Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Is the "rusty frame issue" still an issue on the 2nd gens?

Old 10-26-2010, 06:45 AM   #1
Black Sheep is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Sheep is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Sheep is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Sheep is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Sheep is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Sheep is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Sheep is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Sheep is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Sheep is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Sheep is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Sheep is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 6 years PA Army National Guard, 28th Infantry Division, 28th Signal Battalion
Name: Jeff
Black Sheep's Tacoma Gallery
Is the "rusty frame issue" still an issue on the 2nd gens?

I have decided on the auto instead of the 6spd. But now I see the issue with the frames rusting out quickly. I know that Toyota did the "buyback" on the 1st gens for the frame issue. But from what I read, things have not changed for the 2nd gens. Can anyone tell me how they are dealing with this? Would a good rustproofing job work on the frame and underside of the chassis? I am thinking of trying to have the dealer throw in the rustproffing for the deal.
Old 10-26-2010, 06:52 AM   #2
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Sheep View Post
I have decided on the auto instead of the 6spd. But now I see the issue with the frames rusting out quickly. I know that Toyota did the "buyback" on the 1st gens for the frame issue. But from what I read, things have not changed for the 2nd gens. Can anyone tell me how they are dealing with this? Would a good rustproofing job work on the frame and underside of the chassis? I am thinking of trying to have the dealer throw in the rustproffing for the deal.

definitely get it undercoated if you live in a salt area.
Mine looks awful up here in VT & am playing catch up.
Get it done before it rolls off the lot or quickly after.
Old 10-26-2010, 06:55 AM   #3
Machine gun shits
paintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: shithead
paintdiddy's Tacoma Gallery
2nd gens are cursed with rusty frames.i heard of 1 or 2 buy backs on a 2nd gen.i would por15 the frame.