1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Halo LED Projectors?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by BullKnob, Jul 27, 2008.

1. Jul 27, 2008 at 12:01 PM
    BullKnob

BullKnob [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    08 Sport
    30' M/T Toyo Tires, 3" Tuff Country lift, Kenwood iPod adapter,Kenwood 7" sliding DvD player.
  2. Jul 27, 2008 at 3:00 PM
    humanoid

humanoid bite me

Member:
    Sunny SoCal
    Vehicle:
    I had a '99 Xtra Cab PreRunner SR5 V6
    So how do you want them to perform? Please explain....

3. Jul 27, 2008 at 4:34 PM
    BullKnob

Member:
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    08 Sport
    30' M/T Toyo Tires, 3" Tuff Country lift, Kenwood iPod adapter,Kenwood 7" sliding DvD player.
    I just want them to work I guess I read a forum on a different brand but basically the same thing about this guys wasn't very bright at all, I mean he said he couldn't even drive at night they were so dim.

4. Jul 27, 2008 at 4:53 PM
    humanoid

humanoid bite me

Member:
    Sunny SoCal
    Vehicle:
    I had a '99 Xtra Cab PreRunner SR5 V6
    ^ well, that's a chance you take with some aftermarket parts. Hopefully someone who has used them will chime in for you.

5. Jul 28, 2008 at 5:58 AM
    camsbored

camsbored Well-Known Member

Member:
    Raleigh, NC
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner DC/Sport/LB
    Kenwood DNX8120, Homelink mirror, Valentine One hardwire
    I bought some Halo projectors for my previous car and the bulbs that came with them were absolutely horrible, making the beam extremely dim. The headlights themselves were of adequate quality though, so it wasn't a problem. The whole reason I bought projectors was for HIDs so once I popped those in all was good. I assume since you're getting these that you're going to get a HID kit too? If so then no worries.

6. Jul 28, 2008 at 9:25 AM
    mr.trd

mr.trd Are you Recreationally Insane?

Member:
    First Name:
    Brant
    Pocatello, Idaho
    Vehicle:
    '06 S/C 1GR-FE DCSB
    Icon coilovers w 14" 700lb springs, Icon billet UCA w/ Delta joints, custom built Icon rear resi-shocks, Icon stage 3 rear leaf pack, Archive Garage Hammer Hangers w/ homemade spreader bar, superbumps up front and timbren bumps in the rear, Crown brake lines, U-bolt flip,4.88's with front ARB locker and ARB dual compressor mounted behind back seat, 285/75R17 BFG A/T KO2's on Bronze Icon Alloy Compression's, 5th gen T4R budget big brake kit, CBI Off-Road Fab. custom Trailmaster 2.0 with swing-away tire carrier, CBI custom tube front bumper, CBI kickout sliders, CBI full flat belly skids including gas tank,CBI Ditch Light brackets w/ Heretic Studio Quattro's, Heretic Studio's 30" Amber on the front, Heretic Studio 40" bar under the Front Runner Roof Rack, Expedition Essentials RAM mount, Leer used shell, OEM black chrome sport headlights, fog lights always on mod, rear locker anytime mod, TRD supercharger, URD Ucon-EMS, Deatschwerks 255 fuel pump w/ URD external fuel filter kit, AFE intake paired to a Safari Snorkel, URD spec-U exhaust w/ factory Tundra muffler behind URD equal length headers.
    Angel Eyes or Halo's belong on BMW's, Leave them there... It is flattering that you want to resemble such nice cars, but please. You will never be mistaken for a bimmer....

7. Jul 28, 2008 at 9:30 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Yeah...You are going to want to rock a set of HID bulbs with that set up. That light frame is designed to complement the HID light pattern- so if you put the right bulbs in it-Should be great

I kinda agree with Mr TRD- I'm not a fan of how they look....but it's your Taco....Put what you want on it!!

