Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Squeaky front brakes 2009 dcab 4x4

Old 10-28-2010, 06:18 AM   #1
douggytundra will become famous soon enoughdouggytundra will become famous soon enough

douggytundra's Tacoma Gallery
Squeaky front brakes 2009 dcab 4x4

My 09 dcab has noisy front brakes. I have 14k and they are squeaky at slow stops. I have had it to toyota 2 times already and they can't figure it out and now they tell me this is normal.... This is my 3rd gen 2 and I have had 2 gen 1's without this problem. So they are just full of shiz.... Any ideas.....
Old 10-28-2010, 08:15 AM   #2
Lurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lurkin's Tacoma Gallery
My 09 is at 12k and is doing the same thing. I have not taken it in though. What has Toyota done so far?
Old 10-28-2010, 08:16 AM   #3
Nothin
krimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shed
krimson's Tacoma Gallery
I got 27k and mine started to do that.
Old 10-28-2010, 08:19 AM   #4
douggytundra will become famous soon enoughdouggytundra will become famous soon enough

They first resurfaced the rotors than they adjusted the rear brakes. None of these things worked. I am wondering if the pads should be replaced...
Old 10-28-2010, 08:27 AM   #5
PB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Patrick
PB65stang's Tacoma Gallery
Join the club. My '09 front brakes squealed in the same situation (slow, rolling stops especially), so at 35k I changed the pads with high performance, no-squeak ceramics. The old pads still looked brand new, by the way. No luck, same exact thing still happens. I think it's just a characteristic of the truck.
Old 10-28-2010, 08:35 AM   #6
newbtacoma is on a distinguished road
newbtacoma's Tacoma Gallery
My wife's 2007 murano has this problem - I have replaced the rotors and pads 2 different times, only for the problem to come back about 2000 miles later.
Old 10-28-2010, 08:46 AM   #7
Lurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lurkin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by douggytundra View Post
They first resurfaced the rotors than they adjusted the rear brakes. None of these things worked. I am wondering if the pads should be replaced...
That should be the next step. Normally the squealing is due to the pad vibrating in the caliper. So checking the springs/retainers, lubing the slides, adding anti-squeal compound to the pad backs, and cleaning the calipers will "normally" work. This is what I would expect Toyota to do first. Squealing IS NOT normal, don't let them use this.

That being said, my wife's 02 Mazda Tribute developed this squealing a couple year into ownership. I tried everything I could think of, all the above plus different pad types, re-surface the rotors, then replace the rotors. Squealing always came back. On my previous truck, 02 Dakota, it started squealing, I replaced the pads, it went away, quick and easy.
Old 10-28-2010, 08:56 AM   #8
CopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Maximum Security Correctional Officer
Name: Matt
CopDoctor's Tacoma Gallery
eh, pretty normal. wait til you go wheeling with a bunch of tacomas, all you hear is the same exact squeak lol
Old 10-28-2010, 11:43 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurkin View Post
That should be the next step. Normally the squealing is due to the pad vibrating in the caliper. So checking the springs/retainers, lubing the slides, adding anti-squeal compound to the pad backs, and cleaning the calipers will "normally" work. This is what I would expect Toyota to do first. Squealing IS NOT normal, don't let them use this.

That being said, my wife's 02 Mazda Tribute developed this squealing a couple year into ownership. I tried everything I could think of, all the above plus different pad types, re-surface the rotors, then replace the rotors. Squealing always came back. On my previous truck, 02 Dakota, it started squealing, I replaced the pads, it went away, quick and easy.
Oh no I am on them like white on rice..Like I said I have owned 1995,2003,2005,2006 taco's and never heard this. I have also owned 2-2005's and a 2006 tundra and my wife has a 2006 4runner and nothing like my 09.
Old 02-21-2011, 04:40 PM   #11
jmoreau is on a distinguished road

Army: Track Commander, M113 "Miclic"
Name: Josh
jmoreau's Tacoma Gallery
Has there been any solutions to this? My '11 Taco is doing it at 7K miles. Pretty embarrassing b/c it still looks brand new but sounds like crap!
Old 02-21-2011, 04:47 PM   #12

They had it for 8 hours and replaced all the pads and shoes and lubed everything all over again. Now toyota is involved and they are checking it out. It has been fine until just recently when I heard it again leaving my driveway last week. Hope it is just a fluke but we will see..

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoreau View Post
Has there been any solutions to this? My '11 Taco is doing it at 7K miles. Pretty embarrassing b/c it still looks brand new but sounds like crap!
Old 02-21-2011, 04:50 PM   #13
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Metallic composite pads (like the factory ones on the Tacos) just do this sometimes. It's normal. I ignore it.
Old 04-25-2011, 08:51 AM   #14
jmoreau is on a distinguished road

Army: Track Commander, M113 "Miclic"
Name: Josh
jmoreau's Tacoma Gallery
I took mine to the Toyota dealer at 7K miles, and they finally said they had to "remove foreign matter" from the rear brakes. Two days later the squeak was back. I brought it in over the weekend for my 10K oil change and tire rotation and told them it never stopped. I also mentioned that a lot of people say theirs does it and Toyota can't figure out the problem (along with how embarrasing it is to have a new truck squeaking like that in traffic). They said they looked at it again and said they'll have to order some "special parts". I hope that means aftermarket pads or something totally different than stock. Should be in later this week, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they can fix it.
Old 04-25-2011, 08:56 AM   #15
DevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DevL's Tacoma Gallery
The issue is that the pad compound toyota uses is geared toward longevity and not being quiet. The solution is a ceramic brake compound... this changes the steel brake pad component to copper and stops squeal. Taking it to toyota will never solve your problem.

Brake squeal absolutely normal on the tacoma don't let anyone tell you different. The rear drums will groan horribly off road as well... again due to the compound that is used. Solution... ceramic shoe compound.