1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Future owner of 2007 Tacoma

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by kilo, Apr 10, 2007.

1. Apr 10, 2007 at 5:18 PM
    kilo

kilo [OP] Solo Member

Member:
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2007 Dbl cab long bed TRD Sport
    custom sliders, 3" Old Man Emu lift, onboard air, custom surf-rod mount, custom bed rack, ARB bumper, Budbuilt fuel tank skid-plate
    Hey guys and ladies, I just ordered a new 07 dbl cab, long beb TRD sport. Went with the sport mainly for the looks(hood scoop) it's BOLD.:cool: Right now I own a 2001 F350 dbl cab, short bed, 4x4 super duty, I didn't need it then and I don't need it now. I bought it on looks only(status), and want something new and practicle. So I decided on the Tacoma. Biggest to smallest, it's a big change. I'm looking forward to my new truck!:) I do go hunting and it gets muddy, REAL muddy, and just got into surf fishing down on the Padre National Sea Shore(PINS) and it's sandy, and can get REAL sandy. These hobbies are only 15-20 times a year, depends on work. I'm not a mechanic by any means, so my question is, what's the biggest difference between the OFFROAD and the SPORT? Will the SPORT perform for what I want it to do? As little as I do it. Any help and or opinions would help. Thanks!!

2. Apr 10, 2007 at 8:07 PM
    keynote22

keynote22 Well-Known Member

Member:
    I think the off road's rear locker would be better than the sports limited slip for mud and sand. But driving in mud is an art with either a locker or a limited slip. The off road's 16" wheels would make it cheaper to get some better tires for the purpose but the sports 17" wheels are better for on road.

The sport has bigger gearing in the rear end but that shouldnt make a difference unless you do serious climbing.

get either and then get a winch and you are set.

FWIW (if ya didnt know) lockers mean you can selectively make both rear wheels spin at the same rate. Limited slip means if one wheel starts to spin the power transfers to the opposite wheel. Limited slip is better for on road conditions. You really cant use a locker on road.

3. Apr 10, 2007 at 9:03 PM
    kilo

kilo [OP] Solo Member

Member:
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    custom sliders, 3" Old Man Emu lift, onboard air, custom surf-rod mount, custom bed rack, ARB bumper, Budbuilt fuel tank skid-plate
    Thanks Keynote, I can still put aftermarket lockers on it, right? I've got plans with accessorizing this new truck that I've got ordered. Maybe an ARB bumper, Donahoe suspension, and maybe the new Warn A/C-winch? Not to sure yet? I don't want to get it looking to out of stock. I like the clean and straight look. But I still want it to go anywhere I choose!!

4. Apr 11, 2007 at 3:03 AM
    2000GM

2000GM Member

Member:
    One thing to remember about the locker in the Off Road package is that I believe it's only useable in 4-lo. I'm sure guys have figured out how to bypass it so you can lock the rear in 4-hi or maybe even in 2wd. With the LSD you know you're still going to get power to both wheels if it's needed, but only after a little wheelspin. On-road, the LSD will be much better than the open rear of the Off-Road TRD.

I have a Dodge Ram 4X4 with the hemi and since day 1 I have regretted not looking around more for the same truck with the LSD. It's very hard even with good tires to get traction pulling away from stops or intersections while turning. The one tire lights up and you feel like a boob.

I'm waiting on a longbed double cab 4X4 TRD Sport myself which should be in in a month or so. I too have never "needed" a full size truck yet that's what I've always driven. I am probably sharing many of the same uncertainties as you, not being 100% sure I'll be happy going smaller.

5. Apr 11, 2007 at 12:37 PM
    keynote22

keynote22 Well-Known Member

Member:
    there are pros and cons to after market lockers depending on which one you go with. You really cant go wrong either way if you are planning on getting a winch. They debate this endlessly on TTORA and most hard core guys went with the sport and then after market lockers. I saw on speed vision that for typical getting stuck situations, the locker is better to get out and much better to get over something. LSD might be better at avoiding getting stuck in the first place (as long as you keep moving) My feeling is that mud usually gets ya if you stop or slow down in which case the winch is the sure fire method of escape :D

I will add that I dont really like the way the off road package spins the wheels when cornering hard on dry pavement. But I wanted the factory locker because I plan to rock climb and I dont know enough about that sort of mod to do it myself. 2000GM is correct, the locker only works in 4 low. It would be dangerous at higher speeds to have both wheels forced to spin at the same rate if you tried to turn.

