Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

6spd or no 6spd?

Old 10-24-2010, 06:05 PM   #21
scraping my emblems off my plasti-dip
crf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
crf69's Tacoma Gallery
A six speed auto would be neat if it wasnt geared like my auto five speeds
Old 10-24-2010, 06:05 PM   #22
Mob parking lots.
ryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: ET2(SS) veteran.
Name: Ryan J. Boutin
ryanjboutin's Tacoma Gallery
Kelson just put the URD short shifter on his 5-speed. Yes, he used the 6-speed short shifter on his 5-speed.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...ml#post2301631
Old 10-24-2010, 06:44 PM   #23
Black Sheep is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Sheep is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Sheep is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Sheep is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Sheep is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Sheep is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Sheep is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Sheep is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Sheep is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Sheep is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Sheep is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 6 years PA Army National Guard, 28th Infantry Division, 28th Signal Battalion
Name: Jeff
Black Sheep's Tacoma Gallery
I am going to go and drive the 6spd tomorrow at the dealership. They have an access cab with the 6 spd so I should be able to tell how it is going to be. If I notice the issues that I have been reading and I don't like them, I am going to change my order to the auto.
Old 10-24-2010, 06:48 PM   #24
Whiskey bent and hell bound.
Hoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: I'm TWITTER FAMOUS.
Name: Devin
Hoyal's Tacoma Gallery
I love the 6 speed!!
Old 10-24-2010, 07:01 PM   #25
JanBoothius is a splendid one to beholdJanBoothius is a splendid one to beholdJanBoothius is a splendid one to beholdJanBoothius is a splendid one to beholdJanBoothius is a splendid one to beholdJanBoothius is a splendid one to beholdJanBoothius is a splendid one to behold

Name: Jan (Pronounced Yan)
JanBoothius's Tacoma Gallery
I love my 6 speed, every single day I am pleased I didn't get an auto..
Old 10-24-2010, 07:03 PM   #26
I feel so Devo
tinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tinker_troy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Sheep View Post
I am going to go and drive the 6spd tomorrow at the dealership. They have an access cab with the 6 spd so I should be able to tell how it is going to be. If I notice the issues that I have been reading and I don't like them, I am going to change my order to the auto.
Cool. Let us know what you think.
Old 10-24-2010, 07:04 PM   #27
I support a velociraptor free workplace.
BrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Marcelasaurus
BrokenTusk's Tacoma Gallery
6 SPEED!!
Old 10-24-2010, 07:23 PM   #28
2009Taco is on a distinguished road
Navy: Information Systems Technician, Second Class
2009Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 2009Taco
6 speed! I have the URD short throw but haven't gotten around to installing it yet.
Old 10-24-2010, 07:30 PM   #29
megillet is one of the sharper tools in the shedmegillet is one of the sharper tools in the shedmegillet is one of the sharper tools in the shedmegillet is one of the sharper tools in the shedmegillet is one of the sharper tools in the shedmegillet is one of the sharper tools in the shedmegillet is one of the sharper tools in the shedmegillet is one of the sharper tools in the shedmegillet is one of the sharper tools in the shedmegillet is one of the sharper tools in the shedmegillet is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Mark
megillet's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to megillet
I have about 7500 miles now on my 6sp, and I can say that I wasn't sure I liked it at first, but after installing the TRD short shift kit, and it having more miles, it just gets smoother and smoother. I don't think I'll have any reliability issues, but we'll see. The RPM hang is a different, but you get used to it. And there is a difference between 5th and 6th; 5th is 1:1 and 6th is OD. RPMs are kind of high in 6th on the freeway, but you will rarely, if ever, have to downshift once up to speed (unless going up a steep grade). I consistently get 19MPG combined city and highway with mine, and have gotten as high as 23+MPG for a tank that was all highway.
Old 10-24-2010, 07:34 PM   #30
supralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to behold

