Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Getting the Rear Leaf TSB Dealer Run Around ... Ugh

Old 10-29-2010, 06:24 PM   #21
ZanexGt is on a distinguished road
ZanexGt's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCin HBCA View Post
I couldn't have had very much, I only drove loaded a couple times. Be persistent and remember the line: "I didn't feel safe driving with even a small load".

If you just bought the truck from this dealer I would hope they would be very interested in providing you excellent service (have you got the survey yet?).

Again, be firm but respectful and it'll go a long way. I wouldn't expect any company to blindly replace parts, the inspection is part of the process. Those that have related stories of "I told them about the TSB and they ordered the parts right then" are the exception... not the norm.
So, I called the dealership I bought the truck from. It is a different dealership in the No. Va area and much further from my house. I used your line "I don't feel safe driving with even a small load" and they were much more ameniable. In fact, the service manager was very friendly, said it would take them a few weeks to get the springs and that he would call on Monday to setup a time and day to install the new springs.

I am shocked it was so easy.

So why did I not call them in the first place? Well, they are 4x the distance from my house as the dealer I called.

I will let you all know if it all works as easy as the service manager stated. Also thanks for the comments, I learned a lot from this thread.
Old 10-29-2010, 09:38 PM   #22
KCin HBCA has much to be proud ofKCin HBCA has much to be proud ofKCin HBCA has much to be proud ofKCin HBCA has much to be proud ofKCin HBCA has much to be proud ofKCin HBCA has much to be proud ofKCin HBCA has much to be proud ofKCin HBCA has much to be proud of

Firefighter: Retired
Name: Keith
KCin HBCA's Tacoma Gallery
Good deal!!! I bet they will call you in a day or two, my dealer had the springs the next day.
Old 11-10-2010, 08:06 PM   #23
ZanexGt's Tacoma Gallery
Truck was dropped off at the dealer tonight, we'll see how it goes.
Old 11-10-2010, 08:46 PM   #24
FIRESTARTER is on a distinguished road
Name: Jordan
FIRESTARTER's Tacoma Gallery
mine is at the stealership for this right now, said it will be done in morning.

guy told me its for a "harsh" ride. so I told him, when the axle slams it little bump stops into the frame, it's.... not?... a harsh ride. and he laughed and did it.

toyota of redlands is super nice.

no offroad trip in my truck came without severe bottoming out of the rear
Old 11-11-2010, 03:02 AM   #25
808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed
808matt's Tacoma Gallery
i just drive around w/ the bump stops b/c i'm too lazy to care
Old 11-12-2010, 09:51 AM   #26
ZanexGt's Tacoma Gallery
So, I had not heard from the dealership and gave them a call for a status update on my truck.

The service manager told me that they received two left side TSB springs instead of a left and right and the truck would be done by the end of this weekend.

I hope everything turns out ok.
Old 11-12-2010, 10:12 AM   #27
FIRESTARTER is on a distinguished road
Name: Jordan
FIRESTARTER's Tacoma Gallery
I got mine back yesturday 3 hours after they opened. they did the entire tsb including aligning my tires.

plus they did a free detail job.

I don't think it rides any harsher, switching to bfg ta k/o's made it way more harsher of a ride than the stiffer springs. (which I don't care cause they are awesome tires)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZanexGt View Post
So, I had not heard from the dealership and gave them a call for a status update on my truck.

The service manager told me that they received two left side TSB springs instead of a left and right and the truck would be done by the end of this weekend.

I hope everything turns out ok.
Old 11-16-2010, 09:24 PM   #28
ZanexGt's Tacoma Gallery
Update:

My Leaf TSB was completed this weekend. Thanks for the help all.
Old 01-21-2011, 01:17 PM   #29
Soon is on a distinguished road
Soon's Tacoma Gallery
What dealer did you get the TSB performed at?
Old 01-21-2011, 01:58 PM   #30
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Guys... they are not all bad (the newer ones)!

I had a 2005 DC with weak springs that bottomed out (rear passengers or a load in the bed) driving over bumps, normal speed.

My 2010 DC (also just 3 leaves) does NOT bottom out under the same conditions... and I have been 'trying' for a year now... It won't bottom... better springs. Truck comes from the Baja Calif., Mexico plant (between Tijuana and Tecate).
Old 01-21-2011, 02:04 PM   #31
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe ....
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Personally , I haul material in my truck all the time and can't imagine having one less leaf.
Old 01-21-2011, 02:11 PM   #32
Polymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Polymerhead's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by David K View Post
Guys... they are not all bad (the newer ones)!

I had a 2005 DC with weak springs that bottomed out (rear passengers or a load in the bed) driving over bumps, normal speed.

