1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

A RR Locker for new Taco

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by seakayaker32, Oct 28, 2010.

1. Oct 28, 2010 at 11:04 AM
    seakayaker32

seakayaker32 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Peoria IL
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Off Road DCSB
    TRD CAI, Anytime Locker Mod. Modified Doug Thorley Pipe Bomb exhaust (tail pipe cut off just past the rear axle). All Pro winch bumper w/Tuff Stuff Xtreme 12500lbs winch (don't knock it it was free) All Pro IFS skid plate Custom Transfer Case skid plate Old Man Emu lift Desert products chromoly uniball UCAs Rear Differential breather Mod. Front differential drop kit. Satoshi Grill Bushwhacker Fender Flares Wilschur VT series Tiregate Softopper SOS offroad concept sliders w/kick out. Cobra 29 CB
    Okay, so I've had my -05 dbl cab TRD Sport 4WD for a little over a month now, and I'm already thinking about mods. Among other things, I eventually want to put a 3" lift under it, upgrade tires/wheels, give it a winch, and. . . yes, I really do want to fork out the bucks to replace the LSD w/a locker. I've done a lot of research, and perhaps if I kept looking I'd find the answers to these questions, but I'm tired of looking. . . Hopefully someone in here can answer them, or at least point me in the right direction.

First, I know that you can't upgrade from an open Diff to a yota e-locker w/out signficant fabrication to the diff. housing. Is that also true if you are replacing an LSD w/an E-locker, or is the diff housing for an LSD large enough to handle the e-locker w/out any modification? Also, would it just be a matter of bolting on the electric motor then running the wires for the switch, or would there be significant modification required to mount the motor as well?

I know that my other options are:

1. an auto-locking locker, which as near as I can tell, isn't any better than the factory LSD; definately not worth forking out the extra money for the swap.

2. A detroit locker, which is auto-locking but apparently does a better job than most auto lockers.

3. An ARB, which is quite expensive, but is manually engaged like the yota e-locker. The other advantage to this is that that they make one for the front axle as well (but of course that means even more money).

4. swapping out the TRD Sport RR Dif/axle w/ a TRD Off-Road, which I am sure would be the most expensive (unless I found a used one???) and labor intensive.

Okay, so now I have to show my ignorance. Is it possible for a guy w/limited mechanical experience/tools, (I can do basic brake jobs, change belts/hoses/plugs/etc.) to make these mods, or should I leave it to the professionals? I have, by the way, convinced myself that I can do the 3" lift myself.

If the answer to that last question is yes, then does anyone know of a place on the web that provides step-by-step instructions?

Any input you have is greatly appreciated.

Thx, Rich

2. Oct 28, 2010 at 11:13 AM
    08pretaco

08pretaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    az
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra 4x4 CM 5.7L SR5
    @ADSracingshocks - F 3 point ohh / R 2.5 - w/clickers @camburgracing - uniball UCA @rigidindustries - 40" amber/white split, Dually XL, D2 @coopertires - 35/12.5/17 STT MAXX @bayareametalfab - low pro bed rack @toyotausa - 17" rock warrior @sdhqoffroad - rock sliders, a-pillar @hondogarage / @apple / @gaiagps / @dualgps- navigation @wheelersoffroadinc - superbumps
    If you decide with the ARB shoot me a PM. Before I install it, if I find the right deal I will sell it lol

3. Oct 28, 2010 at 12:20 PM
    viperstd

viperstd Tacoma convert

Member:
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    09 4x4 TRD SR5 DC LB
    AllPro Front and Rear trail armor & full skid plates, Demello Hybrid Rock Crushers, Old Man Emu suspension, Warn 8000# winch, PIAA SMR fogs, perforated + heated leather seats, in-dash DVD/NAV/Sound, RE subs
    Can you do a locker swap? Yes. However, it is a PITA, requires a press, etc. Go for installing the lift, it is very doable in a driveway/garage.

The ARBs are hands down the best option if you want lockers. To do a swap to a Toyo e-locker, you will need the whole rearend, switch, and 4x4 computer (? I think). There is a member here that found the whole rear out of a wrecked truck and made the swap for cheap.

If you are playing around in the gears you might as re-gear anyways. Better to only tear it apart once. I have been pinching pennies for arbs and new gears for a while now.

:Cheers:

4. Oct 28, 2010 at 12:51 PM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    I moded 1999 Taco so much it had turned to Land Cruiser
    To get e-locker into your LSD axle you need to swap whole axle (drum to drum) everything is different including third member, axle housing and drive axles)
    Now
    1. Lockright or aussie is your cheapest way to go and easiest install. and it is as strong as pretty much everything else out there. There are few rip offs (other brand like lockright and Aussie) that get their pins sheared but thats different story.
    2 Detroit is very good very strong. takes out the possibility of OEM carrier going bad .

