Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Decrease in mileage w/ A/T tires?

Old 10-28-2010, 07:01 AM   #1
PB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Patrick
PB65stang's Tacoma Gallery
Decrease in mileage w/ A/T tires?

First off, no flaming. I did searches for "fuel economy" and "A/T" in all kinds of variations, but there's so many damn threads it's impossible to find what you want.

What I want to know is if anyone with a STOCK (non-lifted) truck noticed a substantial decrease in mileage when they went to A/T tires from, for instance, the Duelers that came on my Sport. The truck is not lifted, will not be lifted, and I'm not even going to do the ever popular 265/70 instead of 265/65. I'm not a hypermiler, but I drive 40k a year, and if I don't get 20 mpg out of my truck each tank, I'm not happy (best ever is 23). If the A/Ts will decrease mileage substantially. If they do, I'll stick to the H/T tires. Thanks guys.
Old 10-28-2010, 07:17 AM   #2
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
You might see a slight drop in mileage but it shouldn't be substantial (although it's a very relative term). A heavier tire (higher load range) may cause a decrease so if you go to an A/T and a heavier load range you could see a little bit of a drop 1-2 mpg tops. If you drive that much and are that concerned about mpg's, you're better off with an H/T tire. They'll wear better, be quieter on the road and give you better fuel economy.
Old 10-28-2010, 07:21 AM   #3
PB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Patrick
PB65stang's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah I was already planning on H/Ts, but was hoping I could pull off A/Ts. 99% of my driving is on road, and the other 1% is camping trails, etc. I'm sure good H/Ts could get me through any of that.
Old 10-28-2010, 07:25 AM   #4
For the Retards, Im a Female
ToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kristin
ToyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to ToyTaco
i have A/T's and havent seen a real big difference in the gas mileage of the truck
Old 10-28-2010, 07:35 AM   #5
MAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MAXTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
After my stock tires were replaced with all-terrain tires, I notices about a 1-2 decrease in MPG. I replaced my tires with Pirelli Scorpion ATR.
Old 10-28-2010, 07:43 AM   #6
Fuuaaaaaaa!!
tecate12 is a name known to alltecate12 is a name known to alltecate12 is a name known to alltecate12 is a name known to alltecate12 is a name known to alltecate12 is a name known to all

Name: Martin
tecate12's Tacoma Gallery
Yup one or two mpg drop aswell... Then an extra one or two now on muds but they sure do handle themselves good wen you get off the pavement... And of Look way better too.
Old 10-28-2010, 07:44 AM   #7
Living vicariously through everybody
derekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TW'S Hippy Liberal
derekabraham's Tacoma Gallery
It also depends on how you drive.
Old 10-28-2010, 07:50 AM   #8
JasonJump is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasonJump is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasonJump is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasonJump is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasonJump is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasonJump is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasonJump is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasonJump is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasonJump is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasonJump is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasonJump is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
JasonJump's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PB65stang View Post
Yeah I was already planning on H/Ts, but was hoping I could pull off A/Ts. 99% of my driving is on road, and the other 1% is camping trails, etc. I'm sure good H/Ts could get me through any of that.
I had an exact issue with this, I went from the 265/65/17 HT's to 265/70/17 AT's and lost a lot of mpg's.... I was averaging 400 miles a tank on hwy and 350ish in town. now I am very lucky to get close to 300 miles a tank, average more like 250-275 now . After that I personally believe tires are a HUGE issue with MPG's you will lose more than you want. It happend to me just a heads up!
Old 10-28-2010, 10:40 AM   #9
Workman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWorkman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWorkman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWorkman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWorkman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWorkman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWorkman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWorkman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWorkman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWorkman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWorkman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Workman's Tacoma Gallery
I am stock (leer cap as well), access cab, 4x4offroad, v6, and run 265/70/16 Big O AT's, I believe they are a 6-ply tire. I still get awesome MPG with these tires
Old 10-28-2010, 10:42 AM   #10
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oliver
08pretaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonJump View Post
I had an exact issue with this, I went from the 265/65/17 HT's to 265/70/17 AT's and lost a lot of mpg's.... I was averaging 400 miles a tank on hwy and 350ish in town. now I am very lucky to get close to 300 miles a tank, average more like 250-275 now . After that I personally believe tires are a HUGE issue with MPG's you will lose more than you want. It happend to me just a heads up!
You might have lost because you went to a slightly larger tire = more weight = more rotational mass. What tire did you go with? Some tires weigh a shit ton!
Old 10-28-2010, 10:56 AM   #12
carolinatlc is on a distinguished road
carolinatlc's Tacoma Gallery
I have the Michelin AT2's and did not notice a drop in mileage with them. I have around 70k on those tires and have a good 15-20k tread left. They have been excellent.
Old 10-28-2010, 10:58 AM   #13
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinatlc View Post
I have the Michelin AT2's and did not notice a drop in mileage with them. I have around 70k on those tires and have a good 15-20k tread left. They have been excellent.
I could never stick with 1 set of tires for that long, i get board of them after about 15k miles lol
Old 10-28-2010, 10:59 AM   #14
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
You also have to take into consideration that the beefier the tire the more force it takes to rotate it...that alone will hurt your MPGs
Old 10-28-2010, 11:08 AM   #15
topgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zack
topgun155's Tacoma Gallery
I went frrom stock to 265/75/16 Duratracs. I don't think that it was a noticeable drop. Maybe 1mpg. But well worth it IMO. If you drive right you probably wont notice it at all.
Old 10-28-2010, 11:10 AM   #16
Almost there

