Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Getting the Rear Leaf TSB Dealer Run Around ... Ugh

Old 10-28-2010, 05:24 PM   #1
ZanexGt is on a distinguished road
ZanexGt's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs down Getting the Rear Leaf TSB Dealer Run Around ... Ugh

Hey all,

I bought my truck last week, new, and it has approximately 200 miles on it. I do not drive much to/from work, maybe 10 miles at most.

Anyway, I bought my truck to haul 'stuff'. You name it, trees, mulch, firewood, engines, and to tow a boat and trailer.

Needless to say, I want the Rear Leaf spring TSB.

So I went to Kay Jennings Toyota today in Alexandria, VA. The service manager told me that I need to bring my truck in so that they can 'inspect' my claims of the bed sagging under load.

Sounds like a 'load of you know what' to me.

I was nice but disappointed. I just knew I would get the dealer run around on the Leaf Spring TSB. I mean, what am I supposed to do? If they look at my suspension, it looks brand new, there won't be any wear, especially to the bump stops.

So....Should I bring it to Kay Jennings and go through their rigamarole? Should I try another dealer? (anyone in the No. Va area have recommendations?) or should I call Toyota and see what they can do?
My expectation was to go in, talk to the service manager, listen to some B.S., and then they would order the parts / setup a time for installation. Lastly, I brought a copy of the TSB with me.

Anyway, I know I will need the spring TSB, I bought the truck to be a truck!

Anyone got opinions? Thanks!

-Robert
Old 10-28-2010, 05:37 PM   #2
Make mine a Double!
skistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud of

Navy:
Name: Mike
skistoy's Tacoma Gallery
I did have to call toyota corp after they denied me at first, so that will be your next step.
research the site, there are plenty of threads on the subject.

try this line, i used it when they wanted me to do the same thing;

WHY WOULD I WASTE MY TIME AND MONEY
PUTTING WEIGHT IN THE BACK OF MY TRUCK
FOR A PROBLEM THAT HAS ALREADY
a. BEEN IDENTIFIED FOR THE LAST 5 YEARS AND
b. ALREADY HAS A TSB ISSUED FOR THE REPAIR OF IT????

after agreeing to do the TSB, they tried to give me the ride will be alot firmer speech

I stated - Oh, more like a truck?
Old 10-28-2010, 05:41 PM   #3
ZanexGt's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by skistoy View Post
try this line, i used it when they wanted me to do the same thind

after agreeing to do the TSB, they tried to give me the ride will be alot firmer speech

That's what is weird about their request, they don't want the truck loaded, they just want their techs to inspect the truck.

Oh and they already tried the whole 'the ride will be so firm you won't like it' bit on me. I politely told them I bought a truck not a luxury car.
Old 10-28-2010, 05:45 PM   #4
Make mine a Double!
skistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud of

Navy:
Name: Mike
skistoy's Tacoma Gallery
your may want to research the part numbers of the rear springs on your truck

you should still be able to see them seeing its new, probably on the top side.

if your spring part numbers match the ones listed on the TSB

they really have no grounds for not doing the TSB
Old 10-28-2010, 05:48 PM   #5
ZanexGt's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
your may want to research the part numbers of the rear springs on your truck

you should still be able to see them seeing its new, probably on the top side.

if your spring part numbers match the ones listed on the TSB

they really have no grounds for not doing the TSB
That's a good idea, I am going to crawl under the truck tomorrow and take a look. I'll snap some pictures too if possible.
Old 10-28-2010, 05:58 PM   #6
Yota1 is a glorious beacon of lightYota1 is a glorious beacon of lightYota1 is a glorious beacon of lightYota1 is a glorious beacon of lightYota1 is a glorious beacon of lightYota1 is a glorious beacon of light

