Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

6spd or no 6spd?

Old 10-24-2010, 04:44 PM   #1
Black Sheep is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Sheep is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Sheep is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Sheep is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Sheep is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Sheep is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Sheep is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Sheep is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Sheep is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Sheep is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Sheep is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 6 years PA Army National Guard, 28th Infantry Division, 28th Signal Battalion
Name: Jeff
Black Sheep's Tacoma Gallery
6spd or no 6spd?

I have my 2011 Tacoma DC TRD TX ordered with the 6spd. But, with all I am reading on the forum, I might just have to change my mind and get it with the auto. I really want the 6spd. I love driving a MT. I have read that the 6spd shifts rough, gets bad gas mileage and has issues with throw out bearing. I do not want these problems with a brand new truck that I am ordering. Can anyone give me some advice or some info that will way me either way? It will be a $880 decision. That is the difference between the MT and AT. Not a big deal. I just want to be happy with my purchase.
Old 10-24-2010, 04:49 PM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Best thing to do, is to go drive one. Drive both back to back if you can,. and see which you prefer.
Old 10-24-2010, 04:52 PM   #3
cagle77 is a splendid one to beholdcagle77 is a splendid one to beholdcagle77 is a splendid one to beholdcagle77 is a splendid one to beholdcagle77 is a splendid one to beholdcagle77 is a splendid one to beholdcagle77 is a splendid one to beholdcagle77 is a splendid one to behold
Name: Beau
cagle77's Tacoma Gallery
I had my heart set on a manual when I went to buy my truck, I drove one and instantly changed my mind. Ive had plenty of manuals in the past but this one just didn't seem right to me so I bought an auto. Go drive one and see how you like it. My $.02
Old 10-24-2010, 04:53 PM   #4
6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nate
6spdtaco's Tacoma Gallery
6 SPEED!!!!!!!
Old 10-24-2010, 05:04 PM   #6
Protected by Glock
Vidman will become famous soon enoughVidman will become famous soon enough
Name: Rick
Vidman's Tacoma Gallery
I havn,t driven an auto in 25 years. love my stick. just make sure you install the URD short shift kit makes a big difference. jmo
Old 10-24-2010, 05:07 PM   #7
Mob parking lots.
ryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: ET2(SS) veteran.
Name: Ryan J. Boutin
ryanjboutin's Tacoma Gallery
The V6 with 6-speed has tranny issues all the time with throwout bearings failing in the X-Runners. Can't be any better for off-roading.
Old 10-24-2010, 05:12 PM   #8
Look away, I'm hideous!
joneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Johnny-5
joneill03's Tacoma Gallery
I love my 6 speed. The TRD short shifter is high up on my wish list though as the stock shifting is a bit sloppy. I've never had an automatic as a daily driver and don't plan on having one any time soon. The shifting is different, maybe for me it took a bit of getting used to as I went from a car to a truck, but it's not bad. The engine holding the rpms up between shifts is what annoys the hell out of me.
Old 10-24-2010, 05:22 PM   #9
2gtacoma has a brilliant future2gtacoma has a brilliant future2gtacoma has a brilliant future2gtacoma has a brilliant future2gtacoma has a brilliant future2gtacoma has a brilliant future2gtacoma has a brilliant future2gtacoma has a brilliant future2gtacoma has a brilliant future2gtacoma has a brilliant future2gtacoma has a brilliant future
Name: Daniel
2gtacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I have never had a problem with my T-B or any other issues and i beat my truck its an 2005 v6 and im at 160,500 mi right now. Its all in your hands try a 6spd and try and auto its your money and spend it on what you want.
Old 10-24-2010, 05:24 PM   #10
Phullabull is on a distinguished road
Phullabull's Tacoma Gallery
I have the 6 speed and it did take a bit to get used to with the EPA required RPM delay. I've been driving a 68 Camaro manual so it is different....very different. Otherwise, the 6 speed is great. I prefer a manual to automatic for off road. A manual can get you out of difficult situations that automatics just can't. Ya can't rock the truck back and forth with an automatic!!!
Old 10-24-2010, 05:26 PM   #11
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phullabull View Post
I have the 6 speed and it did take a bit to get used to with the EPA required RPM delay. I've been driving a 68 Camaro manual so it is different....very different. Otherwise, the 6 speed is great. I prefer a manual to automatic for off road. A manual can get you out of difficult situations that automatics just can't. Ya can't rock the truck back and forth with an automatic!!!
Sure you can. No different than a stick. Im a fan of both trans., but the auto in the Tacoma is the best auto I have driven.
Old 10-24-2010, 05:27 PM   #12
Roll Tide
HondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: James
HondaGM's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Sure you can. No different than a stick. Im a fan of both trans., but the auto in the Tacoma is the best auto I have driven.
x2
Old 10-24-2010, 05:28 PM   #13
TACK is a name known to allTACK is a name known to allTACK is a name known to allTACK is a name known to allTACK is a name known to allTACK is a name known to all

