1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rhino lined the whole truck.

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by 907taco, Oct 24, 2010.

1. Jan 24, 2011 at 2:13 PM
    PPower05

PPower05 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Perry
    Ranson, WV
    Vehicle:
    2010 SR5

2. Jan 24, 2011 at 2:42 PM
    JC808

JC808 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JC
    Kailua, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    10,DBL CAB, Blacked OUT!
    AFE Pro Dry Intake, Flowmaster 50 Series, Rear Camera Mod, Day Running Light Mod, Kill Switches!
    Not a good idea!

3. Jan 24, 2011 at 2:48 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit

4. Jan 25, 2011 at 10:55 AM
    fjrmurph

fjrmurph Well-Known Member

Member:
  5. Jan 25, 2011 at 11:03 AM
    ywen

ywen Well-Known Member

Member:
    Wait.. so you think wax and pin striping is reason enough to rhino line the whole truck!? lol

That's like saying I'm afraid of getting cracks in my dashboard over time from heat, so i just went ahead and beat it up with a hammer so any cracks that develop won't stand out.

6. Jan 25, 2011 at 11:05 AM
    ywen

ywen Well-Known Member

Member:
    THis brings up something else I"ve wondered about..

Why not got to Maaco and get a matte paint job?

i've always liked the matte look, but do door dings etc, show up even more obvious on a matte finish vs glossy?

7. Jan 25, 2011 at 12:00 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Not at all- Your analogy sucks. Rhino lining the truck isn't damaging it-Beating your dashboard with a hammer is. So use examples that make sense instead of talking out of your ass??

You don't like it- Don't do it- but a rhino lined truck will stand up to trail abuse far better than a regular painted truck. Not gunna see much rust pitting or chipping on rhino liner and it's far easier to patch if it does...

And honestly- Who cares?? It's not your truck- So you don't have to claim it or be seen in it. Stop being a judgmental prick.

8. Jan 25, 2011 at 2:24 PM
    ZonKs

ZonKs Can speak french in Russian.

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    Glendale, CA
    Vehicle:
    2018 Sport DCSB 4x4
    =p
    WTF....WHY the F would you do that????????:rolleyes:

9. Jan 25, 2011 at 2:34 PM
    ST77

ST77 Wandering doesn't mean you're lost

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Sandy, Or
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD OR DCSB
    Bone Stock
    I like the fact that its not the typical mall crawler... Its a real truck!

10. Jan 25, 2011 at 3:32 PM
    Supra TT

Supra TT Supercharged Lifter

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    2000 SAS D60 F/R Supercharged
    Supercharged on One Tons
    Probably still a mall crawler. I rather spend my 1-5K elseware... Like shit that helps me get over the terrain......

11. Jan 25, 2011 at 7:56 PM
    Nightfury

Nightfury Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    Vehicle:
    Factory running boards, Toyota (DeeZee built) toolbox, Code Alarm 5152 remote starter, Bronze TRD rims, more to come....
    Might save on toilet paper. Just hose it off when you're done!

EDIT: I'm still up in the air about this. I can see the functionality of it, but as someone pointed out, what's the point of protecting the paint if you can't see the paint? I suppose the point of it is now the Rhino Liner -IS- the paint, and if you get door dings/scratches/rock chips, touch up is just a couple sprays away.

WARNING! Derailment coming!

I can say I would strongly consider this option for a daily driver/work truck/off-road rig. I have been trying to find out if Toyota uses a one-step paint for any of their colors on the Tacoma that don't have metallic flake for that same reason (however, dealerships frown on you walking up to a truck of each color and slightly scratching a painted/clear coated surface for research purposes), but I imagine that bed liner over the paint is even tougher and easier to touch up. With a one step, just bring a can of Duplicolor with you, and if you get a scratch, buff, spray, and voila! It's gone. Anyone know if the Super White or old Radiant Red (or even the new 202 paint code black) is a one step?

12. Jan 25, 2011 at 8:14 PM
    Taco4x4NC

Taco4x4NC Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Western North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4 DC/LB "Pytrite Mica/Katzkin leather
    3m clear bra or Venture, stant locking gas cap, Shield, front windows tinted, weathertechs, ARE "Z" topper. Sockmonkey decal, Billy 5100's x 4 corners, Eibach coils, Toytec 1.5 AAL. Michelin 265/75/16 MS2's, Grillcraft MX series/TOYOTA badging. FJ/SE TRD Anthracite gray wheels. Katzkin leather/heated seats.
    Not for me...........ever.

13. Jan 25, 2011 at 8:18 PM
    Skywalker6

Skywalker6 Goldmember

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Big Ol' Juicy Double
  14. Jan 25, 2011 at 9:13 PM
    luke8603

luke8603 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    luke
    cape cod
    Vehicle:
    01 trd taco
    ome 881s, 2" AAL, All pro UCAs, deckplate, grey wire
    just to chime in on this topic, Rhino and line-x are both sprayed at high pressure(even though some rhino guys spray low pressure, while line-x has always been high pressure). the material being sprayed is only as good in looks as the person spraying it; well sprays.. we spray line-x up here on cape cod and we have done quite a few whole trucks/jeeps. while it does have its advantages there are some problems that can come about. Like Brunes stated rhino will hold up better to trail damage better than paint, this is true to an extent while it does protect your truck from branches and the crap flying off your tires if you happen to tear the liner you need to have the liner repaired asap because if you get any rust behind the liner or water gets between the liner and the sheetmetal and freezes you will have a real mess on your hands. imo it should be sprayed in the bed or cab or even fenders for added look. For those of you out there who are having the wonderful problem of keeping it from fading and cleaning it when it gets dirty heres a few tips to help.

1.with a freshly sprayed liner you have approx 24hrs before it cures enough for heavy use in this time period you can actually paint the liner essentially top coating it which will prevent fading or discoloring from washing.

2.with a not so fresh liner just give the bed a good cleaning let it dry wipe out the bed heavilly with ACETONE. this opens up the pores in the liner. then you can paint it with krylon, HSP, etc.

3. if you happen to play with anything 2 stroke and happen to get any oil on the liner it usually turns it pink blue green or something of the sort. don't even bother tryin to pressure wash it all you need is dawn or joy soap and a scrub brush and it usually does the trick.

any questions feel free to ask

LUKE

Products Discussed in

To Top