Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Just bought a '11 4 Door Double Cab (pics included). Give me some mod ideas!

Old 10-25-2010, 08:35 AM   #1
Falcon86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFalcon86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFalcon86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFalcon86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFalcon86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFalcon86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFalcon86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFalcon86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFalcon86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFalcon86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFalcon86 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Falcon86's Tacoma Gallery
Just bought a '11 4 Door Double Cab (pics included). Give me some mod ideas!

Just picked her up on Saturday. The dealership made it worth my while to go ahead and trade in and get the Tacoma, so I did exactly that. It's a 2.7l 4cyl, PreRunner double cab with short bed. Base model, but I love it.

What do you guys think I should do? I'd like some black wheels with beefier tires, but not sure if I'd have to put a lift on it. Anyone know the biggest wheel size I could run while leaving it stock?

The only reason I'd be hesitant to put a lift kit on it would be for warranty reasons.
Old 10-25-2010, 08:48 AM   #2
Look away, I'm hideous!
joneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Johnny-5
joneill03's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome to TW!
BTW What is that weird lookin vehicle in front of the nice taco?
Old 10-25-2010, 08:52 AM   #3
VanCity Taco.
ilg is a splendid one to beholdilg is a splendid one to beholdilg is a splendid one to beholdilg is a splendid one to beholdilg is a splendid one to beholdilg is a splendid one to beholdilg is a splendid one to beholdilg is a splendid one to behold

ilg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by joneill03 View Post
Welcome to TW!
BTW What is that weird lookin vehicle in front of the nice taco?
That's a Nissan Cube.
Old 10-25-2010, 08:56 AM   #4
PB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Patrick
PB65stang's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome to TW!

I had totally forgotten that you could get a 4 cylinder in a DC now. How's the performance/mileage so far?
Old 10-25-2010, 09:00 AM   #5
Falcon86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFalcon86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFalcon86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFalcon86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFalcon86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFalcon86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFalcon86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFalcon86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFalcon86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFalcon86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFalcon86 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by PB65stang View Post
Welcome to TW!

I had totally forgotten that you could get a 4 cylinder in a DC now. How's the performance/mileage so far?
For what I do, it's the perfect engine. I don't tow much, and really only will need the bed for the occasional home maintenance/landscaping project, or throwing the dual sport in the bed and heading for the trails.

It had a full tank when I bought it, I've driven about 80 miles since then, and it just moved from the full line to about a CM below full lol. Seems pretty good. One thing about the 4cyl is that it is QUIET. I can't tell that the engine is running when at idle.
Old 10-25-2010, 09:01 AM   #6
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome to TW and congrats on the new truck!! Mods? Lift and tires!! Oh and if you do the lift properly, it wont void your warranty. Oh and I'd remove that pinstripe sticker that goes across the truck.
Old 10-25-2010, 09:04 AM   #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by WW_FIREFIGHTER View Post
Welcome to TW and congrats on the new truck!! Mods? Lift and tires!! Oh and if you do the lift properly, it wont void your warranty. Oh and I'd remove that pinstripe sticker that goes across the truck.
Lol yeah the pinstripe is killing me. That should be a Cadillac only feature.

And would you mind forwarding me to the warranty friendly lift? I'm liking what I'm hearing...
Old 10-25-2010, 09:04 AM   #8
I should also add, the one thing that kills me every time I look at it is the fog light cutouts that are just grey plastic because I was too cheap to spring for the higher model with fog lights lol. So any ideas for a cheap way to get foglights that will fit in the stock location?
Old 10-25-2010, 09:07 AM   #9
Burns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Burns's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome to the site.They are putting a 4-Banger in a D-Cab now.
Old 10-25-2010, 09:13 AM   #10
MMMMM Taco's
Taco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Taco-NB's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon86 View Post
I should also add, the one thing that kills me every time I look at it is the fog light cutouts that are just grey plastic because I was too cheap to spring for the higher model with fog lights lol. So any ideas for a cheap way to get foglights that will fit in the stock location?
You should be able to install the lights. Have a look underneath. The wiring should be there. If it is, check eBay for the lights.

There are some threads on this forum that list the other things you will need. Just do a search.

Cheers.
Old 10-25-2010, 09:32 AM   #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer J View Post
I'm probably one of the select few that is completely stoked for it to be an option. Decent power, great MPG's, and the double cab for the baby seat.
Old 10-25-2010, 09:38 AM   #12
Burns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Burns's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I'm probably one of the select few that is completely stoked for it to be an option. Decent power, great MPG's, and the double cab for the baby seat.
Hey man as long as it works for you that's all that matters. Good luck with the new rig!
Old 10-25-2010, 11:14 AM   #13
TampaDude is on a distinguished road
Name: Steve
TampaDude's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WW_FIREFIGHTER View Post
+1 on losing the pinstripe
Old 10-25-2010, 11:59 AM   #14
cancov is on a distinguished road
cancov's Tacoma Gallery
I would stick with the flat black scheme. The unpainted fender flares and grille on the glossy black paint is really nice. But hey, I'm a fan of flat black.
Old 10-25-2010, 12:16 PM   #15
BeardedTaco has much to be proud ofBeardedTaco has much to be proud ofBeardedTaco has much to be proud ofBeardedTaco has much to be proud ofBeardedTaco has much to be proud ofBeardedTaco has much to be proud ofBeardedTaco has much to be proud ofBeardedTaco has much to be proud ofBeardedTaco has much to be proud ofBeardedTaco has much to be proud of
BeardedTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer J View Post
That's what i said.

Is your truck manual or auto?
Old 10-25-2010, 12:35 PM   #16
whitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
whitebread's Tacoma Gallery
Your first mod should be pulling those pin-stripes off!
Old 10-25-2010, 12:38 PM   #17
If You Search...You Shall Find.
uood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Uniform / Marked Patrol
uood8's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco-NB View Post
You should be able to install the lights. Have a look underneath. The wiring should be there. If it is, check eBay for the lights.

There are some threads on this forum that list the other things you will need. Just do a search.

Cheers.
Doubt you'll have the wiring, v6's are the only trucks prewired so far....the DC 2.7 may change it though.

You can get the whole kit off ebay with the harness and switch and the fog lights.
Old 10-25-2010, 12:43 PM   #18
ROLL TIDE!!!!!!!
Bama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Bama_TACO's Tacoma Gallery
As others have mentionsed, get rid of pinstripe, get window tint, do the black headlight mod, add the factory fogs, wheels and tires.
Old 10-25-2010, 12:52 PM   #19
If You Search...You Shall Find.
uood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Uniform / Marked Patrol
uood8's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Everyone was saying how the DC 2.7 was going to be slow and crappy, but everyone failed to realize the weight differences.

AC Prerunner Auto Curb Weight - 3740
DC Prerunner Auto Curb Weight - 3825
AC 4x4 5-Speed Curb Weight - 3955

So technically your truck should have fairly equal real world performance to mine and everyone elses 4x4 2.7 access cab, since you will have a slight loss in power through your slushbox transmission the 130 pound weight advantage you'll have should make up for part of it.
Old 10-25-2010, 01:58 PM   #20
To whomever asked earlier, I have the auto transmission. The truck definitely isn't going to win any drag races, but it's really not bad for a 2.7. If I've got it filled with passengers as well as a load in the bed, I'm sure merging onto the superslab will be a PITA, but it does just fine with myself, my wife, and the baby in it.

And my black lab definitely approves, he's given it his drool mark of approval all down the passengers window/door after a quick ride haha.

The pinstripe is definitely terrible, I'm hoping to get a heat gun and get rid of it before the sun bakes it on. Then wheels/tires and possible lift.