Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Engine oil dip stick stuck ..very hard to pull..

Old 10-25-2010, 09:03 PM   #1
Mr.Tacoma is on a distinguished road

Mr.Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Arrow Engine oil dip stick stuck ..very hard to pull..

On 2005 Tacoma V6...while i m trying to check oil level..the dip stick refuses to come out..Any idea why..Dont wanna break this thing with half of it inside.
Old 10-25-2010, 09:11 PM   #2
BakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Herbie Hancock
BakoTruck's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Tacoma View Post
On 2005 Tacoma V6...while i m trying to check oil level..the dip stick refuses to come out..Any idea why..Dont wanna break this thing with half of it inside.
I've never heard of this issue before? Mine comes out just fine.....the only thing I can think of is if you have sludge build up, or you're not pulling on the actual dipstick and it's something else? I'm not sure, do you change the oil like it should be?

Maybe someone else can come on and figure it out, I have no idea.
Old 10-25-2010, 09:11 PM   #3
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Try twisting a bit back and forth while pulling. Don't pull too hard though.
Old 10-25-2010, 09:12 PM   #4
BakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Herbie Hancock
BakoTruck's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
X2! good idea.
Old 10-26-2010, 01:16 PM   #5
Jeffh1199 is a splendid one to beholdJeffh1199 is a splendid one to beholdJeffh1199 is a splendid one to beholdJeffh1199 is a splendid one to beholdJeffh1199 is a splendid one to beholdJeffh1199 is a splendid one to beholdJeffh1199 is a splendid one to beholdJeffh1199 is a splendid one to behold
Jeffh1199's Tacoma Gallery
My dip stick did this too. There is an O ring on the handle of the dip stick so that no crap will get down the tube. If you look at the end of the tube there is probably a bit of corrosion there and on the O ring. just get a little motor oil and rub it around the O ring and clean the top of the tube with a rag and some wd 40. Then you shouldn't have anymore trouble getting it out.
Old 10-26-2010, 01:28 PM   #6
Sounds Gooooood
ItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
ItalynStylion's Tacoma Gallery
I was thinking he might need to give it a little twist as well; just to break the initial seal.

Either that or do some finger exercises. I'll let you all decide which ones.
Old 10-26-2010, 02:42 PM   #7
fjrmurph is one of the sharper tools in the shedfjrmurph is one of the sharper tools in the shedfjrmurph is one of the sharper tools in the shedfjrmurph is one of the sharper tools in the shedfjrmurph is one of the sharper tools in the shedfjrmurph is one of the sharper tools in the shedfjrmurph is one of the sharper tools in the shedfjrmurph is one of the sharper tools in the shedfjrmurph is one of the sharper tools in the shedfjrmurph is one of the sharper tools in the shedfjrmurph is one of the sharper tools in the shed
fjrmurph's Tacoma Gallery
I had the same trouble with my 2010 with only 8000 KM's on it. I did get the dipstick out but couldn't get back down all the way. It was due its first service, the stealership fixed it for me.
Old 10-26-2010, 02:53 PM   #8
Another Toyota Enthusiast
toyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
toyo freak's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
Thats what she said!!!
Old 10-26-2010, 08:50 PM   #9

thnks evryone, some sort of corrosion must be the reason and i just bought this 2005 tacoma, Oil was changed in april 2010, 4000kms ago...will try again with some motoroil n wd40.
Old 10-26-2010, 09:00 PM   #10
ttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tyler
ttylerr's Tacoma Gallery
had this happen on a cat c-12. threw a rod through the side of the block and all the pieces jammed the dipstick in the pan lol

obviously, this is not your problem though...
Old 10-27-2010, 05:21 AM   #11
Stay lifted my friends !
Wattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedWattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedWattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedWattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedWattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedWattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedWattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedWattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedWattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedWattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedWattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Uncle K
Wattapunk's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by toyo freak View Post
Thats what she said!!!
I knew this thread was going to get a response like this, just didn't know when.
Old 10-27-2010, 05:27 AM   #12
StandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Prior service. KC135 Crew Chief
Name: John
StandingCow's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wattapunk View Post
I knew this thread was going to get a response like this, just didn't know when.
Someone beat me to it.
Old 10-27-2010, 05:38 AM   #13
Hellmutt is a splendid one to beholdHellmutt is a splendid one to beholdHellmutt is a splendid one to beholdHellmutt is a splendid one to beholdHellmutt is a splendid one to beholdHellmutt is a splendid one to behold

Name: Jason
Hellmutt's Tacoma Gallery
Mine likes to bind up when I'm putting it back in the guide tube, I just flip it around and then it usually drops right in.......I'm thinking you may have a dry seal ring on the stick or junk made it's way into the guide tube -- if you go offroading, mud / water can splash down in making it stick in the tube like that - like Jeffh1199 recommended, clean it out good with some oil and lube up the seal before re-install
Old 01-24-2011, 11:40 AM   #14

Arrow Engine oil dip stick stuck ..very hard to pull -UPDATE-

-UPDATE-
The mechanic who did the oilchange..gave up pulling by hand, got a pry bar..slid it thru the finger handle with the end of pry bar in the engine block..gave a real hard lift and finally it came out...Now its greased and put back !!!
Old 06-29-2011, 04:05 PM   #15
LaBoss is on a distinguished road
LaBoss's Tacoma Gallery
Snaped my stick in the hole!!!

I tried the twist and pull method and slipped a pry bar in the finger loop and the loop snapped off. There is still enough yellow to seal the hole and the metal end of the stick is peeking out... but I won't be able to get it out w/ out a good set of vice grips and a new dip stick ready to go.
Old 02-14-2012, 04:26 PM   #16
Gronk is on a distinguished road
Gronk's Tacoma Gallery
Exclamation OIL DIPSTICK REMOVAL

I know you guys are going to have a field day with this but I have had a problem with getting it out. I change the oil religiously and check the oil after the change. This time it would not come out. I twisted and pulled it with a very large screwdriver. Got the stick out but their is a fitting stuck inside about two inches down the tube. Plan on trying a drill, screw, lube and vice grips to get it out. I have never and mean never had this happen on any vehicle I have owned.
Old 02-14-2012, 04:40 PM   #17
Hmmmm
TurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gabe
TurboGT's Tacoma Gallery
Be sure to PM Krazie and ask for his help on changing his oil... He has a very interesting method that apparently works very well.

Here's a link to help out

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...3318-halp.html
Old 02-15-2012, 05:37 AM   #18
LaBoss is on a distinguished road
LaBoss's Tacoma Gallery
Try heating the dip stick tube to get the stick loose. My mechanic got a little torch in there so that the edge of the plastic would begin to melt for easier removal. He figured this would be better then drilling through and getting plastic shavings in the engine block.