3 ARB Best choice and most expensive one also more complicated to install then Detroit.

4. Too expensive and then you are running smaller R&P so actually now your breakage chances increased. Installation probably more complex then ARB.

5. Jan 13, 2011 at 9:07 PM
    RELLIM

RELLIM Well-Known Member

Member:
    IOWA CITY IA
    Vehicle:
    2010 ACC CAB 4X4 V6 SR5 TRD
    Scan Gauge II, AFE air filter, charcoal intake filter delete Fitch Fuel Catalyst, Alpine iDA-X303, AMS OIL (ENGINE) Bilstein 5100 RHA series
    alburn gear has a locker that is like a GM G80 but has an electric full rear wheel lock that can be engaged/disengaged at any speed.
    I have an 2010 Trd and this LSD system is a joke, its got it saving moments...but i miss the G80 i once had.. I would like to lock the rear tires without dropping into 4lo.. and im sick of burning up my breaks to correct the vehicles rear end movement..it throws me out of wack when the lsd is correcting a spin out, when i do it with out even thinking...
    It would be nice if the other tire would kick in and pull the same as the drive tire when you lose control instead of locking the drive tire up...

sorry if i repeat myself but i miss the G80 principal ..lsd is not my cup of tea, i still like to have fun...:)

6. Jan 14, 2011 at 9:25 AM
    Chester

Chester Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nor Cal
    Vehicle:
    07 Access Cab TRD-OR M-V6 4x4
    Rear Spring TSB,Locker Mod,In bed cargo lights,Fully de-badged,TRD Seat Covers,Trailer Harness Relocation,Painted wheels,Extra tie-downs,5100's,Biceman lighting,09 stereo with sirius & isimple ipod interface,Rear diff breather mod,K&N Air Filter
    If its a daily driver skip the Detroit,it will drive you nuts.
    Secondly,you can pull the third member yourself with basic tools,but take the gear work to a shop your dealing with multipal tollarances and settings and an absolute pain in the ass!

7. Jan 14, 2011 at 9:43 AM
    Tepidy

Tepidy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    11 tacoma 4x4
    Toytec Coil Overs 3.00" DSM UCA's (Desert Products) TSB 4 Leaf w/AAL by Pro Comp Bilstein 5100 rear 1"ToyTec SwayBar Drops 1" diff drop Detroit Trutrac Rear Diff Nitro 4.56 Gears Doug Thornley Header MagnaFlow Cat Back Exhaust Custom Built Rear Plate Bumper Custom Built Front Plate Bumper 4X Innovations Rock Sliders ATO Front Skid BAMF Rear Diff Skid Uniden 510XL Pro CB Raceline Renegades BF Goodrich Mud Terrains KM2's 265x75x16 WeatherTechs Rear Diff breather Relocate Intake Resonator Removed Yellow Wire Mod
    If your going to be using the taco as an everyday driver I would not go with a detroit locker. The detroit TruTrac is better for this type of situation. If your just building a off road vehicle and sometimes using it for the road than a Detroit Locker is great. Both are inexpensive about $470-$500

8. Feb 6, 2011 at 4:14 AM
    Underdog777

Underdog777 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Gilberz
    Vehicle:
    '06 Stuckrunner
    Camburg LT.
    I am in the exact same position your in right now man. I want to go with the Powertrax No-Slip, but I don't know if that will work with my rear end. Are all the Tacoma rear ends 30 spline, single pinion? Some buddies of mine are telling me my only two options are both the Eaton Detroit lockers, the make no mention of the Richmond Gear Powertrax. Lost in the sauce big time. :facepalm:

9. Feb 9, 2011 at 11:53 AM
    tacoscoop

tacoscoop Member

Member:
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    '11 Dbl.cab Trd sport 4wd / Warn XD9000
    Warn XD9000 winch
    Put the lift/tires and winch on, see how that does and if you find the yota wont go where you want most of the time without trouble then spend the extra cash to get the rear locked. I found myself in the same boat...I liked the way the sport model looked better and in truth, most of my time is spent on-road so I bought the sport and added a 9k lb winch. So far I really havent needed to use it with this truck, but it is definately "an insurance policy" when things get rough on the trail. I am convinced that a little bit bigger mud tire and a winch can get me MOST places I want to go.
    Another plus is that the winch will not void your warranty.

10. Jul 10, 2011 at 10:08 PM
    stunt man hans

stunt man hans DISPLACED VIKING LIVING IN WYOMING

Member:
    First Name:
    Hans
    LIVE FREE OR DIE
    Vehicle:
    2015 AEV RAM 3500
    FULL AEV PROSPECTOR KIT++
    mechanical locker for the rear and an e locker for the front this is what i was thinking of doing i know detroit make them i just don't know if they are for my year and model tacoma. plus i need to regear to compensate for the larger tires. any thoughts on this..

Products Discussed in

To Top