1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Will low caster angles wear tires/parts?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Priddle, Oct 28, 2010.

1. Oct 28, 2010 at 10:45 AM
    Priddle

Priddle [OP] And now for something completely different....

Member:
    St. John's, NL Canada
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Sport DCSB
    Current: Pelfreybilt front and rear bumpers, winch, icon front coils/shocks, Icon rear shocks, Dakar leafs, Camberg UCAs, Pumpkin Android stereo, custom sub box w/ 2x10" RF subs and Kicker amp, short shifter kit, Fuel Beast 18" wheels w/ 1mm offset, BFG AT2 285/65/18
    I am still having alignment issues and paid another visit to my alignment shop and explained again that the caster likely needs to be adjusted to at least 2 degrees to get rid of the jerking to the right on bumps and uneven road surfaces. They said "sure we can try it but it might make it worse and then what are you going to do?" and they would have to start from scratch. They said I'd also be charged again because where its lifted, its not their problem as they aligned it to factory specs which is all they could do. Whether it is my problem or not has arguments on both sides...mine being I went for an alignment and it's still not right.

Anywho, there's a shop across town that the 4x4 hardcores go to for their alignments but I'm not sure when I can get there. Is it ok to drive like that for awhile? ie, will it wear the tires quicker or parts? My understanding is it won't wear tires but I guess it could put increased strain on the steering?

Thanks again

2. Oct 28, 2010 at 11:37 AM
    Kdawwwg

Kdawwwg Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Draper,Utah
    Vehicle:
    2010 Magnetic Grey DC Long Bed TRD Sport 4x4
    RCD 4.5" Lift ,Moded to 5.5",1.5 inch Toytec AAL Light Raceing UCA's, 285/70/17 Duratracks, Procomp 7028 Wheels 17X8.5x4.75, Leer XQ Shell,Keyless Entry,Bedrug, Kartec Front End Limiting Straps.
    no tires will not were out faster,your fine
    here is what i see for you ,1st choice get light racing UCAs #2 lower your 5100s to 1.75 ,that way you will have more caster adj.available,
    your stock arms ,with 2.5 inch of lift will not allow you to get 0 toe 0 camber.an 2.6 caster
    now on caster ,caster controls how the truck tracks at high speeds[wondering]
    also Ive had 3 alignments done were one tech would say higher camber on driver side,other says higher on passenger side,[those pulled one way or another]
    now my last time i set both at 2.8 best alignment by far[screw aligning for road crown]
    the problem is there is a huge range in the factory alingment specs
    get the arms,an request those numbers,they can be reached
    arms can be bought for under $400

3. Oct 28, 2010 at 7:51 PM
    wylie

wylie Member

Member:
    First Name:
    wylie
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
    10 Tacoma Dbl cab
    Clarion CX609, Running Boards........one step at a time!!!
    Caster is not a tire wearing angle. Camber and Toe cause tire wear problems. Caster issues cause handling problems, wandering and darty are the most prolific. A caster difference will cause a pull to the least positive side. Therefore, it can wear parts out faster. Significant caster issues will also cause weight transfer issues that can overwork shocks and give the driver a false sense of steering.

4. Oct 29, 2010 at 4:41 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    ^That.

Did the shop give you the print out for your alignment?? What were the specs they got you to?? (Mainly I have a hard time believing they are even back to stock...but I'd like to see them.)

5. Oct 29, 2010 at 9:39 AM
    fvtalon

fvtalon Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern BC
    Vehicle:
    07 DC TRD/Yamaha
    285/65/18 BFG ATs on MKWs Leer Cap
    I'd maybe look for a different shop. In my performance car forums I know there's shops that won't touch a lowered car or won't dial in the numbers you ask for or won't tell you anything beyond that they got factory specs or whatever. You're the customer, they work for you.

If you look at a street bike and a big chopper from the side the fork angle going to be the caster (of course it's not quite that simple but it's a truck forum, not a motorbike forum). More caster will result in better straight line cruise, better self centering after a corner and slower steering response, turn in and dartiness, less caster does the opposite. Shouldn't affect tire wear unless it's way out.

Toe is the biggest alignment related tire wrecker, with camber behind.

6. Oct 30, 2010 at 6:15 AM
    Priddle

Member:
    St. John's, NL Canada
    Vehicle:
    Current: Pelfreybilt front and rear bumpers, winch, icon front coils/shocks, Icon rear shocks, Dakar leafs, Camberg UCAs, Pumpkin Android stereo, custom sub box w/ 2x10" RF subs and Kicker amp, short shifter kit, Fuel Beast 18" wheels w/ 1mm offset, BFG AT2 285/65/18
    Here's the report

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2n...lling-right-since-tires-lift.html#post2264582

And yes, this shop said all they can do it align to factory specs. This guy has 22 years of experience...one would figure he'd say to himself...this truck will need more caster now to keep it straight.

Like I said there's another shop across the city that all the 4x4ing crowd here go to and swear by. And these fellas have extreme mods to their rigs. I didn't know about this until it was too late.

Even if they can get my caster up to 2, it would probably help a bunch

7. Oct 30, 2010 at 7:04 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.

Keep in mind, Running stock UCA's, they are going to have to bump up the Camber to give you more Caster. That means your tires are going to be at a slight angle (depending on how much Camber they have to dial in), and it can make your tires wear faster in the outside edges.

8. Mar 6, 2011 at 3:14 PM
    thegreatest

thegreatest Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    J Money
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner Off-Road
    Got that 3" lift bwaaaaaa!
    noob quesiton.

Will adjusting the caster give the front end a little lift?

After installing 3" lift on my truck I've noticed the rear is a little higher.

9. Mar 6, 2011 at 6:30 PM
    Priddle

Member:
    St. John's, NL Canada
    Vehicle:
    No. What lift did you get?

10. Mar 6, 2011 at 6:34 PM
    raswank

raswank Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Auburn,Ma
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Double Cab 4x4 6 speed
    Grillcraft, Rear leaf TSB, 5100's at .85, with Eibachs, 265/70/17 BF Goodrich AT/S Tires, Hella 500's behind Grill, Kenwood KDC X995 H/U all Boston Acoustic speakers, JL Audio subs, Kenwood XR5 S amp, ATX Chrome 17x8 wheels
    I get my Eibachs and 5100's adjusted to .85 on Tuesday with new Light Racing UCA'S. What should I give the alignment tech for alignment numbers?

11. Mar 6, 2011 at 7:11 PM
    thegreatest

Member:
    First Name:
    J Money
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner Off-Road
    is because the aal's are new and i should just wait till they settle?

12. Mar 7, 2011 at 1:09 PM
    thegreatest

Member:
    First Name:
    J Money
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner Off-Road
    up we go. :)

13. Mar 7, 2011 at 6:47 PM
    Priddle

Member:
    St. John's, NL Canada
    Vehicle:
    If you had set the 5100s to 1.75 it would have likely leveled the truck.

You can't walk in with alignment numbers. They have to either get it close to stock as possible or the real pros will align using experience keeping in mind lift and tire/rim size.

Products Discussed in

To Top