Name: Dan
supralight's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Sure you can. No different than a stick. Im a fan of both trans., but the auto in the Tacoma is the best auto I have driven.
Thought you could damage an automatic by rocking it...?
Old 10-24-2010, 07:41 PM   #31
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by supralight View Post
Thought you could damage an automatic by rocking it...?
I never have.
Old 10-24-2010, 08:04 PM   #32
DUDE MAN BRO
BEEFY_CHEESY_TACO has a brilliant futureBEEFY_CHEESY_TACO has a brilliant futureBEEFY_CHEESY_TACO has a brilliant futureBEEFY_CHEESY_TACO has a brilliant futureBEEFY_CHEESY_TACO has a brilliant futureBEEFY_CHEESY_TACO has a brilliant futureBEEFY_CHEESY_TACO has a brilliant futureBEEFY_CHEESY_TACO has a brilliant futureBEEFY_CHEESY_TACO has a brilliant futureBEEFY_CHEESY_TACO has a brilliant futureBEEFY_CHEESY_TACO has a brilliant future

Air Force: A.G.E.
Name: Hot Carl!!!
BEEFY_CHEESY_TACO's Tacoma Gallery
going on 14k miles and i love my 6spd! havent had any problems at all with it. as far as it shifting "sloppy". out of all the trucks ive driven with MT, I would say it shifts like a F-ing TRUCK! I dont undestand why people keep comparing it to the way their honda civic SI shifts (just an example). Its not a sports car...its a truck. Hope you get what you want!
Old 10-24-2010, 08:08 PM   #33
2009Taco is on a distinguished road
Navy: Information Systems Technician, Second Class
2009Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 2009Taco
Also forgot, 2009 with over 45K miles, with no problems.
Old 10-24-2010, 09:01 PM   #34
U no kea but AINOFEA!
kauaibuilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedkauaibuilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedkauaibuilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedkauaibuilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedkauaibuilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedkauaibuilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedkauaibuilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedkauaibuilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedkauaibuilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedkauaibuilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedkauaibuilt is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Nurse
kauaibuilt's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by megillet View Post
I have about 7500 miles now on my 6sp, and I can say that I wasn't sure I liked it at first, but after installing the TRD short shift kit, and it having more miles, it just gets smoother and smoother. I don't think I'll have any reliability issues, but we'll see. The RPM hang is a different, but you get used to it. And there is a difference between 5th and 6th; 5th is 1:1 and 6th is OD. RPMs are kind of high in 6th on the freeway, but you will rarely, if ever, have to downshift once up to speed (unless going up a steep grade). I consistently get 19MPG combined city and highway with mine, and have gotten as high as 23+MPG for a tank that was all highway.
19mpg comb???? WTF am I doing wrong? 14-16 avg for comb. EPA is 18mpg highway.Expect to install a short shifter right away - URD is an easy one to do.
Old 10-24-2010, 09:19 PM   #35
Carson is a splendid one to beholdCarson is a splendid one to beholdCarson is a splendid one to beholdCarson is a splendid one to beholdCarson is a splendid one to beholdCarson is a splendid one to beholdCarson is a splendid one to behold

Name: Carson
Carson's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 6spd and i am completely fine with it. I have the URD SS installed, its great.
Old 10-24-2010, 09:55 PM   #36
1SexyTaco is on a distinguished road
1SexyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
6 SPEED!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-24-2010, 10:05 PM   #37
Eman5pt0 has a spectacular aura aboutEman5pt0 has a spectacular aura about
Name: E
Eman5pt0's Tacoma Gallery
whats the gearing on the 6 speed ?
Old 10-24-2010, 11:01 PM   #38
Taco11 is on a distinguished road

Name: Chris
Taco11's Tacoma Gallery
I loved the 6speed from day one. Test drive at the dealer I loved it. It all just felt right. And now with 1800 miles I love it even more. Just dont shift so fast. No idea why you would want a SS.. Its not like its difficult to beat the RPM match. When matched right it just glides through the gears.
Old 10-25-2010, 12:37 AM   #39
shampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud of
shampoop's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phullabull View Post
I have the 6 speed and it did take a bit to get used to with the EPA required RPM delay.
what? any details on this "epa requred rpm delay"?
Old 10-25-2010, 01:23 AM   #40
superminsoo is on a distinguished road

superminsoo's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to superminsoo
Close to 60,000 with my 6 speed. Love it! I'd get a hyundai truck if they made one too considering that our family has 5 hyundais all with 120,000+ miles and couple with 170,000+ and all running strong. Urd short shifter on my wish list!