Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

ATRAC: How does lifting you truck w/bigger tires affect its abiltiy??

Closed Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 03:27 PM   #1
Workman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWorkman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWorkman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWorkman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWorkman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWorkman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWorkman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWorkman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWorkman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWorkman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWorkman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Workman's Tacoma Gallery
ATRAC: How does lifting you truck w/bigger tires affect its abiltiy??

Not to start another thread that goes on and on about ATRAC vs. LOCKERS, I am truly curious how LIFTING a truck with ATRAC affects its abilities. What are some of the other problems associated with ATRAC and strain on other systems while running larger than stock tires? Does ATRAC still function the same with a lift AND larger tires???

This is directed to those with at least a three inch lift and 32's or more (and ATRAC)....hopefully there are no problems associated in the ATRAC system caused by lifting/tires, and this thread isnt a novel in a week

Old 10-29-2010, 03:44 PM   #2
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Different sized wheels and tires can make the system think the wheels are spinning at a different speed than they actually are. I may not to anything to affect ATRAC and it may cause the system to malfunction. Get the reset done at the dealer and all will be good.

Old 10-29-2010, 04:28 PM   #3
ccextra1976 is on a distinguished road
Air Force:
ccextra1976's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
Different sized wheels and tires can make the system think the wheels are spinning at a different speed than they actually are. I may not to anything to affect ATRAC and it may cause the system to malfunction. Get the reset done at the dealer and all will be good.
the sensor doesn't pick up the outside diameter of the tire,

Old 10-29-2010, 04:31 PM   #4
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccextra1976 View Post
the sensor doesn't pick up the outside diameter of the tire,
But there are wheel speed sensors and if the sizes are different when the calibration is for one size then the computer can think the left rear wheel is spinning at 10mph when it is really going 5. The amount of braking the computer uses might be too little or too much. But I'm not 100% on this since my truck isn't lifted. Either way if you are going to lift a truck with VSC it is best to reset the system.

Old 10-29-2010, 04:37 PM   #5
Air Force:
Quote:
But there are wheel speed sensors and if the sizes are different when the calibration is for one size then the computer can think the left rear wheel is spinning at 10mph when it is really going 5. The amount of braking the computer uses might be too little or too much. But I'm not 100% on this since my truck isn't lifted. Either way if you are going to lift a truck with VSC it is best to reset the system.
think about it like this, depending on tire size (mine = 265/75-16) the "speed" difference at 60 mph between factory and my tires is 2 mph. You can do the math at 5mph if you're using A-Trac.....it's not going to matter.

Old 10-29-2010, 04:38 PM   #6
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
It senses the amount of difference in spin, not a certain speed of spin. The system is better than most care to believe... No matter how big the tire that will fit on the truck, if it is spinning at 3 mph or 15 mph, A-TRAC will only come on if ONE of the tires on an axle spins more than the other... It will brake the loose tire to match the rotation of the traction tire... which means you move ahead.

Old 10-29-2010, 04:46 PM   #7
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccextra1976 View Post
think about it like this, depending on tire size (mine = 265/75-16) the "speed" difference at 60 mph between factory and my tires is 2 mph. You can do the math at 5mph if you're using A-Trac.....it's not going to matter.
It may and it may not matter. It all depends on the system.

I have the VSC and ABS problem with bigger tires in my head. The more I think about it I don't think larger tires will affect ATRAC since as Dave said it only care about wheel speed difference between the wheels.

Old 10-29-2010, 04:54 PM   #8
Air Force:
Quote:
It may and it may not matter. It all depends on the system.

I have the VSC and ABS problem with bigger tires in my head. The more I think about it I don't think larger tires will affect ATRAC since as Dave said it only care about wheel speed difference between the wheels.
I'm surprised you responded like this since you where in this thread

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...-trac-lsd.html

Old 10-29-2010, 10:18 PM   #9
Workman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWorkman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWorkman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWorkman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWorkman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWorkman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWorkman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWorkman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWorkman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWorkman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWorkman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Workman's Tacoma Gallery
You have a 3in lift? AND above 32"in tires? Then you need to keep responces TO YOURSELF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !! What will ATRAC DO when presented with different tire sizes because of lift AND 32in.+ tires???????????????

THis is not the David K/whippersnapper02/whateverthefukthread

Unless u have a three in. lift and ATRAC+++LIFT+++32 in. tires FU thread

I do not have these mods, just want to know the RESULTS!!!!!1

Geezus, throw me a f83in bone here!!!!!! Is ATRAC as effective with bigger tires and a lift????? If not, the ? of ATRAC/LOCKERS F/R is answered!!!!!!!!!

MY guess is that a stocK electronic trac system will FUCK up with larger tires and lift........the answer being, since it has been known since late '95, that ATRAC is Awesome, but not with lift and tires............................................

Old 10-29-2010, 10:34 PM   #10
Workman's Tacoma Gallery
Once again, after reviewing the responces, OF

DAVID K
WHIPPERSNATCHER02

Does ATRAC get minimized after a 3in lift and 32IN tires+??????????

