the dry pavement/tight turn thing, but residual dragging the next day? Is this the same thing?
Thanks

Dave
Salt Spring Island
Old 11-07-2012, 03:28 PM   #39
rokedawg is on a distinguished road
Army: medic
rokedawg's Tacoma Gallery
So i was trying to make a right turn onto my street in h4. It's snowing quite bit so deffinitely is not "sticky pavement" as many previous posters seemed to reiterate. And my tires locked. Same thing happened as i tried to turn onto my driveway (covered in snow once again). So you all are saying this is normal? Or did i miss something in this thread?
This is the first time i used the H4 so it kind of freaked me out...
Old 11-07-2012, 03:41 PM   #40
me gusta pechos firmes
jivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jack MeHoff
jivewalker's Tacoma Gallery
Damn, I just read this whole thread before I realized it was from 2010 .