Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Engine Overheated. Need help and advice

Old 11-01-2010, 11:53 AM   #1
TheBlackPearl is on a distinguished road

TheBlackPearl's Tacoma Gallery
Engine Overheated. Need help and advice

Hi everyone. I wanted to ask those who are mechanically inclined for advice.

This morning when I was driving to work in my 2006 Double Cab Tacoma w/ 91000 miles, everything seemed to be fine. All of sudden, I see a small patch of white smoke come out from the left of the engine, near the driver side windshield. It looked more like steam. The temperature gauge was fine. The needle was in the middle of H and C. Then the Check Engine light lit up. So I looked at the temperature gauge again and it was still fine. I was in traffic driving about 20mph. I drove for another 5 minutes and exited.

I stopped at a stop light and then smoke/steam started coming out of the engine again. This time there was more steam and the temp gauge went all the way to H! When the light turned green, i drove another 5 minutes and the gauge went back down to the middle. The steam was gone. I'm guessing the wind during driving cooled the engine back down. I did not notice any white smoke coming out of the tail pipe. The truck did not seem to be losing any noticeable power.

When I parked, I popped open the hood and more steam came out. I looked at the source of the steam and it appeared to be coming from back of the valve cover (more towards the windshield). There is coolant on the top back of the valve cover and it's also where the steam is coming from. The radiator appeared to be fine.

When I tried to start the car again to check it out, it turned on, then immediately died after 2-3 seconds. It made like a weird rattle noise when it was turning over. I checked the oil and there is oil present. It did not look muddy.

I called the shop and they say that it's the head gasket. Before I get ripped off, what are the possible problems that this could be? I'm really hoping that it's not the head gasket but I'm thinking it's the source. I guess I'm just hoping it's a hose or something.

Also, if it's the head gasket, the shop informed me that I would need to replace my valves, water pump, and fan clutch.

However, another shop said that all i need to do is replace my head gasket since the engine is still new.

Who should I trust? Money is tight right now and I don't want to replace anything that is still in good condition and doesn't need to be replaced.

For the head gasket and valve job, I was quoted $850 for parts and labor. They both said that it's a 16 hour job.

Please advise.
Old 11-01-2010, 12:17 PM   #2
trd09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chuck
trd09's Tacoma Gallery
perform a compression test yourself
Old 11-01-2010, 12:22 PM   #3
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
sounds like a head gasket. sorry.

i would change everything they suggest. it's one of those "while your in there" situations. sucks..but it is cheaper in the long run.
Old 11-01-2010, 12:27 PM   #5
BlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BlueT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlackPearl View Post
Hi everyone. I wanted to ask those who are mechanically inclined for advice.

This morning when I was driving to work in my 2006 Double Cab Tacoma w/ 91000 miles, everything seemed to be fine. All of sudden, I see a small patch of white smoke come out from the left of the engine, near the driver side windshield. It looked more like steam. The temperature gauge was fine. The needle was in the middle of H and C. Then the Check Engine light lit up. So I looked at the temperature gauge again and it was still fine. I was in traffic driving about 20mph. I drove for another 5 minutes and exited.

I stopped at a stop light and then smoke/steam started coming out of the engine again. This time there was more steam and the temp gauge went all the way to H! When the light turned green, i drove another 5 minutes and the gauge went back down to the middle. The steam was gone. I'm guessing the wind during driving cooled the engine back down. I did not notice any white smoke coming out of the tail pipe. The truck did not seem to be losing any noticeable power.

When I parked, I popped open the hood and more steam came out. I looked at the source of the steam and it appeared to be coming from back of the valve cover (more towards the windshield). There is coolant on the top back of the valve cover and it's also where the steam is coming from. The radiator appeared to be fine.

When I tried to start the car again to check it out, it turned on, then immediately died after 2-3 seconds. It made like a weird rattle noise when it was turning over. I checked the oil and there is oil present. It did not look muddy.

I called the shop and they say that it's the head gasket. Before I get ripped off, what are the possible problems that this could be? I'm really hoping that it's not the head gasket but I'm thinking it's the source. I guess I'm just hoping it's a hose or something.

Also, if it's the head gasket, the shop informed me that I would need to replace my valves, water pump, and fan clutch.

However, another shop said that all i need to do is replace my head gasket since the engine is still new.

Who should I trust? Money is tight right now and I don't want to replace anything that is still in good condition and doesn't need to be replaced.

For the head gasket and valve job, I was quoted $850 for parts and labor. They both said that it's a 16 hour job.

Please advise.
Picture first.... I would like to see what do you mean by coolant on engine cover.
Old 11-01-2010, 12:31 PM   #6
WoodsCustom is on a distinguished road

Army: Chief Instructor, US Army
WoodsCustom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriverSound View Post
Trade it in.

