Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

volant cold air intake

Old 10-31-2010, 09:34 PM   #1
myth01 is on a distinguished road

Name: Matt
myth01's Tacoma Gallery
volant cold air intake

ok so i installed the volant cai today. easy enough but the lack of directions was disturbing. the scoop was not a one size fits all application. i had to modify the opening where the radiator reservoir spill over was, as well as the scoop itself. the scoop was hitting the sheet metal above the radiator so i had to slot it. as far as performance. now there are those that say no real difference except a noise maker. i come from a performance background, i always had high hp cars and i was always messing and tweaking them. i did notice a difference on the bottom to mid range in throttle response which is what i was looking for. could this of been achieved by removing the secondary carbon filter? perhaps, but i got the setup on craigs list for 150.00 to me it seems worth it
Old 11-01-2010, 05:21 AM   #4
KalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Electrician
Name: Jason
KalamaKid's Tacoma Gallery
I've had mine on for two years with no trouble yet!
Old 11-02-2010, 06:30 AM   #6
Lurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lurkin's Tacoma Gallery
BTW, I plumbed the Volant Air Ram scoop into my stock filter. My scoop also had some rub issues around the coolant overflow area. It would seem "normal".
Old 12-18-2010, 09:02 PM   #7
MiG-21 superfan
builthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tony Mandarich
builthatch's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurkin View Post
BTW, I plumbed the Volant Air Ram scoop into my stock filter. My scoop also had some rub issues around the coolant overflow area. It would seem "normal".
sorry to bump an old thread, but pics avail of this? did you hack up the resonator hose?
Old 12-18-2010, 09:08 PM   #8
wes mantooth ™
Joben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Firefighter: I Babysit Adults
Name: Joben
Joben7726's Tacoma Gallery
I've had the Volant CAI since i bought my truck, i tend to get a check engine light form time to time. much better throttle response. not too sure what to do about the light though, not a big issue, just an annoyance.
Old 04-06-2011, 07:28 AM   #9
k2jacob789 is on a distinguished road
k2jacob789's Tacoma Gallery
volant cai

hey guys i installed a volant system on my 2008 tacoma, and my check engine light came on, the next day. any advice on what i should do. is there any problems that can happen in the long run
Old 04-06-2011, 08:47 AM   #10
wes mantooth ™
Joben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Firefighter: I Babysit Adults
Name: Joben
Joben7726's Tacoma Gallery
get rid of it and buy a better one, they are notorious for that.

haven't seen any long term effects yet on mine.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:06 AM   #11
‹^› ‹(ಠ_ಠ)› ‹^›
NYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: bOb
NYCO's Tacoma Gallery
i've had mine since 2006 and have not seen a check engine light come on for that...:knockonwood:

maybe you have your sensor in wrong? or loose wire?
Old 04-06-2011, 09:16 AM   #12
Foxtrot Uniform Charlie Kilo
babbott is on a distinguished road
babbott's Tacoma Gallery
I didn't get a CEL until I put a Unichip in, then I would get a CEL quite often when lightly pressing the throttle. I ended up rotating the intake tract and got the MAF sensor as vertical as possible. I have not had a problem since.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:33 AM   #13
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
URD MAF calibrator will fix it. The Volant intake uses a smaller diameter tube than the stock so the MAF gets confused by the increase in air velocity.
Old 04-06-2011, 10:55 AM   #14
KalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Electrician
Name: Jason
KalamaKid's Tacoma Gallery
Could of installed your MAF backwards
Old 04-06-2011, 10:57 AM   #15
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonleblond View Post
Could of installed your MAF backwards
It wouldn't run right at all.
Old 04-06-2011, 11:14 AM   #16
K1992f is one of the sharper tools in the shedK1992f is one of the sharper tools in the shedK1992f is one of the sharper tools in the shedK1992f is one of the sharper tools in the shedK1992f is one of the sharper tools in the shedK1992f is one of the sharper tools in the shedK1992f is one of the sharper tools in the shedK1992f is one of the sharper tools in the shedK1992f is one of the sharper tools in the shedK1992f is one of the sharper tools in the shedK1992f is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kanon
K1992f's Tacoma Gallery
I would like to see pics of it OP if u could ?? I was looking same intake
Old 04-06-2011, 11:16 AM   #17
Banned
Pic from Volant's site:

Old 04-06-2011, 11:17 AM   #18
‹^› ‹(ಠ_ಠ)› ‹^›
NYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NYCO's Tacoma Gallery
pic of my volant scoop

Old 04-06-2011, 11:23 AM   #19
K1992f is one of the sharper tools in the shedK1992f is one of the sharper tools in the shedK1992f is one of the sharper tools in the shedK1992f is one of the sharper tools in the shedK1992f is one of the sharper tools in the shedK1992f is one of the sharper tools in the shedK1992f is one of the sharper tools in the shedK1992f is one of the sharper tools in the shedK1992f is one of the sharper tools in the shedK1992f is one of the sharper tools in the shedK1992f is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kanon
K1992f's Tacoma Gallery
Do you like it intake with scoop ??? NYCO
Old 04-06-2011, 11:32 AM   #20
‹^› ‹(ಠ_ಠ)› ‹^›

NYCO's Tacoma Gallery
i do...my thoughts on the scoop was why do i have this CAI when it pulls the air from the same spot as the original intake, so i grabbed the scoop to get more of an effect that the URD true cold air systems have where it pulls the air from the front, not side...i'm waiting to pay my taxes next week and see if i can pony up for the URD MAF calibrator to fully utilize the intake with my exhaust, but i like it....more air makes me think my engine is happier...whether or not it actually does anything? i have no idea, i've been hearing alot of bad things about CAI in general recently and whether they actually give our tacomas any added benefits, but i feel that my throttle response is better...i have never had my truck dyno'd and have too many other mods to know whether or not the intake actually adds anything, but i'd like to think that it helps at least at the higher rpms...

Products Discussed in this Thread