THAT is the true test, IMO

IF ATRAC, cannot battle with larger tires/lifted tacomas........compared to Lockers front and rear with lift/larger tires.............what good is it "off road" as many here wont ever truly experience OFF ROAD

THen who the FUCK wants another electronic system controlling the way I DRIVE off road????????????????????????????????? Maybe MANUAL windows, locks, hubs, Floorboards are once again in our future....YES (Oh boy, a luxery tacoma............................................ .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .......sweet

Old 10-29-2010, 10:41 PM   #11
I phucking hate people >:(
ink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: 1st Civ Div
Name: TACO LOVER
ink junky's Tacoma Gallery
Calm down dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workman View Post
You have a 3in lift? AND above 32"in tires? Then you need to keep responces TO YOURSELF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !! What will ATRAC DO when presented with different tire sizes because of lift AND 32in.+ tires???????????????

THis is not the David K/whippersnapper02/whateverthefukthread

Unless u have a three in. lift and ATRAC+++LIFT+++32 in. tires FU thread

I do not have these mods, just want to know the RESULTS!!!!!1

Geezus, throw me a f83in bone here!!!!!! Is ATRAC as effective with bigger tires and a lift????? If not, the ? of ATRAC/LOCKERS F/R is answered!!!!!!!!!

MY guess is that a stocK electronic trac system will FUCK up with larger tires and lift........the answer being, since it has been known since late '95, that ATRAC is Awesome, but not with lift and tires............................................

Old 10-29-2010, 10:46 PM   #12
The Little Truck That Could
Yoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Roland
Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
the only problem ive run into so far with TRAC and 3" with 32s is the vsc kicks in way to easy... this is caused by the yaw sensor...

TRAC still works pretty good i dont notice a difference. may be because the larger tires grip better i dont notice the trac working as good or not... cant speak for atrac cause i dont have it

i do have to think that with larger tires there is much more strain on the brakes. they may not work as good as stock tires.

Old 10-29-2010, 10:46 PM   #13
ink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Wait I thought only 2009 (TRD models) and up tacomas have A-Trac......am I missing something here , cuz from your truck description it says you have an 06.

Old 10-29-2010, 10:47 PM   #14
Workman's Tacoma Gallery
COME THE FUCK on whippersnacher
David K
ECT douches

3in lift or larger/+32's+ W/ATRAC......OR nobody gives a shit on your stock trucks

Geezuz The answer will either end this huge geigh dilemma and finallh PROVE that lockers are better, or ATRAC with lift/tires is BETTER then lockers??????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????OK then, NO LIFT, NO ATRAC, NO LOCKERS, GIT OFF THIS THREAD, !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!C EPT ME, I STARTED THE ????????????????????????????

Old 10-29-2010, 10:48 PM   #15
Yoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
maybe hes looking to upgrade to newer model?

Old 10-29-2010, 10:50 PM   #16

Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
hbmurphy has atrac on a lifted truck with 33s. he has atrac and a locker

as far as im concerned he ended the debate a while ago when he told me that he likes the front locker better than atrac

Old 10-29-2010, 10:56 PM   #17
Workman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by joel0787 View Post
Wait I thought only 2009 (TRD models) and up tacomas have A-Trac......am I missing something here , cuz from your truck description it says you have an 06.
Just curious how ATRAC will operate with lift/larger tires man....Yes, I have an 06 offroad, NO ATRAC here.........read original post, just wanting to know how reliable it is with larger tires/lift

If it preforms negative with larger tires/lift

Then lockers are choice.........................................IMO , arent they always preferred over a computer controlled system?

Old 10-29-2010, 11:01 PM   #18
I did read your first post, I do have 2010 4x4 TRD off road, (rear locker and a-trac). It is lifted, it has 33 inch tires. I have yet to have any problems using any of the traction systems.

Please note fellow Tacomaworldlings... that I just stated that I have the rear locker and atrac and that I DID NOT say that one system (atrac) is better than the other system (front locker) and since I have never driven a vehicle with both front and rear lockers I remain neutral in the matter.... once again

Quote:
Just curious how ATRAC will operate with lift/larger tires man....Yes, I have an 06 offroad, NO ATRAC here.........read original post, just wanting to know how reliable it is with larger tires/lift

If it preforms negative with larger tires/lift

Then lockers are choice.........................................IMO

Old 10-29-2010, 11:14 PM   #19
Workman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by joel0787 View Post
I did read your first post, I do have 2010 4x4 TRD off road, (rear locker and a-trac). It is lifted, it has 33 inch tires. I have yet to have any problems using any of the traction systems.

Please note fellow Tacomaworldlings... that I just stated that I have the rear locker and atrac and that I DID NOT say that one system (atrac) is better than the other system (front locker) and since I have never driven a vehicle with both front and rear lockers I remain neutral in the matter.... once again

Thanks for the input!!!!!

Old 10-29-2010, 11:16 PM   #20
Quote:
Thanks for the input!!!!!

umm you're welcome

haha I don't know if you're being sarcastic or not

Closed Thread