Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Level ride equal better ride - Advice

Old 11-01-2010, 04:46 PM   #1
willimatic is a splendid one to beholdwillimatic is a splendid one to beholdwillimatic is a splendid one to beholdwillimatic is a splendid one to beholdwillimatic is a splendid one to beholdwillimatic is a splendid one to beholdwillimatic is a splendid one to beholdwillimatic is a splendid one to behold

Name: Will
willimatic's Tacoma Gallery
Level ride equal better ride - Advice

Hello,

I know this information has been answered but Ive searched and searched and can't seem to find consistency. I have a 06 TRD Sport AC, it is stock to the bone. I tried to get the Harsh ride TSB with no luck, even though they have my on record complaning about the rid well within the warranty time frame.

So, I want to give my truck a better ride overall, so I was going to get the billy 5100's as most people have recommende for front and back. But my question is, what do I set the shocks to level it out. As of now, I'm keeping everything else stock (unless I manage to get the TSB somehow).

I have seen .8, 1.25, 2.5.

Any help would be great.

Thanks
Old 11-01-2010, 05:19 PM   #2
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
I would think 0.85" would do it. I got billy's before my TSB and set them at 1.75", and I was slightly nose-high.

If you want to stiffen the rear up and can't get the tsb, look into an add-a-leaf. They do basically the same thing the tsb does, and they are under $100. Would be easy to do since you would have the back apart to put the shocks on anyways.
Old 11-01-2010, 05:20 PM   #3
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Are billies adjustable on the truck?

For stock rear without the TSB, I believe .85 or so is what you want for a level ride.

Bear in mind that due to gas tank, cargo, and passenger changes, ride heights around the truck will vary by like a half inch. If it's within 1/4" when empty, just be happy.
Old 11-01-2010, 05:25 PM   #4
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jandrews View Post
Are billies adjustable on the truck?
Unfortunately they are not. You have to take them off an use a spring compressor each time you want to adjust them.
Old 11-01-2010, 05:30 PM   #5
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPT View Post
Unfortunately they are not. You have to take them off an use a spring compressor each time you want to adjust them.
Bleah. In that case, again, if it's a stock rear, go 1.25 and call it close enough. IIRC the Taco has about a 1.5" rake from factory.
Old 11-01-2010, 05:41 PM   #6
Make mine a Double!
skistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud of

Navy:
Name: Mike
skistoy's Tacoma Gallery
If no TSB , i would only go .85

Ive seen trucks with the TSB look nose high at 1.25
Old 11-01-2010, 05:49 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by skistoy View Post
If no TSB , i would only go .85

Ive seen trucks with the TSB look nose high at 1.25
I don't see the point in leveling myself...put a few hundred pounds in the bed and your ass is sagging. Rake it 1" or so and you'll look fine even loaded to capacity.

But you may well be right. I don't know shit about Billies.
Old 11-01-2010, 06:18 PM   #8
willimatic is a splendid one to beholdwillimatic is a splendid one to beholdwillimatic is a splendid one to beholdwillimatic is a splendid one to beholdwillimatic is a splendid one to beholdwillimatic is a splendid one to beholdwillimatic is a splendid one to beholdwillimatic is a splendid one to behold

Name: Will
willimatic's Tacoma Gallery
Ok, thanks everyone so far. Like I said I'm noob and my truck is dead stock. The 5100s are what I've generally been Rec'd. I am open to suggestions. I just want a better handling truck, 98% street driving , 4x4 only for snow. Roads I drive have lot of turns and up and Downs.

Any other suggestions? Don't want to spend more than like 500-750 if possible.

Thanks,
Old 11-01-2010, 06:49 PM   #9
'06 4.0L 4x4 6-sp MT Access
Flugelhornjazz has a spectacular aura aboutFlugelhornjazz has a spectacular aura about
Flugelhornjazz's Tacoma Gallery
Cool level ride is better!

I bought my '06 brand new...4x4 6-sp MT, V6 access cab...LOVE this truck. I added a SnugTop cap the first month. Now the cargo in the bed is locked up and makes the bed space very useful. At 63,000 miles now, it's time to do something w/ the shocks and suspension.

I camp almost every weekend. When I pull the pop-up trailer (150 # from the cap + the tongue weight of the pop-up) the leaf springs sag. I don't want to make the ride too harsh by adding a leaf or replacing the springs, AND I really don't want to add 2 or 3" of lift, so I installed Timbren leveling bumpers. Very cool! They replace the stock bumpers and work great.

After reading TW threads, I bought 5100's F & R. Between the Timbren levelers and the Billies on the rear, the Taco has really settled down and hauls the pop-up much better w/o hardening the ride.

The other mod I did was to the front: Billies set at .85 lift ( this leveled the body) w/ stock coils. When you look at the Taco from the front while parked on level ground, you'll notice that the driver's side is slightly lower than the passengers' side. I corrected that w/ the 1/4" spacer from toyteclifts.com.

Have fun w/ your mod...