Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Why not 275/70/16...?

Old 10-25-2010, 10:05 PM   #1
JMan551 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJMan551 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJMan551 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJMan551 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJMan551 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJMan551 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJMan551 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJMan551 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJMan551 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJMan551 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJMan551 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jeremy
JMan551's Tacoma Gallery
Why not 275/70/16...?

I'm looking for all of your TW knowledge!

Basically, I'm looking to pick up a set of FJ TRD rims at some point in the future as well as throwing on a 3" lift. I foresee myself not being able to do it all at once, and I will assume doing rims and tires will happen first. That being said:

It seems like 265 will fit perfectly fine and 285 will rub on a stock ride (even with a lift in some applications). I know I can get a 275...seems perfect. I can get my wide looking tires and also stay within reason. I would imagine the 275 would either not rub at all or just slightly. In my searching it seems like this is not a very popular choice, WHY? I also like the fact that I may stay within ratio so my speedo does not get too far off.

I have been searching...finding a few posts, but no reasoning when people suggest doing just a 265 or go up to a 285.

Thanks for the help,
JER
Old 10-25-2010, 10:08 PM   #2
Tacotronn
TacoTron is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTron is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTron is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTron is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTron is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTron is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTron is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTron is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTron is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTron is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTron is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
TacoTron's Tacoma Gallery
I wasnt even aware that there was a 275 tire size haha. Maybe not to many companies make that size? Alot of people run a 33 or a 35 and I am running a 34. It depends on you honestly in the end. Pick what you like best and a 275 is like a 32 I'm guessing?
Old 10-25-2010, 10:18 PM   #3
JMan551 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJMan551 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJMan551 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJMan551 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJMan551 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJMan551 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJMan551 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJMan551 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJMan551 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJMan551 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJMan551 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
JMan551's Tacoma Gallery
275/70/16 comes to like a 31" tire. That keeps me within factory speedo specs. They don't make a 75 series, which would put me up to 32" and still stay within ~3mph at 65mph. I would like to go into a 32" or 33" tire, but not sure I want to deal with speedo difference and loss in MPH and power.

I basically want to be off road capable, look beefier, but be able to keep my stock settings (power, speedo). I'm still new to the tire specs, trying to learn all I can.

JER
Old 10-25-2010, 10:20 PM   #4
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
is your truck a 4 banger? If not, don't worry about "power loss"...but your MPGs will suffer a little
Old 10-25-2010, 11:24 PM   #6
Señor Member
DriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DriverSound's Tacoma Gallery
BFG's AT come in that size. I've seen them mounted on the Mickey Thompson's that Toyota have as an option. The truck had adjustable coil overs so I'm not sure if it was set to stock or slighty higher but it didn't rub when I drove it.
Old 10-26-2010, 08:51 AM   #7
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Folks basically run in two camps -

1. Pretty much keeping it stock. These folks stay with 265/70R16 or 265/65R17 stock sizes, cause that's what comes from the factory.

2. People going "oversize" and generally looking to move to at least a 32" tire, starting with 265/75R16. These people are the ones asking "what's the biggest I can fit (stock/stock but removing mudflaps/with 5100s/with 3" lift/with 6" lift)"

Your size is kinda in the middle ground. No longer exactly stock. But smaller than any real "oversize" tire. But I noticed tires.com lists 275/70R16 as a tire that will fit tacoma and that they're willing to order and mount on a stock truck.

So yeah, go for it and don't worry about it. The reason it's uncommon is because of the way people think about tires, not because it's a bad idea.
Old 10-26-2010, 08:54 AM   #8
Nothin
krimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shed
krimson's Tacoma Gallery
I wanna see this 275 tire, i've never heard of a tire that comes in a 275....
Old 10-26-2010, 08:57 AM   #9
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by krimson View Post
http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/sea...75&ar=70&rd=16
Old 10-26-2010, 08:58 AM   #10
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by krimson View Post

Your fingers broke?

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSe...r=16&x=39&y=13
Old 10-26-2010, 10:08 AM   #11
Nothin
krimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shed
krimson's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98tacoma27 View Post
It broke off a while ago.
Old 10-26-2010, 10:11 AM   #12
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Old 10-26-2010, 05:04 PM   #13
JMan551's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjmoose View Post
Folks basically run in two camps -
I like starting my own camp!

I did see a couple of posts where people had asked about them, and possibly a couple more where people said they may get them. I think I will go ahead and make this my plan. Assuming I stick with the FJ rims and the BF tires, should make for a very nice look. Not too big, not to small, just the right size in between. Truth be told...it will be more of a road runner than a trail runner. I do want it to be trail capable (more so than stock) because I want to start doing some overlanding, with a final truck style being more expedition looking.

The more research I do into the 275 size, the more I see that people probably do not use them much do to the fact that there are not many options. Luckily the tire I want does!

Here's to individuality!!
(Posted from this user's iPhone)

JER
Old 10-26-2010, 06:10 PM   #14
Señor Member
DriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DriverSound's Tacoma Gallery
I know that size is fairly new to BFG AT's. Maybe a couple of years or less since the first time I saw them was 2009 and like you said, not a lot of manufacturer offer that size.
Old 10-30-2010, 08:20 AM   #16
buddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: 2nd Bomb Wing
buddywh1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMan551 View Post
.... I'm still new to the tire specs, trying to learn all I can.

JER
Run over to tirerack.com They got huge selection of tires, lots of FAQ's and information on tire spec's and what it all means.

Manufacturers make a lot more sizes than are commonly stocked so check out the manufacturer's web pages once you know what you want and the sizes you're interested in.

TireRack.com stocks a lot of the uncommon sizes but if you need to special order smaller tire shops are a big help...those who don't carry inventory anyway. They are more than happy to help and frequently give great deals too since they have next to nothing for store costs.