8. Jul 28, 2008 at 9:32 AM
    camsbored

Member:
    Raleigh, NC
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner DC/Sport/LB
    Halo is a brand that manufactures headlight assemblies... True, some of them do have crappy-looking angel eye knock offs (as in this case :( ), but they sell several models that are simply projector housings too. It's also easy to disable the CCFL rings so you can still use the headlights if you like the look but not the rings (which is what I did).

You're right though, angel eyes belong on BMWs, not elsewhere.

9. Jul 28, 2008 at 11:58 AM
    BullKnob

Member:
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    08 Sport
    I was looking at the HIDs but I was wondering if I would have to buy the whole kit $300+ or if the headlight would support just the bulbs which would obviously be a lot cheaper,

10. Jul 28, 2008 at 12:08 PM
    camsbored

Member:
    Raleigh, NC
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner DC/Sport/LB
    You'll need the whole kit. HID bulbs require a ballast which is essentially all the kit includes. Since HIDs don't give off light from a glowing filament but rather an electrical arc through a gas they require 10,000 volts+, hence the ballast. Sorry!

Alternatively you may get a set of standard incandescent laps that fit the housing and use those for a while before splurging on the HIDs.

11. Jul 28, 2008 at 12:40 PM
    BullKnob

Member:
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    08 Sport
    Its all good bro thanks for the input

12. Jul 28, 2008 at 1:18 PM
    mr.trd

mr.trd Are you Recreationally Insane?

Member:
    First Name:
    Brant
    Pocatello, Idaho
    Vehicle:
    '06 S/C 1GR-FE DCSB
    Icon coilovers w 14" 700lb springs, Icon billet UCA w/ Delta joints, custom built Icon rear resi-shocks, Icon stage 3 rear leaf pack, Archive Garage Hammer Hangers w/ homemade spreader bar, superbumps up front and timbren bumps in the rear, Crown brake lines, U-bolt flip,4.88's with front ARB locker and ARB dual compressor mounted behind back seat, 285/75R17 BFG A/T KO2's on Bronze Icon Alloy Compression's, 5th gen T4R budget big brake kit, CBI Off-Road Fab. custom Trailmaster 2.0 with swing-away tire carrier, CBI custom tube front bumper, CBI kickout sliders, CBI full flat belly skids including gas tank,CBI Ditch Light brackets w/ Heretic Studio Quattro's, Heretic Studio's 30" Amber on the front, Heretic Studio 40" bar under the Front Runner Roof Rack, Expedition Essentials RAM mount, Leer used shell, OEM black chrome sport headlights, fog lights always on mod, rear locker anytime mod, TRD supercharger, URD Ucon-EMS, Deatschwerks 255 fuel pump w/ URD external fuel filter kit, AFE intake paired to a Safari Snorkel, URD spec-U exhaust w/ factory Tundra muffler behind URD equal length headers.
    If you really just want the light output, the 2nd gen taco housings work great with just a HID upgrade.... I know of a place you can get a bi-xenon setup for our trucks for $175 with a lifetime warranty. This weekend we are putting the new 50W HID kit in my brothers C230 sport with black housing projectors. And to let you know how dead set I am about angel eyes in other cars, I told him, if he bought housings with them in, I wouldn't help, and he can't do it himself. And actually I think I am pushing the envelope myself since it is a E36, but it is still a bimmer and I bought the european housings......

l_ea958abfa55df86a401f45891767e843_7d7aa07824129b463fae68c96da658385d685888.png

But like the other guys said...it is your truck, do with it what you want....but I will cuss you!!!!!!

13. Jul 28, 2008 at 1:23 PM
    camsbored

Member:
    Raleigh, NC
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner DC/Sport/LB
    To me anything older than an E39 or E90 looks odd with angel eyes... maybe it's the florescent color.

14. Jul 28, 2008 at 1:35 PM
    BullKnob

Member:
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    08 Sport
    Honestly I could less about the rings I just like how the little bastards look. I saw a taco with almost the same set up and it looked pretty tits

Products Discussed in

To Top