You will be VERY lucky if its just a Head Gasket.

If they start heating up, you gotta pull over and shut er down. In an emergency, and if you HAVE to limp it another mile, you can turn on your heater full blast and pray.

Heat Kills Engines.

WC
Old 11-01-2010, 12:39 PM   #7
81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed
81shark's Tacoma Gallery
don't drive when you are hot and don't know the cause.

i don't see why you need to replace the water pump and fan clutch if they were working properly. assuming it's a blown head gasket, hopefully, you didn't warp anything.
Old 11-01-2010, 12:44 PM   #8
BlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BlueT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 81shark View Post
don't drive when you are hot and don't know the cause.

i don't see why you need to replace the water pump and fan clutch if they were working properly. assuming it's a blown head gasket, hopefully, you didn't warp anything.
Thats the thing, I can not think any way coolant would end up on the top of engine when head gasket fails. So picture would help... there are coolant hoses that go to the throttle so if some rodent chews o n them they would spray leak on the top of engine.
So good quality pictures would help especially if you can make them with engine plastic cover off.
Old 11-01-2010, 12:55 PM   #9
me gusta pechos firmes
jivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jack MeHoff
jivewalker's Tacoma Gallery
Hmm, no smoke in exhaust. Do you smell anifreeze in the exhaust? need pics. Also, water pump could be leaking at weep hole and spraying up, etc. Not convinced not a hose or something. Consider towing it to a radiator shop for a pressure test on the cooling side, that might shed some light. Somebody correct me if I am wrong.
Old 11-01-2010, 01:49 PM   #10
KCin HBCA has much to be proud ofKCin HBCA has much to be proud ofKCin HBCA has much to be proud ofKCin HBCA has much to be proud ofKCin HBCA has much to be proud ofKCin HBCA has much to be proud ofKCin HBCA has much to be proud ofKCin HBCA has much to be proud of

Firefighter: Retired
Name: Keith
KCin HBCA's Tacoma Gallery
Where in the OC are you?
Old 11-01-2010, 03:44 PM   #11
TheBlackPearl is on a distinguished road

TheBlackPearl's Tacoma Gallery
GOOD NEWS! I popped open the valve cover and it was only a busted hose! WHEW! I believe it's called the heater return hose. It looked like something chewed it. So when I used my heater this morning, fluid was shooting out of the hole (no pun intended). haha. The part cost me $7 at Longo Toyota. That's way better than $850.

Anyways, I want to thank everyone for their help and advice. This is why I love this forum. Everyone is always helpful.
Old 11-01-2010, 03:53 PM   #12
81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed
81shark's Tacoma Gallery
awesome
Old 11-01-2010, 05:04 PM   #13

BlueT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlackPearl View Post
GOOD NEWS! I popped open the valve cover and it was only a busted hose! WHEW! I believe it's called the heater return hose. It looked like something chewed it. So when I used my heater this morning, fluid was shooting out of the hole (no pun intended). haha. The part cost me $7 at Longo Toyota. That's way better than $850.

Anyways, I want to thank everyone for their help and advice. This is why I love this forum. Everyone is always helpful.
Good stuff ... glad you did not got ripped by mechanics.
Old 11-01-2010, 05:39 PM   #14
me gusta pechos firmes
jivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jack MeHoff
jivewalker's Tacoma Gallery
That's great!
Old 11-01-2010, 05:45 PM   #15
Hiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hiatt
Hiatt1991's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to Hiatt1991
Make sure your coolant cap didnt fall off. Happened to me in my frontier. lol Dumb. But ya. def something is leaking
Old 11-01-2010, 06:30 PM   #16
Señor Member
DriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DriverSound's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCin HBCA View Post
Where in the OC are you?

He must be deep in the OC woods to have critters chewing on his heater hose.
Old 11-01-2010, 07:29 PM   #17
Manual Transmission Enthusiast
TacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
TacomaBuzz's Tacoma Gallery
Don't ever keep driving if you suspect overheating, you got lucky this time.
Old 11-01-2010, 08:46 PM   #18
scottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scottri's Tacoma Gallery
Cool! It never seems to go that way for me.
Old 11-02-2010, 06:06 AM   #19
WoodsCustom is on a distinguished road

Army: Chief Instructor, US Army
WoodsCustom's Tacoma Gallery
Change the oil and filter while your at it.

WC
Old 11-02-2010, 06:21 AM   #20
sirwamz has a spectacular aura aboutsirwamz has a spectacular aura about

Navy: Gas Systems Technician (Mechanical), USS Donald Cook (DDG 75) [2004-2009]
sirwamz's Tacoma Gallery
Good for you man. My mom's car over heated and my brother who was driving kept driving it until it started knocking. I'm glad it was only a hose. It's a good thing you kept checking for a problem before taking it in to a mechanic.