Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Rear wheels lock up when i make sharp turns in H4

Old 11-08-2012, 04:30 PM   #61
me gusta pechos firmes
jivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jack MeHoff
jivewalker's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rokedawg View Post
Basically, if I don't feel the wheels locking (that dragging, vibrating, locking feel) then I am still OK right?
I think you might be feeling the TRAC working the brakes. Read this thread, it will confuse you even more , but if you can wrap your head around it, might just be that what you are feeling is normal traction control, etc.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tec...nd-i-hope.html
Old 11-08-2012, 06:02 PM   #62
maineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: Tim
maineah's Tacoma Gallery
You all have mighty low confidence in Toyota if you think driving in bad weather in 4WD is going to trash your drive line. If I even think there might be black ice it's in 4WD my 97 only lasted 285K miles before I sold it. But I did have to replace the rear ujoint at 206K. Climbing over uneven rocks losing and gaining traction is far harder on the drive line then driving in 4WD on the pavement. If you don't use it, it won't work when you need it why do you think Toyota says to drive it in 4WD at least 10 miles a month and before you jump on that there is nothing any where in the manual that says not on dry pavement it just says 10 miles or more a month. Yes it will bind on a tight turn but what you feel are the tires slipping take it out of 4WD and park it.
Old 11-08-2012, 06:15 PM   #63
rokedawg is on a distinguished road
Army: medic
rokedawg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jivewalker View Post
I think you might be feeling the TRAC working the brakes. Read this thread, it will confuse you even more , but if you can wrap your head around it, might just be that what you are feeling is normal traction control, etc.

I've attempted this thread a few times before and the manual as well. Honestly, if i can understand all of this well, I think I deserve a PhD. But i'll keep trying.
Old 11-08-2012, 06:40 PM   #64
The dog did it...I swear!
OffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Location: High Desert... land of junipers, sage brush, and lava rock
OffroadToy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jivewalker View Post

Could be trac... but i think that happens more from loss of traction. The op mentioned it's happening in tight turns in 4WD on non-slip surfaces... sounds more like a binding issue.
OP... I've even experienced binding on dry snow while attempting to park in tight spots. Sometimes it's best to just get back in 2WD if tight turns are required. Even while offroading on loose dirt/gravel i never make real tight turns with 4WD engaged.
Old 11-08-2012, 06:59 PM   #65
bullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bullaculla's Tacoma Gallery
Right. People keep saying "locking up" but it think its just binding and then the wheel slips when the stress in the driveline overcomes the wheels traction. Doesn't the TRAC light blink when it activates?
Old 11-08-2012, 07:06 PM   #66
if you have to ask, u can't afford it
tacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ray
tacobo670's Tacoma Gallery

...interesting.
Old 11-08-2012, 07:33 PM   #67
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullaculla View Post
Right. People keep saying "locking up" but it think its just binding and then the wheel slips when the stress in the driveline overcomes the wheels traction. Doesn't the TRAC light blink when it activates?
Good question. The light didn't come on. When I didn't know what was going on, i just stepped on the gas more to force the vehicle to move. I did not see any lights come on as the vehicle started to move.
Old 11-08-2012, 07:34 PM   #68
Quote:
Originally Posted by OffroadToy View Post
Could be trac... but i think that happens more from loss of traction. The op mentioned it's happening in tight turns in 4WD on non-slip surfaces... sounds more like a binding issue.
OP... I've even experienced binding on dry snow while attempting to park in tight spots. Sometimes it's best to just get back in 2WD if tight turns are required. Even while offroading on loose dirt/gravel i never make real tight turns with 4WD engaged.
Yep, that's the conclusion I am at right now.
Old 02-10-2013, 05:41 AM   #69
Quote:
oh, boy...the 4x4abc links makes me never want to use 4x4 ever again and turned my stomach reflecting back on the the drive home i had this evening in H4. It even made me wonder if it could mess up the system so easily, why would anyone want to use 4x4? When I am driving in the winter when I won't see black ice until i hit it, it is already too late to switch to 4x4. So it seems almost useless.
But clicking thru links on howstuffworks somehow ended me up on sites with celeb boobs so I feel better now. thanks!
Wow, the latest Nor'easter has opened up my eyes! This thing is a beast! I got 20+ inches of snow. it is day 2 and the plow has yet to come to my block (i live in the 'burbs so this is unheard of). But we just had a baby right before the storm kicked in so i had to make it back to the hospital to see my wife and baby. I basically drove my way (going fwd/reverse hundreds of times) thru that snow until I got on to a plowed road. I beat the bejeesus out of my truck but I had to go see my wife and baby. My neighbor's truck got stuck 3 times while i got stuck just once (and just literally inches from the plowed road too) and he was trying far less than I was. and i noticed that even without the 4H, this thing has great traction on snow. Of course i am not that idiot that drives like i am on dry pavement just because I've got a truck. I still stayed in 2nd and less than 20mph most of the time but man, this truck IS AMAZING! maybe i'll move up to Alaska or something...
Old 02-10-2013, 05:43 AM   #70
and BTW, my truck is bone-stock too. The only aftermarket is the Mobil 1 engine oil and diff fluids. even the oil filter, air filter, all the accessories I bought from Toyota. I can't imagine what this thing can do once i start putting on mods...
Old 02-10-2013, 12:25 PM   #71
bullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bullaculla's Tacoma Gallery
Cool. The stock 4x4 tacoma is a very capable truck. Modded is even better.
I wish I lived someplace where I could actually put my 4x4 to good use.
Old 03-03-2013, 07:20 AM   #72
sierra015 is on a distinguished road
Name: Filip
sierra015's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MT Madman View Post
He's driving a Sport so I doubt he has LRD and even if he did it won't lock up in 4H without the mod.
I run mine in 4H once a month for a couple miles to lube things up and once I forgot and oh-yeah you could feel it from the front end but not the back. My question would be have you changed the differential fluid without adding the limited slip additive because if you didn't you'd probably get some wheel hop at the least.
i thought h4 was like AWD but its not that explains the shaking from the front wheel when i turn
thnx
Old 03-03-2013, 09:22 AM   #73
sde780 has a brilliant futuresde780 has a brilliant futuresde780 has a brilliant futuresde780 has a brilliant futuresde780 has a brilliant futuresde780 has a brilliant futuresde780 has a brilliant futuresde780 has a brilliant futuresde780 has a brilliant futuresde780 has a brilliant futuresde780 has a brilliant future
sde780's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Wow, the latest Nor'easter has opened up my eyes! This thing is a beast! I got 20+ inches of snow. it is day 2 and the plow has yet to come to my block (i live in the 'burbs so this is unheard of). But we just had a baby right before the storm kicked in so i had to make it back to the hospital to see my wife and baby. I basically drove my way (going fwd/reverse hundreds of times) thru that snow until I got on to a plowed road. I beat the bejeesus out of my truck but I had to go see my wife and baby. My neighbor's truck got stuck 3 times while i got stuck just once (and just literally inches from the plowed road too) and he was trying far less than I was. and i noticed that even without the 4H, this thing has great traction on snow. Of course i am not that idiot that drives like i am on dry pavement just because I've got a truck. I still stayed in 2nd and less than 20mph most of the time but man, this truck IS AMAZING! maybe i'll move up to Alaska or something...
If the roads are covered you can just leave it in 4wd...congrats on your second child!