Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

6spd or no 6spd?

Old 10-25-2010, 06:13 AM   #41
megillet is one of the sharper tools in the shedmegillet is one of the sharper tools in the shedmegillet is one of the sharper tools in the shedmegillet is one of the sharper tools in the shedmegillet is one of the sharper tools in the shedmegillet is one of the sharper tools in the shedmegillet is one of the sharper tools in the shedmegillet is one of the sharper tools in the shedmegillet is one of the sharper tools in the shedmegillet is one of the sharper tools in the shedmegillet is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Mark
megillet's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to megillet
Quote:
Originally Posted by saulibiomd View Post
19mpg comb???? WTF am I doing wrong? 14-16 avg for comb. EPA is 18mpg highway.Expect to install a short shifter right away - URD is an easy one to do.
I don't know what to tell you man. I take off slow from most starts, shift by 2K rpm, and only go 60 in 6th on the freeway (unless I'm running late).
Old 10-25-2010, 07:02 AM   #42
There's an evil monkey in my truck
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Name: Robert
Evil Monkey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by saulibiomd View Post
19mpg comb???? WTF am I doing wrong? 14-16 avg for comb. EPA is 18mpg highway.Expect to install a short shifter right away - URD is an easy one to do.
Might be a difference in terrain between him and us. I've gotten a little over 18, mostly highway with 285 Mud Terrains (rancho bernardo to point loma commute, rpms at 2200 or less). Hills kill the mileage quickly, even on the freeway. I have a Aeroforce gauge and it shows 18-20 on straightaways but drops to 10-12 on hills. Another thing that can kill the mpg is the air conditioner. I've noticed a 1-2 mpg drop just from turning the AC on. Do coasting to get your mpgs up when feasable.

Keeping the RPMs at 2200 is tough because you're basically running about 65 mph or less (which means you'll be one of the slowest on the freeway). The Aeroforce gauge helps because I have an alert set at 2200 rpms. When the threshold is exceeded, the gauge's LEDs will flash red.
Old 10-25-2010, 07:04 AM   #43
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Quote:
Originally Posted by megillet View Post
...and only go 60 in 6th on the freeway (unless I'm running late).
Probably this. Going 60 on the freeway is pretty slow out here. I'm running around 65mph and I get passed by most traffic.
Old 10-25-2010, 03:15 PM   #44
Phullabull is on a distinguished road
Phullabull's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by shampoop View Post
what? any details on this "epa requred rpm delay"?
I'm no expert but this is one explanation I found for the RPM delay or "Throttle Hang". I pulled this particular explanation off of Genesis Forums but I am sure there are numerous sites with similar info.:

"The rev hang (partial opening of the throttle) was put into the throttle body control in order to lessen the blow by gas emission. During the development Hyundai researchers experienced that if a throttle body closes immediately, pressure inside the engine(crankcase) becomes so great, it caused more oil vaporization than usual. This is quite normal for any turbo charged engines, but Hyundai wanted even better emissions and didn't want to deal with the "oil loss" issues. Thus by partially keeping the throttle body open even after gas pedal has been completely released, pressure can escape from engine."
Old 10-25-2010, 05:28 PM   #45
Black Sheep is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Sheep is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Sheep is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Sheep is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Sheep is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Sheep is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Sheep is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Sheep is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Sheep is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Sheep is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Sheep is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 6 years PA Army National Guard, 28th Infantry Division, 28th Signal Battalion
Name: Jeff
Black Sheep's Tacoma Gallery
Well, I drove the 6 spd tonight and I do not like it. I hate the throttle hang and I do not like the issue of the inevitable throwout bearing problem. The auto is going to cost me almost $1k more, but hopefully I will be happier.
Old 10-25-2010, 05:30 PM   #46
Señor Member
DriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DriverSound's Tacoma Gallery
I used to have an '09 six speed. At about 20K miles, I started to hear a very low whirl sound. But then I needed a long bed and got lower apr financing so now I got an '11 in automatic. BTW, if you stick with the 6speed, it's $200 fix with the sleeve kit. Might as well upgrade your clutch while you're at it. The auto is a little bit better on the gas mileage but not by much. Depends on how you drive. Like Chris said, drive both and decide.

