Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

LSD vs Auto LSD

Old 08-30-2012, 10:29 AM   #41
Milowilli
Milowilli is one of the sharper tools in the shedMilowilli is one of the sharper tools in the shedMilowilli is one of the sharper tools in the shedMilowilli is one of the sharper tools in the shedMilowilli is one of the sharper tools in the shedMilowilli is one of the sharper tools in the shedMilowilli is one of the sharper tools in the shedMilowilli is one of the sharper tools in the shedMilowilli is one of the sharper tools in the shedMilowilli is one of the sharper tools in the shedMilowilli is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Miles
Milowilli's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by David K View Post
Why do you call it crap? You don't even have an '09+ Taco.

I had an '05 before the '10 and can tell you it is like night and day in improved traction.

What a great idea to use the brakes instead of clutches inside the differential, to achieve the same affect... slowing down a non-traction wheel.

It works, it is from Toyota, it is guaranteed.
I guess u didnt read my post below..Auto LSD uses the drum brakes to stop the spinning wheel. In our Application Drum brakes sometimes last one trip in the Jungle before they are totally worn out and need replacing. The road is full of muddy sandy waterholes that eat up drum brakes for lunch!!! Drum brakes operate on the crush and grind principal ..crushing and grinding anything that gets between the liner and drum. Wet drom brakes are useless so no Auto LSD functionality. Disc brakes wipe so they are more reliable and last much longer. And by the way i Built and modified a 2010 Tacoma and drove it in all sorts of conditions and the Mechanical LSD is Far superior. I installed a Mechanical LSD from an 05 into the 2010 with Auto LSD and also converted it to Disc Brakes.
Trucks i build are not weekend warriors..they run into the Jungle several times a week and have to stand up to the severe road conditions. I have been doing this for years so i know what i am talking about..
here is the 2010 build.
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...h-america.html
Old 08-30-2012, 10:53 AM   #42
Milowilli
Milowilli is one of the sharper tools in the shedMilowilli is one of the sharper tools in the shedMilowilli is one of the sharper tools in the shedMilowilli is one of the sharper tools in the shedMilowilli is one of the sharper tools in the shedMilowilli is one of the sharper tools in the shedMilowilli is one of the sharper tools in the shedMilowilli is one of the sharper tools in the shedMilowilli is one of the sharper tools in the shedMilowilli is one of the sharper tools in the shedMilowilli is one of the sharper tools in the shed
http://pgh-offroad.com/forum/showthr...brakes-mud.-.-.

http://forums.off-road.com/jeep-shor...-dont-mix.html
http://books.google.com/books?id=X95...%20mud&f=false

Following are typical pros & cons for both disc and drum brakes:

Drums
Pro - Less expensive since they're already stock on Broncos
Pro - Drums work better then discs as emergency brakes
Con - They stop poorly when wet and can get clogged with mud
Con - Stopping power can fade with repeated hard braking
Con - Larger tires

Discs
Pro - More consistant, straight line stopping power
Pro - Dissipate heat better to stay cooler
Pro - Less affected by water or mud
Pro - Easier to maintain and faster to replace pads then shoes
Con - More expensive to install (but maintenance costs should be less)

Most people will agree that discs are better than drums. However, stock drum brakes can be effective if they're in good working order and properly adjusted. Typically when people upgrade to disc brakes they're replacing worn out drums, so they see a vast improvement and are quick to credit their new disc brakes. Just keep in mind that when someone raves about their new disc setup some of it is due to simply having new parts. *
Old 08-30-2012, 11:22 AM   #43
Milowilli
I shouldn't realy bash Auto LSD but for hardcore Toyota users like me it's not the way to go sorry!!

Old 08-30-2012, 11:26 AM   #44
Power Top
MonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: K9 Handler
MonkeyProof's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to MonkeyProof Send a message via Skype™ to MonkeyProof
I hate mud
Old 08-30-2012, 11:52 AM   #45
Milowilli
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyProof View Post
I hate mud
Haaa where we drive it's a way of life if you want to get to your destination!!
Old 08-30-2012, 11:02 PM   #46
JKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JKD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearheadesw View Post
In 4 hi with low traction available, the power is cut in the engine. Going up deep sand hills with the pedal floored, first gear, searching for traction, then... buurr, revs come down power decreases forward momentum stops. No tire spin no nothing. Back up turn off all nannies, zing right up the hill we go. Tell me how that system works great.
Mine is 2wd, so I know the system works a bit differently, but...why would you be in sand or mud with TRAC on, when you could have A-LSD?
Old 08-31-2012, 12:35 PM   #47
Banned
shemp is a splendid one to beholdshemp is a splendid one to beholdshemp is a splendid one to beholdshemp is a splendid one to beholdshemp is a splendid one to beholdshemp is a splendid one to beholdshemp is a splendid one to behold
shemp's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milowilli View Post
Imagine Auto LSD in this mess...that is abrasive muddy clay ..it eats drum brakes for lunch and dinner!!!
Quote:
I shouldn't realy bash Auto LSD but for hardcore Toyota users like me it's not the way to go sorry!!