TACK's Tacoma Gallery
x2 for the URD short shifter - makes a tremendous difference. I like driving mine a lot more with it installed. The RPM hang is annoying but I've gotten almost accustomed to it. At times I wish I'd gotten the auto instead, but as long as I don't have throwout bearing problems I'll be fine with the 6spd. After all, I got the MT for reliability (lol ) because I have had 4 vehicles in the past that had auto tranny problems.
Old 10-24-2010, 05:29 PM   #14
6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nate
6spdtaco's Tacoma Gallery
The manual 6 speed is the best manual I have driven in a truck. Cars are a completely different story. I would put the short throw shifter on immediately.
Old 10-24-2010, 05:37 PM   #15
I feel so Devo
tinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tinker_troy's Tacoma Gallery
I love my 6 speed.
But I would highly recommend the short throw shifter or the URD kit.

And as far as what you read on the internet you have to remember that no one gets on here to randomly talk about how great their stuff is working. Most people only get on here to b*tch and complain and then you won't hear from them again till something else goes wrong. So it kind of makes it a little lop sided.
I'm not making light of the issues that have come up with the 6 speed, obviously there was enough of a problem for Toyota to write TSBs for them, I'm just saying you have to take everything with a grain of salt.

I know as far as the clutch pedal squeak is concerned, I never even noticed it till another member asked about it. I could see how it would get on someones nerves but mine does it so rarely I never think about it.

But I agree with Chris, go try them both out and see which one you like and go that way.

PS: so far I have put 60,000 on this truck and I have had no problem with the 6 speed
Old 10-24-2010, 05:37 PM   #16
kessler89 is a splendid one to beholdkessler89 is a splendid one to beholdkessler89 is a splendid one to beholdkessler89 is a splendid one to beholdkessler89 is a splendid one to beholdkessler89 is a splendid one to beholdkessler89 is a splendid one to beholdkessler89 is a splendid one to behold

kessler89's Tacoma Gallery
i was gonna get the 6mt untill i read about the throw out bearing issues, decided to not chance it and went with a auto, this is the first auto i've ever owned in 11 years
Old 10-24-2010, 05:39 PM   #17
Phullabull is on a distinguished road
Phullabull's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Not at all questioning the quality of the auto trans. I am sure it is one of the best. I have been stuck in Florida sand and GA clay in both and I can get a truck loose easier with a manual than with an auto. Has nothing to do with quality. Has everything to do with clutch work. Just an opinion based on experience. I also prefer driving an auto in rush hour traffic much more than a manual. All depends on your personal need.
Old 10-24-2010, 05:51 PM   #18
Black Sheep is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Sheep is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Sheep is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Sheep is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Sheep is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Sheep is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Sheep is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Sheep is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Sheep is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Sheep is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Sheep is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 6 years PA Army National Guard, 28th Infantry Division, 28th Signal Battalion
Name: Jeff
Black Sheep's Tacoma Gallery
How tough is it to put the URD short throw shifter in? I put a B&M short shifter in my 06 GTO. I have wanted to do it also to my 03 Vete, but chose not to play with the center console.
Old 10-24-2010, 05:54 PM   #19
rv210 will become famous soon enoughrv210 will become famous soon enough

Name: robert
rv210's Tacoma Gallery
i have a 2005 dc with thew six speed and i really don't like it all that much. 5th gear and 6th gear have 0 difference. great for the 4wd but daily driving kinda sucks
Old 10-24-2010, 06:01 PM   #20
I feel so Devo
tinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tinker_troy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Sheep View Post
How tough is it to put the URD short throw shifter in? I put a B&M short shifter in my 06 GTO. I have wanted to do it also to my 03 Vete, but chose not to play with the center console.
I think the instructions are online but it is super easy. If you had no problems with your GTO you should have no problems with this.