Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Rear wheels lock up when i make sharp turns in H4

Old 10-21-2010, 09:56 PM   #1
A51TACO is on a distinguished road

Name: Preston
A51TACO's Tacoma Gallery
Rear wheels lock up when i make sharp turns in H4

I went to the toyota dealership to have them fix my balancing issue that has turned into more than a balancing issue and now the "Big Guy" from toyota has to come down and take a look at it because the technicians can't figure it out, but anyways i remembered that i was having issues with the back tires locking up and skidding when i have the truck in H4, so i had the technician get in the truck and i showed him the problem, of course he had no idea what was causing the problem, (whats new?) so he went in and talked to his service manager. The manager comes out and says, that it is just a common thing that happens and it isnt an issue unless it happens when im going straight. (Ya no shit, thank you dumbass) The only problem i have with his excuse is that it is destroying my back tires (which the tech verified when he told my that my rear tires looked more worn than my front and he wasnt sure why) and considering i live in CO and i have my truck in H4 90% of the winter i need this fixed, any ideas or similar problems that any of you have experienced.
I pre-searched and wasnt able to find any similar threads, please point me in the right direction if you know of any.

Thanks ahead of time.
Old 10-21-2010, 09:59 PM   #2
JanBoothius is a splendid one to beholdJanBoothius is a splendid one to beholdJanBoothius is a splendid one to beholdJanBoothius is a splendid one to beholdJanBoothius is a splendid one to beholdJanBoothius is a splendid one to beholdJanBoothius is a splendid one to behold

Name: Jan (Pronounced Yan)
JanBoothius's Tacoma Gallery
I can't provide an answer of any sort... but a comment instead: this seems dangerous as well as destructive to your tread, a locked up rear end results in sliding... not good unless you are trying to drift.

Perhaps tell this to the Stealership/Toyota; your life may be in danger.
Old 10-21-2010, 09:59 PM   #3
Mall Crawler
MrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Dean'o
Location: Wisconsin, Hawaii, California, North Carolina...everywhere
MrGrimm's Tacoma Gallery
You have the 4WD on when on dry pavement? If so, dont, use it on a slippery surface or a surface where the wheels are not getting full traction. If you have traction in 2WD, no need to have it 4WD.

A ring on one of the gears might be messed up. Good excuse to throw a new gear ratio in
Old 10-21-2010, 10:03 PM   #4
rab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ross
rab89's Tacoma Gallery
if you still have warranty I don't think that's an acceptable answer from them...
it's a safety concern man!
Old 10-21-2010, 10:05 PM   #5

A51TACO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGrimm View Post
You have the 4WD on when on dry pavement? If so, dont, use it on a slippery surface or a surface where the wheels are not getting full traction. If you have traction in 2WD, no need to have it 4WD.

A ring on one of the gears might be messed up. Good excuse to throw a new gear ratio in
It doesnt matter if it is dry or wet. I usually only have it on during wet pavement but it it still locks up and skids on the pavement.
Old 10-21-2010, 10:06 PM   #6

A51TACO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rab89 View Post
if you still have warranty I don't think that's an acceptable answer from them...
Ya it is is still under warranty but they say that it is a "ghost issue" and there isnt anything they can do about it, thats why i need to find someone with the same issue.
Old 10-21-2010, 10:12 PM   #8
6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nate
6spdtaco's Tacoma Gallery
sounds totally normal to me. I have heard from many 2nd gen owners, and experienced it myself. Sharp turns, like into the drive way in 4 hi makes the back tires chirp, skid. Tight turns are harder to do.
Old 10-21-2010, 10:12 PM   #9
m3zy6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3zy6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3zy6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3zy6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3zy6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3zy6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3zy6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3zy6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3zy6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3zy6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3zy6 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
m3zy6's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by A51TACO View Post
It doesnt matter if it is dry or wet. I usually only have it on during wet pavement but it it still locks up and skids on the pavement.
That's what he is saying.
You shouldn't need to use it in those conditions. And if the conditions aren't bad enough to need it, then they aren't bad enough to allow slip in your driveline and you are just adding unnecessary stress to expensive parts.
Old 10-22-2010, 04:01 AM   #10
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Quote:
Yeah It matters- 4WD is made for lower traction/slippery surfaces. If you use it on stickier surfaces (like dry pavement) it's going to lock up/bind the drive line.

The safety concern is your understanding and use of 4WD...not your truck. Slow down, use more gradual turns, and only use 4x4 when you really need it- not 90% of the winter just because.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rab89 View Post
Warranties aren't carte blanche for the dealer to work endlessly on a truck. This sounds entirely like a driver issue...Not a problem with the truck. Using 4x4 on dry pavement is just a bad idea.
Old 10-22-2010, 04:22 AM   #11
BIG DADDY
brutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

brutalguyracing's Tacoma Gallery
x1000^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Old 10-22-2010, 04:27 AM   #12
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
You have a mechanical LSD.