... right.
I don't think your truck is intended for that kind of use. You might be better off with one of these;
Old 08-31-2012, 03:35 PM   #49
Milowilli
Quote:
Originally Posted by shemp View Post
... right.
I don't think your truck is intended for that kind of use. You might be better off with one of these;
Naaa the Toyotas are great!!! Only vehicle type that stands up to the abuse!!
Old 10-27-2012, 10:28 AM   #50
mtcarrio is on a distinguished road
mtcarrio's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by David K View Post
ONLY IN 2WD TRAC, NOT IN 2WD AUTO LSD and NOT IN 4WD.

(you see friends, even though this information has been posted by me for a year and many others, people still don't know how it works)

This used to be my signature... It is the 9 drive modes we '09+ Off Road 4WD Tacomas have:

1) 2WD: VSC and TRAC active, engine regulated ('Limited Slip Lite').

2) 2WD: 'AUTO LSD' ('TRAC OFF MODE'). No engine regulation for 'strong' limited slip.

3) 2WD: 'VSC OFF MODE' (TRAC is off for 'open differential').

4) 4WD-Hi: VSC and TRAC active. No engine regulation for 'strong' limited slip.

5) 4WD-Hi: 'VSC OFF MODE' (TRAC is off for 'open differentials').

6) 4WD-Lo: VSC and TRAC are both off in L4 ('open differentials').

7) 4WD-Lo: 'A-TRAC' on gives a 'locker-like, super strong' limited slip, front and rear.

8) 4WD-Lo: Rear Differential Locked and open front differential (A-TRAC off).

9) 4WD-Lo: RR DIFF LOCK + A-TRAC on, 3 MPH limit.

Only the Off Road 4WD Tacomas have a hydraulic brake booster (for the A-TRAC system).

Now, the 2WD Tacomas have modes 1-3 and the Off Road 2WD Tacomas have 1-3 + a locking rear differential.

The 4WD non-Off Road Tacomas have modes 1-6.

Hey do you know the break down for a 2007 4WD Sport?

I have the mechanical LSD and A-TRAC, i dont know??
Old 12-24-2013, 08:32 PM   #51
Milowilli
We have a 2011 truck with both Auto and mechanical LSD installed as the Auto LSD eats rear brakes in less than a month.
Old 12-24-2013, 09:32 PM   #52
Luis1 is on a distinguished road
Law Enforcement:
Luis1's Tacoma Gallery
ok so I have a 13 sport 4x4. in 4hi is the engine retarder on with trac on and then is turned off when the vsc button is pushed or is it off automatically when i put it into 4 hi. I know the '12's have this design, but what about the 13's?
Old 12-25-2013, 06:07 AM   #53
Jimsc is a jewel in the roughJimsc is a jewel in the roughJimsc is a jewel in the roughJimsc is a jewel in the rough
Name: Jim
Jimsc's Tacoma Gallery
I had a mechanical LSD on my Dakota. The Toyota brake system is much better than mechanical. With mechanical both wheels must have traction in order for it to work. With Auto LSD the wheel with traction will get you moving even if the other wheel is spinning.

Stick with what you have.
Old 12-25-2013, 06:10 AM   #54
Jimsc is a jewel in the roughJimsc is a jewel in the roughJimsc is a jewel in the roughJimsc is a jewel in the rough
Name: Jim
Jimsc's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
We have a 2011 truck with both Auto and mechanical LSD installed as the Auto LSD eats rear brakes in less than a month.
What??? You can't be serious. Toyota would never design a system that would do that.
Old 12-25-2013, 07:35 AM   #55
Manic Mechanic
Hugh Morron is a jewel in the roughHugh Morron is a jewel in the roughHugh Morron is a jewel in the rough

Name: Bill
Hugh Morron's Tacoma Gallery
Mech. LSD is a proactive traction control system. It provides power to both rear wheels before you lose traction. Auto. LSD is a reactive traction control system. It only operates after you lose traction, until then you only have one wheel drive. If I had a choice I would take the MLSD any day.
Old 12-25-2013, 02:30 PM   #56
BlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BlueT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimsc View Post
I had a mechanical LSD on my Dakota. The Toyota brake system is much better than mechanical. With mechanical both wheels must have traction in order for it to work. With Auto LSD the wheel with traction will get you moving even if the other wheel is spinning.

Stick with what you have.
You are half correct. Your Dakota had Truetrac, which indeed does have a problem when one wheel completely loses traction. However, Toyota used Hino LSD which works more like lock right, except it does not fully lock axle. Apples and Oranges.
Old 12-26-2013, 08:20 AM   #57
Milowilli
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimsc View Post
What??? You can't be serious. Toyota would never design a system that would do that.
Yes I am correct..the sandy mud Eats rear brakes in less than a month. I am talking about Guyana South America..extreme conditions. When the brakes are wet and worn out...no AuTO LSD!!!!