1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Normal Amounts of Rust?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by myname150, Oct 23, 2010.

1. Oct 24, 2010 at 10:50 AM
    jcayce

jcayce Well-Known Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    17 DCSBTRDOR4X4
    You live in Houston, close to the coast where it is relatively humid. The cast iron parts will rust. If you have driven your truck in rain, it will rust. You have three options now that rust is already present.

Option 1: Power wash, let dry for a few days, then rub/brush used motor oil into the porous cast iron parts. Get some cheap $1 sponge and bristle brushes from HD or Lowes. This will keep the rust from growing and more importantly (to me at least) get rid of that bright orange/red rust color.

Option 2: Waxoyl. I have never seen or used a better product. This stuff is ridiculous and the Euro Land Rover guys will trade their wives and first children in for it. http://www.minimania.com/InvDetail.cfm?item=WAXOYL%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20&googlebase

Option 3: ACF-50. I may need to be the guinea pig on this one. It is easy to apply and the airline industry has given it the thumbs up and those guys are stringent. http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/cspages/acf50.php

I'm in Southern Texas with quite a good deal of humidity. Right now I'm trying this: http://www2.dupont.com/Consumer_Lubricants/en_US/products/dryfilm.html

My truck has not seen a drop of rain though so it really hasn't been given much of a test.

2. Oct 24, 2010 at 11:02 AM
    george3

george3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2008 2.7 Manual Trans Tacoma
    Seat belt beeper, Cabelas (Weathertech) floor liner gray, Covercraft Seat Savers in Taupe, Protecta Heavy Duty Rubber Truck Bed Mat, Pop n Lock PL5200, Pace Edwards Full Metal JackRabbit, Wolverine oil pan heater, Scangauge2, afe pro dry s filter, Remote Underbody 4 Piece LED Light Kit (White) used as Bed light, DIY Washable Cabin Air Filter, PA15-TOY, 4x4 Illuminated Switch, full synthetic, Redline Tuning Hood Support, Smittybilt Nerf Steps black powder-coated
    http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/cspages/acf50.php This looks interesting. Didn't see how to apply. Maybe I missed it some how. Will it go over other coatings such a paint or rust proofing you might have done in the past or does all that have to come off making it labor intensive ? Thanks Curious George

3. Oct 24, 2010 at 11:10 AM
    jcayce

jcayce Well-Known Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    17 DCSBTRDOR4X4
    You can use a garden sprayer or they sell it in aerosol cans. I bought one can sprayed half of an old shovel and left it against my back fence. The sprayed side is PERFECT. It hasn't rained much here but my automatic sprinklers hit it twice a week for 20 minutes. Don't let this fool you though. Car wax on raw steel has the same effect for short periods of time. I need a better test. Anyone got some ideas?

4. Oct 24, 2010 at 11:20 AM
    george3

george3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2008 2.7 Manual Trans Tacoma
    Seat belt beeper, Cabelas (Weathertech) floor liner gray, Covercraft Seat Savers in Taupe, Protecta Heavy Duty Rubber Truck Bed Mat, Pop n Lock PL5200, Pace Edwards Full Metal JackRabbit, Wolverine oil pan heater, Scangauge2, afe pro dry s filter, Remote Underbody 4 Piece LED Light Kit (White) used as Bed light, DIY Washable Cabin Air Filter, PA15-TOY, 4x4 Illuminated Switch, full synthetic, Redline Tuning Hood Support, Smittybilt Nerf Steps black powder-coated
    I really don't have any good ideas. I power wash and spray my frame with linseed oil once a year. This aircraft stuff is not cheap so just wondering if there was any point to it for me. Thanks for your reply. Curious George

5. Oct 24, 2010 at 11:22 AM
    inouk

inouk Well-Known Member

Member:

Products Discussed in

To Top