Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Home made intake

Old 07-28-2008, 03:16 PM   #1
rc racer
paul gallardo is on a distinguished road
paul gallardo's Tacoma Gallery
Home made intake

My home made intake. Not quite finish but I'm getting there.
Old 07-28-2008, 03:47 PM   #2
Wish i was wheelin
TengoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTengoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTengoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTengoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTengoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTengoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTengoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTengoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTengoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTengoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTengoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tyler
TengoTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I don't see the picture. Upload it into your photo gallery then copy the link below the picture into your post.
Old 07-28-2008, 03:58 PM   #3
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery

only thing i'd do is make some sort of a heat shield
Old 07-28-2008, 09:38 PM   #4
rc racer
paul gallardo is on a distinguished road
paul gallardo's Tacoma Gallery
the heat sheild is in the works
Old 07-28-2008, 09:52 PM   #5
bite me
humanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shed

humanoid's Tacoma Gallery
Where is it supposed to draw air from?
Old 07-29-2008, 09:07 AM   #7
Nuggety
Chickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Chickenmunga's Tacoma Gallery
You can't just post that up and not talk about how much it costs!
Old 07-29-2008, 10:46 AM   #8
Devout Atheist
piercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
piercedtiger's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to piercedtiger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickenmunga View Post
You can't just post that up and not talk about how much it costs!
Or where to get parts!
Old 07-29-2008, 11:08 AM   #9
I've got so much soul in me that I'm barely alive.
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
looks to me like its just a K an N filter, a few hose clamps, and part of a dryer vent.
Old 07-29-2008, 02:25 PM   #10
nagelg is a glorious beacon of lightnagelg is a glorious beacon of lightnagelg is a glorious beacon of lightnagelg is a glorious beacon of lightnagelg is a glorious beacon of lightnagelg is a glorious beacon of light

Army: 173rd Airborne, Pathfinder, MACV
Name: George
nagelg's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to nagelg
I like it! Beats $300 for a mfg one and I'll wager it works as well. All the bullshit about "tuned" and "engineered" is just that!

Good job!!!!!
Old 07-29-2008, 05:11 PM   #11
NHinAK is on a distinguished road

Air Force: Crew Chief
NHinAK's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagelg View Post
I like it! Beats $300 for a mfg one and I'll wager it works as well. All the bullshit about "tuned" and "engineered" is just that!

Good job!!!!!
All that is going to do, is draw in hot air off the engine and exhaust manifolds. Guaranteed all the "bullshit" and "engineering" that went into my TRD CAI will draw in cooler air than that rigged filter set-up.
Old 07-29-2008, 05:19 PM   #12
This is TW. One never knows what is a joke anymore
beastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
beastlytaco's Tacoma Gallery
look, at least the guy took the hard effort of making one by hand and installing it into his tacoma. yes yours is probly nice but give the guy some credit here.
Old 07-29-2008, 05:21 PM   #13
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

as the guy said, he's working on the heatshield that'll keep all that heat out and it'll basically work like my K&N. give the guy some credit and get off his nuts
Old 07-29-2008, 05:37 PM   #14
Devout Atheist
piercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHinAK View Post
All that is going to do, is draw in hot air off the engine and exhaust manifolds. Guaranteed all the "bullshit" and "engineering" that went into my TRD CAI will draw in cooler air than that rigged filter set-up.
How much did your TRD kit cost? $300? $400? No offense, but does it honestly provide enough performance gains to be worth that? I'd bet it doesn't do much more than a $50 drop in on the stock intake with the secondary filter removed.

So like these guys said. At least he took the time to make something, and if you'd actually read they post you'd see he's planning a heat shield for it. Meaning its NOT done yet. So maybe once the heat shield is done he cuts away some metal to let more cold air in through the fender.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastlytaco View Post
look, at least the guy took the hard effort of making one by hand and installing it into his tacoma. yes yours is probly nice but give the guy some credit here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhodge83 View Post
as the guy said, he's working on the heatshield that'll keep all that heat out and it'll basically work like my K&N. give the guy some credit and get off his nuts

Personally, I think the CAI's are a waste of money anyway. Marginal gains, insane pricing. Unless you're coupling it with a SC, exhaust, Y-Pipe, and MAF calibrator. Doesn't do much good to get more air in if you can't get more out.
Old 07-29-2008, 05:47 PM   #15

NHinAK's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhodge83 View Post
Re-read what I quoted. I never quoted the OP.
Old 07-29-2008, 05:53 PM   #16

NHinAK's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by piercedtiger View Post
How much did your TRD kit cost? $300? $400? No offense, but does it honestly provide enough performance gains to be worth that? I'd bet it doesn't do much more than a $50 drop in on the stock intake with the secondary filter removed.

So like these guys said. At least he took the time to make something, and if you'd actually read they post you'd see he's planning a heat shield for it. Meaning its NOT done yet. So maybe once the heat shield is done he cuts away some metal to let more cold air in through the fender.

Personally, I think the CAI's are a waste of money anyway. Marginal gains, insane pricing. Unless you're coupling it with a SC, exhaust, Y-Pipe, and MAF calibrator. Doesn't do much good to get more air in if you can't get more out.
$300 to my door. Does it provide enough performance gains to warrant the price? With the supercharger? Hell yeah it does. It's also been shown to draw in air that is the same temperature as ambient.

The removal of the secondary filter does NOT gain you anything. This has already been dyno proven.

I understand that he took the time and effort to make it. Good for him. I never was getting on his case. I quoted nagelg because of the mis-information that he was spewing.
Old 07-29-2008, 05:57 PM   #17
This is TW. One never knows what is a joke anymore
beastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
beastlytaco's Tacoma Gallery
yeah sure.whatever
Old 07-29-2008, 06:00 PM   #18
Devout Atheist

Quote:
right... You said:

Quote:
my TRD CAI will draw in cooler air than that rigged filter set-up.
Which implies you missed the part about the future heat shield who's sole purpose is to prevent it from drawing in warm air from the engine bay.
Old 07-29-2008, 06:04 PM   #19
Sooooooper Moderator

Quote:
i never said u quoted the OP. he stated a few posts down that he was working on the heatshield. i'm the one that pointed out the heatshield and he said he was doing it
Old 07-29-2008, 06:23 PM   #20

NHinAK's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by piercedtiger View Post
right... You said:

Which implies you missed the part about the future heat shield who's sole purpose is to prevent it from drawing in warm air from the engine bay.
Fine. Since I'm already the bad guy:

When the heat shield is installed, where will the intake get it's air from?