LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Fiberglass or Aluminum Cap

Old 10-28-2010, 09:15 AM   #1
2007tacoOldLineSt will become famous soon enough2007tacoOldLineSt will become famous soon enough
2007tacoOldLineSt's Tacoma Gallery
Fiberglass or Aluminum Cap

So, I am in the market for a cap for my dc shortbed. I am back and forth between the fiberglass and the aluminum cap.

As of now I have learned the aluminum is a few bucks cheaper than the fiberglass ( depending on make and model it seems like it is in the 200 dollar range ). However once I start adding windows and such to get the aluminum the way I want it it ends up around the same price as a base model fiberglass ( 850-1000 ). Basically what I want i cap for is:

1 ) Protect hunting/work gear

2 ) Dry space for gear, groceries, tools

In addition to the storing of gear and keeping it out of the weather, I also will be in the market for a ladder rack. I was considering the Surefit/Rack It Tacoma rack.

http://www.tacomarack.com/index.html

But had considered just going with a few bars on the cap and over the cab. My hauling needs are generally light ( small amounts of lumber never more than a few hundred pounds ) but I love the look of the Sureffit and its probably better to have the capacity and not need it all the time than need it and not ever have it. Also, by the time I purchases load bars for the cap and cab I am approaching the cost of the Surefit rack ( not quite but close ).

So...if I go with the Surefit I need a non-skirted cap. Which I am pretty sure most of the aluminum is and from what I have been told almost all fiberglass is available non-skirted. It seems like the big issue is looks and weight.

Looks I am not terribly concerned about, but weight could be an issue. Any thoughts on weight differences or other pros/cons of fiberglass vs. aluminum?

Thanks...
Old 10-28-2010, 11:06 AM   #2
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
I'm curious to hear the responses on this also!
Old 10-28-2010, 11:28 AM   #3
2007tacoOldLineSt will become famous soon enough2007tacoOldLineSt will become famous soon enough
Pretty quiet so far....

The calm before the storm....
Old 10-28-2010, 11:31 AM   #4
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2007tacoOldLineSt View Post
Pretty quiet so far....

The calm before the storm....
I hope so. I've been looking for a cap (hoping to find a used one but it's looking doubtful) and haven't even looked at an aluminum cap. To be honest, I didn't know they were still being made except for the commercial ones.
Old 10-28-2010, 11:52 AM   #5
TACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tom
TACOMA TRD's Tacoma Gallery
Search Craigslist for a cheaper fiberglass cap. Most guys buy them, once they realize that cant haul anything they end up selling.
Old 10-28-2010, 11:55 AM   #6
113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Stephen
113tac's Tacoma Gallery
i say an armorlid/undercover, they are at a pretty good price, and easy to take off, put on but also lock up pretty well.
Old 10-28-2010, 12:12 PM   #7
I thought about a solid tonneau ( spelling? ) cover but I would really like a ladder rack. If I could mount a lid, with the over the shell ladder rack that would be interesting but I don't think it would work.
Old 10-28-2010, 12:18 PM   #8
113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Stephen
113tac's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I thought about a solid tonneau ( spelling? ) cover but I would really like a ladder rack. If I could mount a lid, with the over the shell ladder rack that would be interesting but I don't think it would work.
ohh i thought you were talking about a tonneau(sp?) cover, sorry, i probably should have read the whole first post
Old 10-28-2010, 12:19 PM   #9

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
One of my buddy's in high school had a fiberglass lid that fit between the bed rails. It only had a small piece resting on the inside edge of the bed rails. I would think you could put a ladder rack on with it. This was also 10 years ago and it was a GMC Sonoma so who knows if it's still in existance? Someone here custom made one with a piece of diamond plate aluminum that fit between the rails 100% and locked in place. Neat option if you're handy.
Old 10-28-2010, 12:20 PM   #10

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TACOMA TRD View Post
Dearch Craigslist for a cheaper fiberglass cap. Most guys buy them, once they realize that cant haul anything they end up selling.
Had my eye on craigslist/Ebay/TW for a while now, even watching the clearance rack at my local Capworld. No luck yet
Old 10-28-2010, 12:22 PM   #11
Jimmyjohn has much to be proud ofJimmyjohn has much to be proud ofJimmyjohn has much to be proud ofJimmyjohn has much to be proud ofJimmyjohn has much to be proud ofJimmyjohn has much to be proud ofJimmyjohn has much to be proud ofJimmyjohn has much to be proud ofJimmyjohn has much to be proud ofJimmyjohn has much to be proud of

Name: Jim
Jimmyjohn's Tacoma Gallery
Fiberglass is the only way to go! Metal looks like it's from the 60s
Old 10-28-2010, 12:27 PM   #12
SuperTacoma will become famous soon enoughSuperTacoma will become famous soon enough

Name: Clint
SuperTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Metal is easier to dent as well. They tend to look like crap over time.
I prefer the fiberglass.
Old 10-28-2010, 12:53 PM   #13
I will probably end up going fiberglass. I would like a less expensive aluminum, but even a commercial with no side windows is almost as much as the fiberglass.

This guy over on Expedition Portal has the rack I am interested in, looks sweet and it would do the job.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...ad.php?t=40494
Old 10-28-2010, 01:10 PM   #14
roadking1 is on a distinguished road
roadking1's Tacoma Gallery
I put an ARE fiberglass tonneau cover on my 2009 access cab. locks with key fob ,color matched perfectly. I had a LEER cap on my old Toyota...poor quality. also caps are much more noisier than tonneau covers