Yota1's Tacoma Gallery
bottom it out, the bump stops will leave marks, say you felt what seems like it bottomed out under "X" lbs. Thats what I did, no questions asked, swapped and all good now.
Old 10-28-2010, 06:17 PM   #7
me gusta pechos firmes
jivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jack MeHoff
jivewalker's Tacoma Gallery
be persistent, you'll get it if you have the springs that match the TSB part number, tell the dealer either they can call toyota or you can, their choice.
Old 10-28-2010, 06:32 PM   #8
KCin HBCA has much to be proud ofKCin HBCA has much to be proud ofKCin HBCA has much to be proud ofKCin HBCA has much to be proud ofKCin HBCA has much to be proud ofKCin HBCA has much to be proud ofKCin HBCA has much to be proud ofKCin HBCA has much to be proud of

Firefighter: Retired
Name: Keith
KCin HBCA's Tacoma Gallery
I was given the same story, they have to have a tech complete the paperwork documenting the complaint and any visible signs of bump stop contact with the frame.

Just go in with a respectful attitude but be firm. When I suspected they might give me a hard time I reiterated the fact that while I had a load in the bed I felt unsafe driving even the short distance (4 miles) home from Home Depot.

Be persistent, respectful, and informed when you deal with them and it should be fine. Some people go in with an "I'm entitled" attitude and start off on the wrong foot.

And if all else fails there is always another level to deal with. It's a hassle if it has to go that far but always maintain a respectful but firm attitude.

Best of luck, I hope you don't have any problems.

KC
Old 10-28-2010, 06:38 PM   #9
ZanexGt's Tacoma Gallery
Interesting comments guys. So, the likelihood of me getting denied due to lack of wear on the bumpstops is high? Should I wait until I hit the bumptops w/ a load in the bed (I'd rather not do that).
Old 10-28-2010, 06:38 PM   #10
ZanexGt's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCin HBCA View Post
I was given the same story, they have to have a tech complete the paperwork documenting the complaint and any visible signs of bump stop contact with the frame.

KC
Did you have wear on the bumpstops?
Old 10-28-2010, 06:40 PM   #11
Falcon86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFalcon86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFalcon86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFalcon86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFalcon86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFalcon86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFalcon86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFalcon86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFalcon86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFalcon86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFalcon86 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Falcon86's Tacoma Gallery
I've got an '11 Taco and I've been given the runaround by 2 dealerships AND Toyota "Customer Care".

My solution? Bilstein 5100's all around, AAL in the rear.

They don't want to do it, I'll do it myself.

First thing I need Toyota's help with and they won't back up what I just paid a ton of money for. Sucks.
Old 10-28-2010, 06:44 PM   #12
Larry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Larry's Tacoma Gallery
1st dealer I went to was stubborn about it...wanted me to leave the truck so they could inspect it.

called Toyota...they created a file and gave me a case #...they also emailed the info (including the TSB #) to the service mgr. at another dealership (you choice).

I then called the dealership service dept. Spoke with a advisor who cleared it with his mgr. to go ahead and order the parts and allow me to make one trip in for the TSB install. No BS "inspection"

Hook...line...sinker.......Done.
Old 10-28-2010, 06:58 PM   #13
KCin HBCA has much to be proud ofKCin HBCA has much to be proud ofKCin HBCA has much to be proud ofKCin HBCA has much to be proud ofKCin HBCA has much to be proud ofKCin HBCA has much to be proud ofKCin HBCA has much to be proud ofKCin HBCA has much to be proud of

Firefighter: Retired
Name: Keith
KCin HBCA's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZanexGt View Post
Did you have wear on the bumpstops?
I couldn't have had very much, I only drove loaded a couple times. Be persistent and remember the line: "I didn't feel safe driving with even a small load".

If you just bought the truck from this dealer I would hope they would be very interested in providing you excellent service (have you got the survey yet?).