^ thats kind of a suprise! Arent the duratracs heavy?
Old 10-28-2010, 11:15 AM   #17
rab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ross
rab89's Tacoma Gallery
your obviously not interested in the lift and big tires idea, so stick with the HT
Comfort, quieter, probably a bit better mpg, and tread life.... also, you have a 4x4. even with H/T tires you'll do fine on camping roads.
Old 10-28-2010, 11:20 AM   #18
JasonJump is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasonJump is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasonJump is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasonJump is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasonJump is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasonJump is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasonJump is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasonJump is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasonJump is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasonJump is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasonJump is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
JasonJump's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08pretaco View Post
You might have lost because you went to a slightly larger tire = more weight = more rotational mass. What tire did you go with? Some tires weigh a shit ton!
I went with the Dueler AT's ..... are they a heavy tire? It was a substantial drop in MPG's Kinda pissed me off, I think if I stuck with an AT tire next go around it would be the Michies. Also are they heavy? Thanks
Old 10-28-2010, 11:22 AM   #19
tuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
tuckr2's Tacoma Gallery
Cool

I think you can believe anyone who has said they had a drop in mileage. Heavier, larger diameter tires are going to have some effect. If you lost 1 mpg and gained ride and traction, that for me anyway would be the determining factor. That is unless maybe you live in a nice warm climate with no inclement weather, then you wouldn't require any different tire.

The biggest thing I noticed with my stock tires is the ability to easily spin when throttle is applied in all but the lightest touch. Those tires are gone and BFG AT's are on the rig now. Even in the load rage D they are substantially heavier and a loss of mpg around town of 1-2 mpg (16+ down to around 15 mpg) is what I see now. Other tires with the same rough diameter and lighter weight would likely change the outcome.
Just my thoughts.
ken
Old 10-28-2010, 12:11 PM   #20
Almost there

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonJump View Post
I went with the Dueler AT's ..... are they a heavy tire? It was a substantial drop in MPG's Kinda pissed me off, I think if I stuck with an AT tire next go around it would be the Michies. Also are they heavy? Thanks
E load tire that weighs in at 46 lbs.

Stock dunlops rugged fails weigh in at 32 lbs. So over stock your rotating 56 more lbs...Do you have stock wheels?

Edit noticed you have pro comps...those have gotta add some rotational weight as well. Dont know how much though