If you haven't driven the 6 speed, I seriously suggest you do before going through with your order. From my experience, there seem to be a slight lag from the time you push the clutch in and when it disengages. I found other to have the same issue. It's also clunky and ackward and I've driven all kinds of manual cars and trucks for 20 years. I also suggest go to the Camaro forums since I believe the same transmission is on the V6 6speed camaro's to see if they have issues as well.

Also the pedal squeeked when the weather was hot!
Old 10-25-2010, 05:39 PM   #47
808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed
808matt's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Sheep View Post
Well, I drove the 6 spd tonight and I do not like it. I hate the throttle hang and I do not like the issue of the inevitable throwout bearing problem. The auto is going to cost me almost $1k more, but hopefully I will be happier.
i've got 47xxx miles on my o6 and no issue with the throwout bearing yet *knock on wood* and by "throttle hang" if you mean how the RPMs stay up for a bit. i figured it made shifting more easier as the travel from gear to gear isnt close like a sports car
Old 10-25-2010, 05:56 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808matt View Post
i've got 47xxx miles on my o6 and no issue with the throwout bearing yet *knock on wood* and by "throttle hang" if you mean how the RPMs stay up for a bit. i figured it made shifting more easier as the travel from gear to gear isnt close like a sports car
Same for me. I have about 49K with no issues.
Old 10-25-2010, 06:46 PM   #49
And now for something completely different....
Priddle is one of the sharper tools in the shedPriddle is one of the sharper tools in the shedPriddle is one of the sharper tools in the shedPriddle is one of the sharper tools in the shedPriddle is one of the sharper tools in the shedPriddle is one of the sharper tools in the shedPriddle is one of the sharper tools in the shedPriddle is one of the sharper tools in the shedPriddle is one of the sharper tools in the shedPriddle is one of the sharper tools in the shedPriddle is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Priddle's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriverSound View Post
If you haven't driven the 6 speed, I seriously suggest you do before going through with your order. From my experience, there seem to be a slight lag from the time you push the clutch in and when it disengages. I found other to have the same issue.
I origionally had a hard time figuring out the clutch. I press it in all the way or close to all the way and the time it took made for a rough shift. But I figured that it doesn't take much of a press to disengage the clutch so I only press it in 1/4 of the way perhaps. Shifting is smoother as a result.

Mine has about 46000kms and no clutch problems. The Toyota service record doesn't have any transmission work recorded.
Old 10-25-2010, 10:34 PM   #50
Señor Member
DriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DriverSound's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Priddle View Post
I origionally had a hard time figuring out the clutch. I press it in all the way or close to all the way and the time it took made for a rough shift. But I figured that it doesn't take much of a press to disengage the clutch so I only press it in 1/4 of the way perhaps. Shifting is smoother as a result.

