Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Does the manual trans?

Old 10-27-2010, 06:42 PM   #1
m4dm4x is on a distinguished road
m4dm4x's Tacoma Gallery
Does the manual trans?

Does the 6sp trans with the tow package come with the trans cooler like the autos?
Old 10-27-2010, 06:45 PM   #4
Roll Tide
HondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: James
HondaGM's Tacoma Gallery
no,only on automatics
Old 10-27-2010, 06:48 PM   #5
m4dm4x's Tacoma Gallery
That's what I thought, I wonder If it's reflected in the price? Thanks for the quick response
Old 10-27-2010, 06:55 PM   #7
Señor Member
DriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DriverSound's Tacoma Gallery
A stick shift should be cheaper by at least $700. BTW, I believe the coolers only come on V6 auto's and not the I4.
Old 10-27-2010, 07:49 PM   #8
Mr.Tacoma is on a distinguished road

Mr.Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
trans-cooler

Does it mean that MT does not heat up when towing 6500 lbs..???
Old 10-27-2010, 07:53 PM   #9
ouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Royal Canadian Air Force: Mobile Support Equipment Operator
Name: Ryan
ouyin2000's Tacoma Gallery
I'm quite sure that it would! But you have the option to disengage it with the clutch and just use your brakes, to give the transmission a break.
Old 10-27-2010, 11:54 PM   #10
trd09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chuck
trd09's Tacoma Gallery
no need to cool a manual tranny. the torque converter is what produces the heat (or at least 90% of it) and of course, they do not exist with manuals.

some exceptional applications (rally cars and the like) sometimes have them. fwiw, the bugatti veyron has 10 radiators
Old 10-28-2010, 12:43 AM   #11
Living the dream !!!
mountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shed

mountainwolfpup's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to mountainwolfpup Send a message via Yahoo to mountainwolfpup Send a message via Skype™ to mountainwolfpup
Yes, the extra cooler is for the auto transmission. And BTW it is ill-advisied to tow in Drive where the torque converter is involved, better to use direct-drive in 4th gear. I always tow in 4th (that is what the owners manual instructs). A bit lower gas MPG but much healthier for your transmission.

For the manual transmission I'd avoid towing heavy loads frequently - my understanding is that the manual is less capable as a towing rig. The clutch will wear excessively, and the brakes, and even the gearbox may be damaged with long-haul and/or frequent tows. Getting electric trailer brakes and a controller will help, and some smart shifting.

I wasn't aware Toyota even offered the factory towing package on the manual transmission models?
Old 10-28-2010, 12:47 AM   #12
Cuz Stock Sucks
amaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Alex
amaes's Tacoma Gallery
They make heavy duty clutches for towing often with a manual.
Old 10-28-2010, 01:33 AM   #14
JKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JKD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEEFY_CHEESY_TACO View Post
My 6spd DOES. one of the first things I looked for when I went to pick it up!
Your 6spd manual transmission has a transmission fluid cooler?
Old 10-28-2010, 02:04 AM   #15
Black Sand Mirror
808TRDTaco10 has much to be proud of808TRDTaco10 has much to be proud of808TRDTaco10 has much to be proud of808TRDTaco10 has much to be proud of808TRDTaco10 has much to be proud of808TRDTaco10 has much to be proud of808TRDTaco10 has much to be proud of808TRDTaco10 has much to be proud of808TRDTaco10 has much to be proud of808TRDTaco10 has much to be proud of

Name: Justin
808TRDTaco10's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEEFY_CHEESY_TACO View Post
My 6spd DOES. one of the first things I looked for when I went to pick it up!
Maybe what you saw was a supplemental engine oil cooler? It was my understanding when I got mine that all trucks with the tow package have 'em too.
Old 10-28-2010, 03:55 AM   #16
84Hilux is one of the sharper tools in the shed84Hilux is one of the sharper tools in the shed84Hilux is one of the sharper tools in the shed84Hilux is one of the sharper tools in the shed84Hilux is one of the sharper tools in the shed84Hilux is one of the sharper tools in the shed84Hilux is one of the sharper tools in the shed84Hilux is one of the sharper tools in the shed84Hilux is one of the sharper tools in the shed84Hilux is one of the sharper tools in the shed84Hilux is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gary
84Hilux's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah, the manuals come with the oil cooler, but not the transmission cooler. The oil cooler is the unit that looks like a tuna fish can that sits right under the oil filter.
Old 10-28-2010, 05:21 AM   #17
m4dm4x's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainwolfpup View Post
Yes, the extra cooler is for the auto transmission. And BTW it is ill-advisied to tow in Drive where the torque converter is involved, better to use direct-drive in 4th gear. I always tow in 4th (that is what the owners manual instructs). A bit lower gas MPG but much healthier for your transmission.

For the manual transmission I'd avoid towing heavy loads frequently - my understanding is that the manual is less capable as a towing rig. The clutch will wear excessively, and the brakes, and even the gearbox may be damaged with long-haul and/or frequent tows. Getting electric trailer brakes and a controller will help, and some smart shifting.

I wasn't aware Toyota even offered the factory towing package on the manual transmission models?
Not to go against you but manual trucks were the only ones that towed back in the day and they had no issues doing it. Every tractor on the farm we owned was a manual and they towed everyday for years on end pulling heavy loads. Never in my time did I ever see an auto tractor, maybe now they have them but not then.
Old 10-28-2010, 06:08 AM   #18
If You Search...You Shall Find.
uood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Uniform / Marked Patrol
uood8's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainwolfpup View Post

What transmission do you think semi trucks have in them? It wasn't until about 10 years ago an automatic was even available....even now they are few and far between, normally reserved for fleet vehicles and box trucks.
Old 10-28-2010, 06:13 AM   #19
rwilso03 has a spectacular aura aboutrwilso03 has a spectacular aura aboutrwilso03 has a spectacular aura about
Air Force: USAFA - Class of 2011
Name: Russ
rwilso03's Tacoma Gallery
My 6 spd also had it listed on the sticker when I bought it. Plus it does have the 2nd radiator in front of the main one.
Old 10-28-2010, 06:56 AM   #20
m4dm4x's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwilso03 View Post
My 6 spd also had it listed on the sticker when I bought it. Plus it does have the 2nd radiator in front of the main one.
I also thought it was listed on the sticker and I just checked my truck and mine has the 2nd radiator. Do you have a pic of the actual vehicle sticker or does anyone(the manual one not auto)?