1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Level ride equal better ride - Advice

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by willimatic, Nov 1, 2010.

1. Nov 1, 2010 at 3:46 PM
    willimatic

willimatic [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Rancho Murieta/Folsom, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma AC 4x4 Sport
    Hello,

I know this information has been answered but Ive searched and searched and can't seem to find consistency. I have a 06 TRD Sport AC, it is stock to the bone. I tried to get the Harsh ride TSB with no luck, even though they have my on record complaning about the rid well within the warranty time frame.

So, I want to give my truck a better ride overall, so I was going to get the billy 5100's as most people have recommende for front and back. But my question is, what do I set the shocks to level it out. As of now, I'm keeping everything else stock (unless I manage to get the TSB somehow).

I have seen .8, 1.25, 2.5.

Any help would be great.

Thanks

2. Nov 1, 2010 at 4:19 PM
    TexasTacoma37

TexasTacoma37 Well-Known Member

Member:
    I would think 0.85" would do it. I got billy's before my TSB and set them at 1.75", and I was slightly nose-high.

If you want to stiffen the rear up and can't get the tsb, look into an add-a-leaf. They do basically the same thing the tsb does, and they are under $100. Would be easy to do since you would have the back apart to put the shocks on anyways.

3. Nov 1, 2010 at 4:20 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    Are billies adjustable on the truck?

For stock rear without the TSB, I believe .85 or so is what you want for a level ride.

Bear in mind that due to gas tank, cargo, and passenger changes, ride heights around the truck will vary by like a half inch. If it's within 1/4" when empty, just be happy.

4. Nov 1, 2010 at 4:25 PM
    TexasTacoma37

TexasTacoma37 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Unfortunately they are not. You have to take them off an use a spring compressor each time you want to adjust them.

5. Nov 1, 2010 at 4:30 PM
    jandrews

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    Bleah. In that case, again, if it's a stock rear, go 1.25 and call it close enough. IIRC the Taco has about a 1.5" rake from factory.

6. Nov 1, 2010 at 4:41 PM
    skistoy

skistoy Make mine a Double!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Western New York
    Vehicle:
    09 4X4 SR5 BSP Double Taco
    Rear Spring TSB,Billy 5100@.85,Bull bar,Nerfbar,Painted Grill,Painted Rims,Bed D-rings,Compustar Starter,Goodyear Duratrac's,Transmission TSB,Brake Overide
    If no TSB , i would only go .85

Ive seen trucks with the TSB look nose high at 1.25

7. Nov 1, 2010 at 4:49 PM
    jandrews

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    I don't see the point in leveling myself...put a few hundred pounds in the bed and your ass is sagging. Rake it 1" or so and you'll look fine even loaded to capacity.

But you may well be right. I don't know shit about Billies.

8. Nov 1, 2010 at 5:18 PM
    willimatic

willimatic [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Rancho Murieta/Folsom, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma AC 4x4 Sport
    Ok, thanks everyone so far. Like I said I'm noob and my truck is dead stock. The 5100s are what I've generally been Rec'd. I am open to suggestions. I just want a better handling truck, 98% street driving , 4x4 only for snow. Roads I drive have lot of turns and up and Downs.

Any other suggestions? Don't want to spend more than like 500-750 if possible.

Thanks,

9. Nov 1, 2010 at 5:49 PM
    Flugelhornjazz

Flugelhornjazz '06 4.0L 4x4 6-sp MT Access

Member:
    New England
    Vehicle:
    06' 4.0L 4x4 6sp MT Access
    AFE CAI, all synth fluids, 2.5" exhaust w/ FlowMaster, Optima Deep Cycle battery, Fog mod, SnugTop cap, HID headlights, silicone hoses
    I bought my '06 brand new...4x4 6-sp MT, V6 access cab...LOVE this truck. I added a SnugTop cap the first month. Now the cargo in the bed is locked up and makes the bed space very useful. At 63,000 miles now, it's time to do something w/ the shocks and suspension.

I camp almost every weekend. When I pull the pop-up trailer (150 # from the cap + the tongue weight of the pop-up) the leaf springs sag. I don't want to make the ride too harsh by adding a leaf or replacing the springs, AND I really don't want to add 2 or 3" of lift, so I installed Timbren leveling bumpers. Very cool! They replace the stock bumpers and work great.

After reading TW threads, I bought 5100's F & R. Between the Timbren levelers and the Billies on the rear, the Taco has really settled down and hauls the pop-up much better w/o hardening the ride.

The other mod I did was to the front: Billies set at .85 lift ( this leveled the body) w/ stock coils. When you look at the Taco from the front while parked on level ground, you'll notice that the driver's side is slightly lower than the passengers' side. I corrected that w/ the 1/4" spacer from toyteclifts.com.

Have fun w/ your mod...:cool:

Products Discussed in

To Top