Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Certified Warranty available after 3/36 is up?

Old 10-26-2010, 08:06 PM   #1
brickisred is on a distinguished road

brickisred's Tacoma Gallery
Certified Warranty available after 3/36 is up?

Searching now, but wondered if any one knew offhand how long you have to buy a certified extended warranty? Looking at a 2008 Taco with 37k miles. Comprehensive is up, so wondered if getting a cert. warranty was possible or worthwhile.
Thanks!
Old 10-26-2010, 09:02 PM   #2
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
It is my understanding that if you buy a certified toyota, you can add a certified extended plan beyond the 7/100 powertrain warranty. You must do at time of purchase.
The Toyota Financial Services Website goes over all the plans plus will list the components covered beyond the powertrain.

Its debatable whether or not its worth it. I do not know how much the certified extended plans are. Do you?
Old 10-27-2010, 05:46 AM   #3

Thanks! This truck is not at a Toyota dealer though, and probably not "certified", so I guess I'm out of luck getting an extended warranty on it. Thought you could get those independently after purchase.
Old 10-27-2010, 05:49 AM   #4
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
Bought mine thru Toyota dealer with 48k on it and it came with 7/100 drivetrain at no extra cost.............except for the time lost at the dealer using the damn warranty 4 or 5 times for shitty seals and such but it was free
Old 10-27-2010, 05:51 AM   #5
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by brickisred View Post
Thought you could get those independently after purchase.
This would be correct, just type "Auto Extended warranty" in a search engine. You should find many...be very picky and watch for any stupid loopholes in them covering shit.
Old 10-27-2010, 05:52 AM   #6
whitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
whitebread's Tacoma Gallery
You have to purchase Toyota Financial extended care thing before your factory 3/36k runs out. But don't worry, the extended warranties don't cover a whole lot. They say they cover mechanical failures, but then go on to exclude just about any part under the sun that typically goes bad. You are better off taking the $900, putting it in an interest bearing account, and using that to fix anything that goes bad. Chances are you won't use it all on stuff that would be covered under warranty anyway (that is how they make money). Of course, this is just my opinion and YMMV.
Old 10-27-2010, 06:10 AM   #7
RZRob is one of the sharper tools in the shedRZRob is one of the sharper tools in the shedRZRob is one of the sharper tools in the shedRZRob is one of the sharper tools in the shedRZRob is one of the sharper tools in the shedRZRob is one of the sharper tools in the shedRZRob is one of the sharper tools in the shedRZRob is one of the sharper tools in the shedRZRob is one of the sharper tools in the shedRZRob is one of the sharper tools in the shedRZRob is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert
RZRob's Tacoma Gallery
Totally agree. Just crossed this bridge myself. Bought an '06 recently with 33K miles. I bought the extra warranty (pushed by finance). Yesterday I canceled it because as mentioned and confirmed, truck comes with 7 year/100K drive train. $1700+ got pulled from the back end of the financing. That's 6 months sooner I get to the finish line. It's a Toyota folks.

RZ Rob
Old 10-27-2010, 06:14 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitebread View Post
You have to purchase Toyota Financial extended care thing before your factory 3/36k runs out.
Thanks, that's what I wanted to know. Wouldn't be interested in a third party warranty. I did that once with another truck and it was a waste of money.
Old 11-03-2010, 06:46 AM   #9
Nooby McNooberson
HiggsBoson is on a distinguished road
HiggsBoson's Tacoma Gallery
Is there any 3rd party warranty company that IS worth the money? My 3/36 will be up this year on the truck I just bought, and I was thinking I'd add the extended after I had a bit more cash available. Does anyone here have 1st hand experience with them?
Old 11-03-2010, 07:01 AM   #10
Gregg is on a distinguished road

Name: Gregg
Gregg's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 2010 Tacoma and the powertrain warranty is only 5 years 60,000 miles. Where did 7/100 come from?

Powertrain Warranty
This warranty covers repairs needed to
correct defects in materials or
workmanship of any component listed
below and in the next column and
supplied by Toyota, subject to the
exceptions indicated under “What Is Not
Covered” on pages 13-14.
Coverage is for 60 months or

60,000 miles, whichever occurs first.
Old 11-03-2010, 03:03 PM   #11
There's an evil monkey in my truck
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Evil Monkey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg View Post
I have a 2010 Tacoma and the powertrain warranty is only 5 years 60,000 miles. Where did 7/100 come from?

Powertrain Warranty
This warranty covers repairs needed to
correct defects in materials or
workmanship of any component listed
below and in the next column and
supplied by Toyota, subject to the
exceptions indicated under “What Is Not
Covered” on pages 13-14.
Coverage is for 60 months or

60,000 miles, whichever occurs first.
That's what I thought.
Old 11-03-2010, 03:03 PM   #12
There's an evil monkey in my truck
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Evil Monkey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triad203 View Post
Is there any 3rd party warranty company that IS worth the money? My 3/36 will be up this year on the truck I just bought, and I was thinking I'd add the extended after I had a bit more cash available. Does anyone here have 1st hand experience with them?
You can get the Toyota Platinum warranty on here for a pretty decent price:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...-warranty.html
Old 11-03-2010, 04:30 PM   #13
Taco Jockey
T.J. is just really niceT.J. is just really niceT.J. is just really niceT.J. is just really nice

Navy: served 1989 thru 1992
Name: TJ
T.J.'s Tacoma Gallery
Not sure if it will help you or answer your question, but if you are a member of, or can become a member of a credit union, these typically offer some aftermarket warranties and better interest rates for financing.

I've purchased 3 used vehicles in the past 3+ years with my financing going through my credit union at an average of 2% points LOWER than conventional lending. I've later obtained warranties for each (the first 2 were on used Corvette Z06s -2002 & 2003). I paid $1300 for each with a $50 deductible and everything was covered other than normal wear and tear items. My 2002 Z06 was totaled and I got a full refund of the warranty after 3 weeks of ownership. Bought the 2003 as a replacement and again bought the CU warranty. Two months later the transmission failed to the tune of $4000. I had the no deductible obtion this time and had no problems getting this covered.

Here's the best part...

I owned the 2003 Z06 for 18 months before trading it in for my 2005 Tacoma. I bought the aftermarket warranty thru my CU for $1267, platinum coverage 60/60,000 and no deductible. I'm covered until I pass 100,000 miles! While that's great, the best part was when my CU REFUNDED the 'pro-rated' difference from the Corvette I had covered. I paid $1300 for that a week after I bought the car, made a $4000+ repair claim within a couple months of ownership, and requested a refund, if any, when I traded my Vette in. A month later I saw a credit to my CU account for $1,085.32. Concerned it was an error, I called and confirmed its validity. How can you go wrong? I hope to never need it for my Taco, but i'm set if I do.

The warranty provider my CU offers is called MEMBER'S CHOICE and they're an affiliate of CUNA Mutual Group.
Old 11-03-2010, 09:31 PM   #14
Nooby McNooberson
HiggsBoson is on a distinguished road
HiggsBoson's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Monkey View Post
You can get the Toyota Platinum warranty on here for a pretty decent price:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...-warranty.html
That looks like a sweet deal. I think I'll be getting one for each of our vehicles. Thanks EM.