Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

4WD question & jack question

Old 10-28-2010, 07:13 AM   #1
2007tacoOldLineSt will become famous soon enough2007tacoOldLineSt will become famous soon enough
2007tacoOldLineSt's Tacoma Gallery
4WD question & jack question

Rather than clutter up the forum I figured I would try and post these two questions together...

1 ) I engaged my 4WD today ( 4WD HI ) and noticed that when I crank the wheels all the way to one side the wheels lock and the truck won't roll. I was turning into my parking spot behind my house which requires me to turn the wheels as far as possible in one direction. I would assume this is normal, but figured I would bounce it off some more knowledgeable folks.

2 ) Is the stock jack sh*tty or is it me? The first time I tried to rotate my tires I could barely get the front end high enough to get the tire off. I saw some decent looking jacks at Lowes, any thoughts or recommendations?

Thanks...
Old 10-28-2010, 07:19 AM   #2
davidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: David
davidpick's Tacoma Gallery
as far as your second question, keep in mind that you get what you pay for. buy the best jack you can feasibly and responsibly afford. check out sears -- i didn't have much to spend on my jack and stands (definitely make sure you get a set of stands too!), but i got a 3.5 ton floor jack with a 21-inch lift and two 3-ton jackstands for $100 (on sale) at sears about 2-3 months ago... sears always has something on sale...
Old 10-28-2010, 07:22 AM   #3
ktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ktmrider's Tacoma Gallery
dont use 4wd on pavement!! read the instructions in the front visor
Old 10-28-2010, 07:22 AM   #4
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
I'll let someone else chime in on your first issue. I've never had a problem with the factory jack. I've been able to get the tires off the ground enough to get them off without an issue. I wouldn't leave it supporting the truck though (ie back end on jack stand, front on the jack). I'd use it to jack it up enough to put the stands and and that's it. Keep in mind this is an emergency jack. The floor jacks you can buy, say at Sears, will be much easier to use and are built for holding up the vehicle long enough to work on it.
Old 10-28-2010, 07:28 AM   #5
Stay lifted my friends !
Wattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedWattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedWattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedWattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedWattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedWattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedWattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedWattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedWattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedWattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedWattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Uncle K
Wattapunk's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmrider View Post
x2..
Old 10-28-2010, 07:32 AM   #6
The Stroker Ace
hendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff
hendooman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wattapunk View Post
x2..
x50, you are putting a lot of strain on your front end on dry pavement at full lock....
Old 10-28-2010, 07:49 AM   #7
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
1) Some other folks have covered. Too much grip means the tires can't slip to move at different speeds...and thens tuff breaks.

2) For tire rotations- I wouldn't use the roadside jack. Get a solid set of stands/chocks/garage jack. That little jack is a trade off- Not big so you can take it everywhere without too much issue...but not not big so it won't let you do everything a normal jack would.
Old 10-28-2010, 07:58 AM   #8
2007tacoOldLineSt will become famous soon enough2007tacoOldLineSt will become famous soon enough
Thanks

Awesome information...thanks guys. I bought my taco used...no card in the visor!

I only drove about 200-300' in 4WD, and I have only done it once. Glad I noticed the lockup and asked here.

With this new information, just how soft should the surface be to engage the part-time 4WD? And would that hard turn lock on a soft surface as well? I guess it would be safe to stick to 4WD unless you get stuck? Or is there another rule of thumb to follow?

I have only used the 4WD twice. Once in some soft mud ( got stuck in 2WD ) at a jobsite, and once playing around at a site where some new homes are being built ( combination mud and loose dirt ).

Thanks again...
Old 10-28-2010, 08:00 AM   #9
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmrider View Post
Basically Line #1 on the card...

Off pavement or if the pavement is very wet or icy is when you can use 4WD... This is beacuse the front and rear driveshafts are 'locked' together in 4WD.... Since they need to rotate at different speeds while turning (front tires rotate more than back tires), you want to be on a soft or slippery surface so they can, when in 4WD. Otherwise, turning will be difficult and a strain on parts.

AWD ('All Wheel Drive' or full time four wheel drive) vehicles have a center differential that allows the front and rear driveshaft to rotate at different speeds and can be driven on dry pavement.
Old 10-28-2010, 09:05 AM   #10
Thanks again.

Hopefully my 200-300' low speed 4WD adventure on pavement didn't do any serious damage. I doubt it, but you never know I guess.
Old 10-28-2010, 09:07 AM   #11
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2007tacoOldLineSt View Post
Thanks again.

Hopefully my 200-300' low speed 4WD adventure on pavement didn't do any serious damage. I doubt it, but you never know I guess.
You're more than likely fine, just don't do it again!
Old 10-28-2010, 10:01 AM   #12
m_taker1 is on a distinguished road

Name: Mark
m_taker1's Tacoma Gallery
i have (2) 3 ton floor jacks, i got one at pep boys and one at sears. the one at sears was like $59 on sale, just keepy an eye out, habor freights are about the same price also.
Old 10-28-2010, 11:16 AM   #13
S.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
S.B.'s Tacoma Gallery
The stock jack is just fine. I can put it on the frame and get the front tires off the ground no problem, I don't have the sway bar on (allows the one tire have more droop) and they are a true 33" tires. I just use the jack to lift and always use jack stands.
Old 10-28-2010, 11:24 AM   #14
Mind = Blown
Loudpedal is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoudpedal is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoudpedal is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoudpedal is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoudpedal is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoudpedal is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoudpedal is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoudpedal is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoudpedal is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoudpedal is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoudpedal is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: EOD
Name: Blair
Loudpedal's Tacoma Gallery
So everybody pretty much covered it, but check out David K's threads on 4 wheel drive information. this guy knows stuff