Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

ABS problem?

Old 10-22-2010, 12:12 PM   #1
jdub is on a distinguished road
jdub's Tacoma Gallery
ABS problem?

It's been several times where my ABS has gone off whenever i hit bumps while stopping. I disregarded it because it never really posed any harm in the past. But a few days ago when it was raining...i was stopping at a traffic light and all of a sudden the ABS starts going off while i'm stopping behind a car. It was kind of scary because i thought i wasn't going to stop in time. Has anyone had this problem with their 08+ Tacoma? Is there something i need to fix? I really want to address this problem before it could cause me or anyone driving around me any harm.

Thanks!
J
Old 10-22-2010, 12:14 PM   #2
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Sounds normal. The ABS can be a bit touchy. Do you have a lift or anything?
Old 10-22-2010, 12:25 PM   #3
BlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BlueT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdub View Post
It's been several times where my ABS has gone off whenever i hit bumps while stopping. I disregarded it because it never really posed any harm in the past. But a few days ago when it was raining...i was stopping at a traffic light and all of a sudden the ABS starts going off while i'm stopping behind a car. It was kind of scary because i thought i wasn't going to stop in time. Has anyone had this problem with their 08+ Tacoma? Is there something i need to fix? I really want to address this problem before it could cause me or anyone driving around me any harm.

Thanks!
J
Check tire pressure especially right front / left front.
Old 10-22-2010, 12:27 PM   #4
BIG DADDY
brutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

brutalguyracing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
Sounds normal. The ABS can be a bit touchy. Do you have a lift or anything?
x2^^^^^^
it could of been your tire spining
you will like the abs when your sliding down a 3 mile mountain road in 3 feet of snow but yet you can still steer...
Old 10-22-2010, 12:55 PM   #5
jdub's Tacoma Gallery
sounds great guys! that was a lot of help. i don't have a lift but intend on getting one. i also ordered some XD revolver wheels. so i'm pretty excited about that. just curious, so what i'm experiencing withe ABS is completely normal?
Old 10-22-2010, 01:00 PM   #6
BlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BlueT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
sounds great guys! that was a lot of help. i don't have a lift but intend on getting one. i also ordered some XD revolver wheels. so i'm pretty excited about that. just curious, so what i'm experiencing withe ABS is completely normal?
Sort of. Yes
IMHO
ABS can become more sensitive (triggers early, with out apparent reason, runs longer) when :
a. You install lift
b. Tire pressures goes uneven

a. is due to deceleration sensor becoming out of alignment

b. Wheel sensors are much more sensitive in 2gen due to traction control requirement. So even the small change in tire pressure will trigger much bigger response from ABS. Keeping all 4 tires in spec for pressure should keep ABS working better.
Old 10-22-2010, 01:00 PM   #7
I like to break shit!
fireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Kevin
fireturk41's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to fireturk41
abs keeps your normal stopping habits, doesnt make you stop faster or slower than the laws of physics permit, but it allows you to maintain steering control while braking rather than if you were in a skid....may be annoying but better safe than sorry
Old 10-22-2010, 01:07 PM   #8
jdub's Tacoma Gallery
i think the uneven tire pressures may explain it. i just discovered a few days ago after the ABS randomly going off that i had a nail in my right front tire.

thanks!
J
Old 10-22-2010, 01:21 PM   #9

BlueT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
i think the uneven tire pressures may explain it. i just discovered a few days ago after the ABS randomly going off that i had a nail in my right front tire.

thanks!
J
There you go, make sure tire pressure is even between left and right and you should be fine.