Mine has about 46000kms and no clutch problems. The Toyota service record doesn't have any transmission work recorded.
The disengagement lag only happened on cold start up. After it warms up, it shifted fine. It was like that from day 1.
Old 10-26-2010, 08:40 AM   #51
Whiskey bent and hell bound.
Hoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: I'm TWITTER FAMOUS.
Name: Devin
Hoyal's Tacoma Gallery
Im at 55k no problems with mine. I get good gas mileage, I do as stated in here though when trying to get good gas mileage shift at or before 2k and take off slowly also dont go over 65mph. But most of the time I dont care and just romp it all the way to work. Mine shifts fine as well, I find it easy to drive some of you should try driving the WRX I had with an upgraded dog box with straight cut gears. I bet 98% of you wouldn't be able to get out of 2nd gear.(not saying your bad drivers but it took me a long time to be able to drive it good enough to race it).
Old 10-26-2010, 09:04 AM   #52
hookedontronics is one of the sharper tools in the shedhookedontronics is one of the sharper tools in the shedhookedontronics is one of the sharper tools in the shedhookedontronics is one of the sharper tools in the shedhookedontronics is one of the sharper tools in the shedhookedontronics is one of the sharper tools in the shedhookedontronics is one of the sharper tools in the shedhookedontronics is one of the sharper tools in the shedhookedontronics is one of the sharper tools in the shedhookedontronics is one of the sharper tools in the shedhookedontronics is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jake
hookedontronics's Tacoma Gallery
i really wanted a 6spd when i bought my 2010 but i ended up going with the auto instead because of the wait time involved for ordering one. I'm really glad i got an auto after owning my truck for 6 months. I tow quite a bit plus, it's a truck. It's not a sports car (like what i have previously been used to). The auto is very smooth and just makes it easier in the stop and go traffic. I'm happy i got an auto, and after owning it for 6 months i think i'd be dreading the manual at this point. I'm not gonna say it's a slow truck, but it's slow enough to where having a manual wouldn't be much fun, ya know? Plus, the auto gets better mileage...
Old 10-26-2010, 09:07 AM   #53
NO ONE GETS LEFT BEHIND.
xtreme69692001 is on a distinguished road
Law Enforcement: patrol
xtreme69692001's Tacoma Gallery
6spd is the way to go... i miss my 6spd
Old 10-26-2010, 09:07 AM   #54
Whiskey bent and hell bound.
Hoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: I'm TWITTER FAMOUS.
Name: Devin
Hoyal's Tacoma Gallery
The better gas mileage in an auto to me is still a myth I have reached the 400 mile mark for one tank with my 6speed and average 350-380 miles to the tank and thats with bigger tires than stock.
Old 10-26-2010, 10:24 AM   #55
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
macgyver's Tacoma Gallery
77k miles on my 6speed no mechanical issues...only nusiances...the only complaints I have are the throwout bearing squeaks from time to time, the pedal requires a shot of lube every few months, and I wish 6th gear was geared a little lower for highway driving.

I love driving a manual transmission though. I wouldn't buy an automatic.
Old 10-26-2010, 12:10 PM   #56
Tino4980 is on a distinguished road
Tino4980's Tacoma Gallery
love my 6 speed
Old 11-09-2010, 10:13 PM   #57
shampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud of
shampoop's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phullabull View Post
I'm no expert but this is one explanation I found for the RPM delay or "Throttle Hang". I pulled this particular explanation off of Genesis Forums but I am sure there are numerous sites with similar info.:

"The rev hang (partial opening of the throttle) was put into the throttle body control in order to lessen the blow by gas emission. During the development Hyundai researchers experienced that if a throttle body closes immediately, pressure inside the engine(crankcase) becomes so great, it caused more oil vaporization than usual. This is quite normal for any turbo charged engines, but Hyundai wanted even better emissions and didn't want to deal with the "oil loss" issues. Thus by partially keeping the throttle body open even after gas pedal has been completely released, pressure can escape from engine."
OK, i thought rpm delay meant throttle lag like all drive by wire manual trans toyotas have. As in, you press the gas pedal and nothing happens, theres a delay, then it reacts and the throttle actually opens or changes. On traditional systems and good drive by wire systems, it's all instantaneous. I hate toyota drive by wire + manual trans.
Old 11-10-2010, 09:31 PM   #59
Me l've got brains.
island808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jedediah
island808's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Sheep View Post
I have my 2011 Tacoma DC TRD TX ordered with the 6spd. But, with all I am reading on the forum, I might just have to change my mind and get it with the auto. I really want the 6spd. I love driving a MT. I have read that the 6spd shifts rough, gets bad gas mileage and has issues with throw out bearing. I do not want these problems with a brand new truck that I am ordering. Can anyone give me some advice or some info that will way me either way? It will be a $880 decision. That is the difference between the MT and AT. Not a big deal. I just want to be happy with my purchase.
If you can/like to drive stick, youre a safer smarter more couteous driver in control of your truck and have the alloted amount of testicles. Sometime try to find a stick shift with front end crash damage... Very under represented in crash statistics.
Old 11-11-2010, 07:55 PM   #60
shampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud of
shampoop's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by island808 View Post
If you can/like to drive stick, youre a safer smarter more couteous driver in control of your truck and have the alloted amount of testicles. Sometime try to find a stick shift with front end crash damage... Very under represented in crash statistics.
I would love to see some driving/crash statistics comparing manual trans drivers to auto trans drivers. I'm betting auto drivers crash over 4 times as often.