6. Apr 11, 2007 at 6:23 PM
    kilo

kilo [OP] Solo Member

Member:
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for all of that Keynote and 2KGM, I feel better about this truck. One more question for you and everybody else, does anybody know of a front bumper that has a 2" receiver on it that will fit the 07 tacoma?

7. Apr 11, 2007 at 7:52 PM
    Duckman

Duckman n00b Extordinaire

Member:
    Somewhere on the River
    Vehicle:
    17 White TRD ORDC TECH 4X4
    What he said!

I just picked up my 07 Dbl Cab Pre Runner with TRD Off Road yesterday and I traded in a 99 Pre-Runner Extra cab with 233k that I bought new...And I duck hunt a lot. That locker has helped me more than anything...pulling a duck boat out on icee or muddy boat ramps has just turned out to be the jimmies for me. Plus better tires for the off pavement stuff.

Congrats on the new truck...mine has only 180 miles so far...I believe it's a keeper.

8. Apr 12, 2007 at 9:39 AM
    2000GM

2000GM Member

Member:
    A 4X4 with limited slip rear will get more traction than a pre-runner with the rear end locked. Pre runner locked = power to both rear wheels. 4X4 with LS = power to at least one front wheel (where the most weight is), and both rears, once one rear tire has begun to slip. Just saying, you really can't compare. Especially since with the locker in a 4X4 you can only lock it up after stopping and switching to 4-lo. When a 4X4 w/ locker is in 4-hi, with no LS you will only send power to one front wheel and one rear wheel if you have no traction. In a sense, the LS rear will do the same thing that the locker will, but will do it at any time, at any speed, without the driver having to do anything.

9. Apr 12, 2007 at 10:14 AM
    Duckman

Duckman n00b Extordinaire

Member:
    Somewhere on the River
    Vehicle:
    17 White TRD ORDC TECH 4X4
    2gM,

Completely agree...it's all about what you are going to do. For what I do in the mud, ice and fields, my Prerunner is all I need. I can truly say I have never been stuck...I would not of got this second Taco with out one.

10. Apr 12, 2007 at 12:17 PM
    nd

nd Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off-Road 4x4 debadged
    De badged, 5100's, Black Toyota Baja wheels
    After describing what you are going to use it for, i would definately go with the off road. I would rather have the locking rear diff than the lsd. Also, i believe you mentioned replacing the suspension? I definately WOULD NOT do that. The TRD comes with Bilstein. After putting Bilstein on my BMW, and having the TRD package on my truck, i believe that Bilstein is the best suspension on the planet. I've done alot of reading up on Bilstein and their stuff is great. If you feel the need to do something to beef up the off road capabilities, definately go with the winch and maybe get a lift that will utilize the existing suspension. welcome to the forum and i hope you love your truck as much as the rest of us love ours :)

P.S. DONT REPLACE THE SUSPENSION!!!!

11. Apr 12, 2007 at 2:19 PM
    kilo

kilo [OP] Solo Member

Member:
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Thanks guys! Hey NDcouch the supension I was looking at has the bigger Bilstein shocks, Donahoe package.

12. Apr 12, 2007 at 2:45 PM
    Ldytaco05

Ldytaco05 it's all about me

Member:
    Orlando, Fl.
    Vehicle:
    2005 PreRunner,Enkei Wheels
    Welcome to TW post your photo when you get it. good choice, good man :pccoffee:

13. Apr 13, 2007 at 6:51 AM
    nd

nd Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off-Road 4x4 debadged
    De badged, 5100's, Black Toyota Baja wheels

Oh, well in that case go ahead and replace the suspension. The thing is you're paying alot for that package and then going to pay to replace the suspension.... just a thought. you may want to consider not getting the TRD package and just using the aftermarket suspension. The TRD does come with some nice options aside from the suspension.

Products Discussed in

To Top