Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

anyone have a 5100 installation guide/instructions

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-25-2010, 06:55 PM   #1
w103tws will become famous soon enoughw103tws will become famous soon enough
w103tws's Tacoma Gallery
anyone have a 5100 installation guide/instructions

I'm gonna be puttin on my new billies in a week or so, but need some directions. I've done a susp lift many years ago, but don't have the faintest idea on how I did it. I was just wondering if someone had a tutorial or directions on how to do this. Thanks
Old 10-25-2010, 06:57 PM   #2
Is there a long john silvers on the island?
TurfTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurfTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurfTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurfTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurfTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurfTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurfTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurfTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurfTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurfTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurfTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TurfTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by w103tws View Post
I'm gonna be puttin on my new billies in a week or so, but need some directions. I've done a susp lift many years ago, but don't have the faintest idea on how I did it. I was just wondering if someone had a tutorial or directions on how to do this. Thanks
There is a sticky on this...but let a shop disassemble the coils and install the new shocks.
Old 10-25-2010, 07:28 PM   #3
Make mine a Double!
skistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud of

Navy:
Name: Mike
skistoy's Tacoma Gallery
Completely remove the sway bar.

Its easy and gives you alot more room to remove the coil/shock assembly.
Old 10-26-2010, 07:46 AM   #4
w103tws's Tacoma Gallery
Well, I have access to a spring compressor, so that part I should be able to do myself.

I have not been able to find a sticky, or any step by step guide on how to do this. Maybe I'm over thinking this, maybe I should just start taking things apart and figure it out as I go.
Old 10-26-2010, 07:57 AM   #6
w103tws's Tacoma Gallery
Thank you for the link. I'll call around and see if someone will do it for me (cheaply of course)
Old 10-26-2010, 08:02 AM   #7
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Compressing the springs isn't really a big deal if you just be careful. Done it on 3 vehicles. An imapct gun makes the job go quicker.
Old 10-26-2010, 08:31 AM   #8
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
macgyver's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPT View Post
Compressing the springs isn't really a big deal if you just be careful. Done it on 3 vehicles. An imapct gun makes the job go quicker.
This ^
Old 10-26-2010, 08:34 AM   #9
Whiskey bent and hell bound.
Hoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: I'm TWITTER FAMOUS.
Name: Devin
Hoyal's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurfTaco View Post
There is a sticky on this...but let a shop disassemble the coils and install the new shocks.
You can do it your self safely. I did mine with a spring compressor from harbor freight and at no point was it unsafe. My tacoma was the first time I tried it and did it fine with some friends and the STICKY write up from here took about 3 hours.

http://www.harborfreight.com/single-...sor-43753.html
^^^^^^^^^^^^
The one I used.
Old 10-26-2010, 10:01 AM   #11
TRIBE 10
jnoley07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjnoley07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjnoley07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjnoley07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjnoley07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjnoley07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjnoley07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjnoley07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjnoley07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjnoley07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjnoley07 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: F-18 E/F(Super Hornet) Aviation Electronics Technician (AT2)
Name: Jay
jnoley07's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by skistoy View Post
Completely remove the sway bar.

Its easy and gives you alot more room to remove the coil/shock assembly.
YES!! The first time I removed my stock TRD billies to install my 5100s I didnt remove the sway bar....PITA! When I installed the toytec/eibach springs this weekend, I removed swaybar, and so much easier!
Old 02-25-2011, 12:30 PM   #12
w103tws's Tacoma Gallery
So, I'm finally almost ready to do this install, but am wondering about the tie rod end. Is it necessary to separate the ball joint at the end of it, or can I do the installation without messing with it?
Old 02-25-2011, 02:08 PM   #13
Whiskey bent and hell bound.
Hoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: I'm TWITTER FAMOUS.
Name: Devin
Hoyal's Tacoma Gallery
It will make life easier. Its not bad, I Just did a new front.3 inch with 5100 and new springs with air tools the fronts can be done in an hour or less.
Old 02-25-2011, 03:00 PM   #14
Fireguy68 is on a distinguished road

Air Force: Fire
Name: A Brown Guy
Fireguy68's Tacoma Gallery
If you go to youtube and put in "tacoma lift install" there are a couple of videos of installs with different brands but it'll show you what to do. I just did mine and rented a spring compressor from Autozone for free. Two hands definitely help, and air tools. I didn't remove sway bar.
Old 02-25-2011, 05:28 PM   #15
Señor Member
DriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DriverSound's Tacoma Gallery
Remove the sway bars. They get in the way. I find it necessary to unbolt ball joints from the tie-rod ends though I did not touch the uca ball joints at all. I also used an impact gun for the spring compressor otherwise, it would be a pain.
Old 02-26-2011, 05:59 AM   #16
w103tws's Tacoma Gallery
so, are people taking apart the ball joint on the tie rod and the UCA? Or is it more like only 1 has to come apart, take your choice?
Old 02-27-2011, 07:53 AM   #17
Señor Member
DriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DriverSound's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by w103tws View Post
so, are people taking apart the ball joint on the tie rod and the UCA? Or is it more like only 1 has to come apart, take your choice?
I've done this a few times. I don't take the UCA ball joints apart.

Products Discussed in this Thread