Again, be firm but respectful and it'll go a long way. I wouldn't expect any company to blindly replace parts, the inspection is part of the process. Those that have related stories of "I told them about the TSB and they ordered the parts right then" are the exception... not the norm.
Old 10-29-2010, 03:48 PM   #14
Black Sand Mirror
808TRDTaco10 has much to be proud of808TRDTaco10 has much to be proud of808TRDTaco10 has much to be proud of808TRDTaco10 has much to be proud of808TRDTaco10 has much to be proud of808TRDTaco10 has much to be proud of808TRDTaco10 has much to be proud of808TRDTaco10 has much to be proud of808TRDTaco10 has much to be proud of808TRDTaco10 has much to be proud of

Name: Justin
808TRDTaco10's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I did have to call toyota corp after they denied me at first, so that will be your next step.
research the site, there are plenty of threads on the subject.

try this line, i used it when they wanted me to do the same thing;

Exactly what I was thinking when the dealer gave me BS about doing the TSB. There's obviously a problem, hence the TSB, and its complete bullshit that this $30k+ truck can't even carry half the weight that it's rated to carry without bottoming out
Old 10-29-2010, 03:51 PM   #15
ballz716 is a splendid one to beholdballz716 is a splendid one to beholdballz716 is a splendid one to beholdballz716 is a splendid one to beholdballz716 is a splendid one to beholdballz716 is a splendid one to beholdballz716 is a splendid one to behold
ballz716's Tacoma Gallery
With getting mine done they wanted to inspect. After they did that they brought up the tsb without me saying anything. Then set up a time I could come back to get it done. Also I never had a heavy enough load to hit the bump stops.
Old 10-29-2010, 04:20 PM   #16
Junior Senior Member
warpwr has much to be proud ofwarpwr has much to be proud ofwarpwr has much to be proud ofwarpwr has much to be proud ofwarpwr has much to be proud ofwarpwr has much to be proud ofwarpwr has much to be proud ofwarpwr has much to be proud ofwarpwr has much to be proud ofwarpwr has much to be proud of

Army: Motor Pool
Name: Vaughn
warpwr's Tacoma Gallery
I took mine in with no wear on the bump stops or anywhere else, it was brand new too.
I think they are told to ask questions about harsh ride, etc and tell you they need to inspect it.
The TSB mentions "harsh ride when loaded" so say that over and over when you go in.

The service writer (not manager) just said to me, 'so it has a harsh ride when loaded'? I said 'it sure does'.

They already had all the parts in stock and took the truck in right then and I got it back the next morning.

Did you buy it at this dealership? You could go tell your sales person/manager you need this TSB done and that the service department is giving you a hard time about it.
Old 10-29-2010, 04:22 PM   #17
hwysrfr is on a distinguished road

Marines: Radioman/F.O.
Name: Dennis
hwysrfr's Tacoma Gallery
Don't go to the dealer! Call 1800 number first! Smooth sailing after that!
Old 10-29-2010, 04:28 PM   #18
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZanexGt View Post
Interesting comments guys. So, the likelihood of me getting denied due to lack of wear on the bumpstops is high? Should I wait until I hit the bumptops w/ a load in the bed (I'd rather not do that).
"The system" is optimized to work as follows:

1. You experience a problem

2. You report it to the dealer

3. The dealer verifies the problem

4. The dealer fixes the problem.

When you read about the problem on the internet and try to jump direct to step 4, you're cutting against the grain. So yeah, just load it up heavy, drive it around for a while making sure the load bottoms out a few times, then begin at step 1.
Old 10-29-2010, 04:30 PM   #19
Ding King has a spectacular aura aboutDing King has a spectacular aura aboutDing King has a spectacular aura about

Ding King's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jivewalker View Post
be persistent, you'll get it if you have the springs that match the TSB part number, tell the dealer either they can call toyota or you can, their choice.

I agree. Stay after them it will work out.
Old 10-29-2010, 04:40 PM   #20
I am an asshole, deal with it!
extremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Chief Fire Controlman, Phalanx, CG-49, LCC-19, FFG-37, LPWS C-RAM 5-5 ADA A Battery
Name: Turd Furgison
extremachn1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ballz716 View Post
With getting mine done they wanted to inspect. After they did that they brought up the tsb without me saying anything. Then set up a time I could come back to get it done. Also I never had a heavy enough load to hit the bump stops.
Mine was exactly the same. I mentioned it to them, told them my complaint and the scheduled it with a service I needed. When I picked it up they said the parts were on order and they will call me when they were in. You might just want to let them look at it and see what they say. No point getting all worked up over nothing until they do deny it. Then call corporate.