My 2010 DC (also just 3 leaves) does NOT bottom out under the same conditions... and I have been 'trying' for a year now... It won't bottom... better springs. Truck comes from the Baja Calif., Mexico plant (between Tijuana and Tecate).
Can anyone else back this up? (No offense, David) I did some searching and found David posting this other times but no one else echoing this. My '10 is a Baja truck as well but I haven't loaded it down to see how it hauls itself.
Old 01-22-2011, 09:45 AM   #33
JKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JKD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polymerhead View Post
Can anyone else back this up? (No offense, David) I did some searching and found David posting this other times but no one else echoing this. My '10 is a Baja truck as well but I haven't loaded it down to see how it hauls itself.
I've never had the truck loaded to the limit, but with approximately 450 pounds in the cab and 450 pounds in the bed, driving at normal speeds on moderately rough dirt and gravel roads, I never felt the rear bottom out and did not think it rode poorly.

That's in my 2009 prerunner access cab, built at NUMMI (California).
Old 01-22-2011, 10:02 AM   #34
My pee parts itch
dexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dexterdog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yes, I believe the three leaf packs on '09 and newer are updated. I loaded my truck with the three leaf pack with a yard of fine mulch and it handled pretty good without bottoming out. I got the TSB done because I knew this was going to be a common scenario for me.

After I got the TSB done I hauled another yard of mulch and it may have handled a little better but not alot better as some had experienced with the three leaf packs. I was actually a little disappointed with the 4 leaf upgrade but I came from an F250 diesel as my hauler so it was somewhat expected.
Old 01-22-2011, 11:08 AM   #35
me gusta pechos firmes
jivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jack MeHoff
jivewalker's Tacoma Gallery
I have an 11 and had the TSB done. The original springs matched the part # on the bad springs. My truck rode poorly with weight. New springs are a different part number and solved the problem. I posted pictures on another thread of the old and new parts, you can see the part niumbers clearly on the old springs.
Old 01-22-2011, 11:30 AM   #36
Psalm 109:8
BryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BryWi's Tacoma Gallery
I had my TSB done Wednesday. My truck had 330 miles on it. When I called to schedule it, I was given the "dumb act": What rear leaf TSB? For the 2011? I don't recall seeing that one.

When I informed them I had a copy of it sitting in front of me, it was "ohhh".

I also mentioned that i wanted my $30,000 truck to perform like a truck. On par with the Nissan hardbody and Titan I had owned previously.

Then it was firmly communicated to them that we could just get this done without the dog-and-pony show or I would call Toyota to "expedite the process". Or I could load the bed up to create the TSB occurrence and get it done that way. But that would result in a poor customer service experience.

Next thing I knew, the service manager said they would order the parts and schedule an install ASAP.

They called the next day and told me to bring her in.

You have to show some resolve and let them know this is going to be done, whatever it takes.

Like this:

Sorry, I love the icons

I'll attach the TSB if you don't already have it. Good luck. You'll get 'er done.

84569d1294883909-dealer-just-gave-me-bs-spring-tsb-when-i-dropped-my-truck-off-help-t-sb-0359-10.pdf
Old 01-22-2011, 11:46 AM   #37
Psalm 109:8
BryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BryWi's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZanexGt View Post
Update:

My Leaf TSB was completed this weekend. Thanks for the help all.
Congrats. Are you happy with it?

I got all worked up and posted a response, and then as I read the thread I see you got it done

Well maybe my rant will help someone else get results
Old 01-23-2011, 01:14 PM   #38
ZanexGt's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryWi View Post
Congrats. Are you happy with it?

I got all worked up and posted a response, and then as I read the thread I see you got it done

Well maybe my rant will help someone else get results
Still happy with the TSB Rear Leaf spring packs. I think the truck handles great. The ride is not too stiff (IMO) and I am surprised the truck does not come with these springs from the factory.
Old 01-23-2011, 01:18 PM   #39
ZanexGt's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryWi View Post
I also mentioned that i wanted my $30,000 truck to perform like a truck. On par with the Nissan hardbody and Titan I had owned previously.

Then it was firmly communicated to them that we could just get this done without the dog-and-pony show or I would call Toyota to "expedite the process". Or I could load the bed up to create the TSB occurrence and get it done that way. But that would result in a poor customer service experience.

Next thing I knew, the service manager said they would order the parts and schedule an install ASAP.
I love it, "dog and pony show".

It's true though, you really have to hold your ground with the dealership. I had no less than 5 people ask me if I was 'sure' I wanted the TSB b/c the 'truck would be SO much stiffer'. To which I answered 'Yes, I would like my truck to handle like a truck'.