Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

DIY Carbon fiber 3m vinyl wrap "Interior"

Old 10-23-2010, 03:18 PM   #1
2gtacoma has a brilliant future2gtacoma has a brilliant future2gtacoma has a brilliant future2gtacoma has a brilliant future2gtacoma has a brilliant future2gtacoma has a brilliant future2gtacoma has a brilliant future2gtacoma has a brilliant future2gtacoma has a brilliant future2gtacoma has a brilliant future2gtacoma has a brilliant future
Name: Daniel
2gtacoma's Tacoma Gallery
DIY Carbon fiber 3m vinyl wrap "Interior"

I am simply making a write up of MY install I just did it today my inspiration came from seeing SpaceMonkey install on his truck it was very nice. So here it goes.

First I removed the window roll down button panels for the drivers side and passengers and i removed my cup holder (6 speed) only.

Parts needed: 3m media carbon fiber vinyl di-noc. I bought 12inX36in on ebay for $22 shipped
Tools needed:
A good razor x-acto blade, flat head screw driver,Heat gun, PATIENCE is a must.

step 2

After taking the electronics out of panels, I washed the covers with soap and water and dried them off. I sprayed the panels with SEM XXX adhesion promoter to help bond. I don't think its required just makes it more permanent.

Next, I cut out a piece of the vinyl to fit the panel and layed it on top. I started working it from the inside to the out side. The HEAT GUN makes this easier to conform the vinyl. It likes the heat just not too much it will re activate and stretch until you get it how you want it SO TIME IS NOT IMPORTANT just be patient and work it till you are happy with the layout.

Back View: its ugly but it works!!!

Re assemble the switch and the first one is ready!!

Passengers side is easier Again take your time and just make sure you have nice tight edges and no kinks.

This one i had to piece in a small patch just make sure you have the weave going the same direction and it will be un-noticeable.

Best way to cut holes i found is in an X for the switch holes.

Ta-DAAA Your done with the Two sides.

Last for me Today Cup holder.

Cup holder is the Trickiest the Two big cup holder holes in the middle make it tough just be patient and take you time and use the heat gun to your advantage.

Do the out side edges first! cup holder holes cut them last!!!!!!

once you lay the vinyl and get the edges done. Cut the cup holder holes out, I call it the "PIZZA METHOD" use heat here to get the stretch you need to conform to the roundness of the holes.

Big cup hole same as first just be patient and cut the holes like a "PIZZA"

Lastly, A good sharp blade cut the circles while you press in the outline of the cup holder. Just Nice and steady.

ALL done now install:

Drivers side:

Passengers side:

Cup holder:

overhead Console (updated 10/31/2010)
For the over head console i purchased 3m 94 primer it helps this vinyl STICK and i mean stick. Once you apply this with a q tip or a small bursh for the areas that have bends and/or you think might be the trouble places that might come loose. Once you apply it its not coming back off so be sure when you apply it that thats how you want the vinyl to be laid down.

I put the sunglass door back on and decided to proceed with it in.

close up of my edges

first door cut out: Patience with the exacto knife to cut it straight.

all done time to install.

Old 10-23-2010, 03:28 PM   #2
surfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gregg
surfsupl's Tacoma Gallery
That turned out really nice...............good work!
Old 10-23-2010, 03:29 PM   #3
There's an evil monkey in my truck
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Name: Robert
Evil Monkey's Tacoma Gallery
Nice! I'm not big on carbon fiber but that looks pretty good.
Old 10-23-2010, 03:29 PM   #4
Palmetto Pete has a brilliant futurePalmetto Pete has a brilliant futurePalmetto Pete has a brilliant futurePalmetto Pete has a brilliant futurePalmetto Pete has a brilliant futurePalmetto Pete has a brilliant futurePalmetto Pete has a brilliant futurePalmetto Pete has a brilliant futurePalmetto Pete has a brilliant futurePalmetto Pete has a brilliant futurePalmetto Pete has a brilliant future

Army: U.S. Army
Name: Pete
Palmetto Pete's Tacoma Gallery
Nice work! It looks real good!
Old 10-23-2010, 03:42 PM   #6
2gtacoma has a brilliant future2gtacoma has a brilliant future2gtacoma has a brilliant future2gtacoma has a brilliant future2gtacoma has a brilliant future2gtacoma has a brilliant future2gtacoma has a brilliant future2gtacoma has a brilliant future2gtacoma has a brilliant future2gtacoma has a brilliant future2gtacoma has a brilliant future
Thanks guys.

The 3 parts took about 2 1/2 hours to complete.

It does look way better than the cf layover "kits"
Old 10-23-2010, 03:42 PM   #7
SpaceMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpaceMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpaceMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpaceMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpaceMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpaceMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpaceMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpaceMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpaceMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpaceMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpaceMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed
SpaceMonkey's Tacoma Gallery
Very nice work man! The overhead is the toughest. Use that adhesive around the compass area.
Old 10-23-2010, 04:28 PM   #8
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Usually not a fan of carbon fiber but that came out really good! Nice work, your patience really shows!
Old 10-23-2010, 04:37 PM   #9
Machine gun shits
paintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: shithead
paintdiddy's Tacoma Gallery
awesome. where did you get the cf from????
Old 10-23-2010, 05:47 PM   #10
importcarpartsplus was the name of the seller i bought it from on ebay.
Old 10-23-2010, 06:10 PM   #11
Sunburst is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunburst is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunburst is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunburst is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunburst is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunburst is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunburst is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunburst is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunburst is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunburst is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunburst is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: RC
Sunburst's Tacoma Gallery
It looks good, great job!!!
Old 10-23-2010, 06:18 PM   #12
2010 double cab TRD Sport
El Tano is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Tano is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Tano is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Tano is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Tano is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Tano is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Tano is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Tano is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Tano is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Tano is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Tano is one of the sharper tools in the shed

El Tano's Tacoma Gallery
Nice work dude, I would like to do it, but no patience at all here..
Old 10-31-2010, 07:05 PM   #13
updated with the overhead console wrap done.
Old 10-31-2010, 07:57 PM   #14
Hacksaw engineer
Trapper6speed has much to be proud ofTrapper6speed has much to be proud ofTrapper6speed has much to be proud ofTrapper6speed has much to be proud ofTrapper6speed has much to be proud ofTrapper6speed has much to be proud ofTrapper6speed has much to be proud ofTrapper6speed has much to be proud of

Trapper6speed's Tacoma Gallery
Looks good. I wish I just had the time.
Old 10-31-2010, 08:10 PM   #16
Taco Truck Noob
Jefenator is one of the sharper tools in the shedJefenator is one of the sharper tools in the shedJefenator is one of the sharper tools in the shedJefenator is one of the sharper tools in the shedJefenator is one of the sharper tools in the shedJefenator is one of the sharper tools in the shedJefenator is one of the sharper tools in the shedJefenator is one of the sharper tools in the shedJefenator is one of the sharper tools in the shedJefenator is one of the sharper tools in the shedJefenator is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Jefenator's Tacoma Gallery
Wow, this is a real eye-opener. Thanks for sharing!

Do they sell patience on eBay?
Old 10-31-2010, 11:16 PM   #18
FXHO is on a distinguished road

Name: Luis
FXHO's Tacoma Gallery
Nice
Old 11-01-2010, 04:02 PM   #19
Thanks guys. Yes patience is a must the overhead console took me 3 hrs from start to finish. Just took my time and jammed to some metal on pandora, that always does the trick
Old 11-01-2010, 04:20 PM   #20
The1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peps
The1youluv2hate's Tacoma Gallery
Nice I was looking into doing this mod great job