Are you saying...the REAR locks up? Does it lock up in both 2WD and 4WD? Or just 4WD.

Because, if it has anything to do with the LSD - it will do the same thing in both 2WD and 4WD.

If this only happens in 4WD - then it's because you're driving in 4WD on dry/high traction surfaces & making sharp turns. AVOID driving in 4WD in dry conditions and high traffic surfaces.

IF YOU NEED TO DRIVE IN 4WD ON DRY OR HIGH TRAFFIC SURFACES - DO NOT MAKE SHARP TURNS!!!!! This causes extreme pressure on the CV joints & the driveline.

Have you noticed the trucks starts bucking or won't move at all? That's your first clue that things are binding up. DO NOT FORCE IT.
Old 10-22-2010, 05:34 PM   #13
rab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ross
rab89's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunes View Post
Yeah It matters- 4WD is made for lower traction/slippery surfaces. If you use it on stickier surfaces (like dry pavement) it's going to lock up/bind the drive line.

The safety concern is your understanding and use of 4WD...not your truck. Slow down, use more gradual turns, and only use 4x4 when you really need it- not 90% of the winter just because.

Warranties aren't carte blanche for the dealer to work endlessly on a truck. This sounds entirely like a driver issue...Not a problem with the truck. Using 4x4 on dry pavement is just a bad idea.

true, of course if your using it on dry pavement it's gona have trouble, and yes prob chirp the tires. I didn't think people used 4x4 on dry pavement :P
Old 10-22-2010, 05:46 PM   #14
Victory is reserved...
THExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: GOO5E
THExBUSxDRIVER's Tacoma Gallery
are you using it on dry surface?

Keep it up and something expensive is going to give
Old 10-22-2010, 10:52 PM   #15
OmegaMan is on a distinguished road

Army: '90-pres,Aco 2/156th Infantry, LRS Team leader G co 143rd LRSC (ABN), Secret squirrel 2004-present
OmegaMan's Tacoma Gallery
I would read the owners manual.
Old 10-23-2010, 03:50 AM   #16
Fortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Fortech's Tacoma Gallery
Even wet pavement doesn't provide enough slip for 4x4 in sharp turns. It sounds like what you describe is normal, and you're using 4x4 where you obviously don't need it.
Old 10-23-2010, 04:11 AM   #17
Senior Citizen
MT Madman has a brilliant futureMT Madman has a brilliant futureMT Madman has a brilliant futureMT Madman has a brilliant futureMT Madman has a brilliant futureMT Madman has a brilliant futureMT Madman has a brilliant futureMT Madman has a brilliant futureMT Madman has a brilliant futureMT Madman has a brilliant futureMT Madman has a brilliant future

Air Force: Telecomm Tech
MT Madman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
having issues with the back tires locking up and skidding when i have the truck in H4
He's driving a Sport so I doubt he has LRD and even if he did it won't lock up in 4H without the mod.
I run mine in 4H once a month for a couple miles to lube things up and once I forgot and oh-yeah you could feel it from the front end but not the back. My question would be have you changed the differential fluid without adding the limited slip additive because if you didn't you'd probably get some wheel hop at the least.
Old 10-23-2010, 04:40 AM   #18
buddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: 2nd Bomb Wing
buddywh1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunes View Post
....The safety concern is your understanding and use of 4WD...not your truck. Slow down, use more gradual turns, and only use 4x4 when you really need it- not 90% of the winter just because...

^^^What he said^^^

It's a part-time 4x4 and lacks front/rear differential so it will bind in sharp turns when there's good traction. It is NOT a full-time AWD like momma's CRV.

What's amazing is the dealer didn't educate him on the differences...either when he bought it or when he complained to service or both times. I bought mine used at a used-car mega store and THEY took the time to educate me even though I told them I knew the difference at the outset.
Old 10-23-2010, 04:44 AM   #19
StandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Prior service. KC135 Crew Chief
Name: John
StandingCow's Tacoma Gallery
It's been said a few times, so I am just repeating, but stop using 4x4 on pavement! All you are doing is stressing things out that are eventually going to break.
Old 10-23-2010, 04:57 AM   #20
Nick Sells is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick Sells is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick Sells is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick Sells is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick Sells is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick Sells is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick Sells is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick Sells is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick Sells is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick Sells is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick Sells is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
Nick Sells's Tacoma Gallery
What's the difference between AWD and 4 wheel drive not being smart i just don't know I allways assumed it was the same it seems like you shpuld be able to drive in 4hi if you want too why would they make it so it would screw things up in any conditions.