1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rear ended in my Tacoma

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by EvilBetty, Jul 29, 2008.

1. Sep 21, 2008 at 11:58 PM
    EvilBetty

EvilBetty [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Kansas City, MO
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5 Access Cab
    Visor CD Holder
    Yeah it ended up the frame was a little bent. It took me 4 weeks to get my truck back... I was stuck in some crappy Hyundai rental car the whole time. I ended up having the truck fixed at the dealership. They replaced every part that I could have hoped for and went to bat for me fighting when Progressive wanted to put aftermarket parts all over it. On one occasion (the head light) I had to get a warranty supervisor from Toyota on the phone with them to make them understand that any after market part in the wrong location could affect my warranty if a TSB was issued for a part connecting to that part.

The service shop still can't find the squeak in my brakes (was there before the wreck) It's driving me nuts... I have 28400 miles on my truck as of today. Would really like to get the bugs worked out of it before the warranty is up.

2. Sep 22, 2008 at 12:48 AM
    Okkine

Okkine Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    1998 Tacoma, V6, Manual Transmission, 4x4
    Glad that you're ok, sucks about the truck though. I can't imagine how fast the other guy must have been going to move a Cadillac SUV with enough force to bend your frame. Sounds like you would have been better off if the truck had been a write-off. Glad to hear that Toyota is going to bat for you to get the right parts though.

3. Sep 22, 2008 at 7:52 AM
    Kyouto42

Kyouto42 Iron Beard

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BSP '10 4x4 TRD Off-Road DC
    See build thread in signature
    Glad you're doing well... hopefully the neck/back pains can be resolved pretty quickly. TBH when they found frame damage, I'm suprized they even repaired the truck. Usually at that point most shops will push for a total unless the owner wants it repaired (usually only with heavily modified vehicles). Considering you could tell just sitting in it after the accident that the frame was twisted (seat not aligned right, alignment off, ect)... I'm in awe they went through to fix it. I bought my '92 stealth back after I rear ended someone and tweaked the frame, but from sitting it and alignment wise... it's near spot on in that reguard. Though the pass door clips the front quarter pan...

Hopefully everything was fixed right and you're taking care of. I'm sure you're really glad to be back in a real vehicle again :D

4. Sep 22, 2008 at 8:38 AM
    wing103

wing103 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Boston
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Sport / Dark Gray
    Grill Craft upper & Lower Grill WetOK Seat Cover, Devil Horn, Bug, Windows Deflector, Side step Bar, HID 55W 8000K Headlight, HID 35W 4000K Foglight, Fog Light Mod, Interior LED Map Light Mod, Electric Tail Gate Lock, Leer Cab, Key ring light, Bed LED lights Mod, Kenwood DNX5120, Signal Mirror with Heat
    I feel so sorry to hear that EvilBetty
    I hope you & your truck alright. I have a 2008 doublecab Tacoma, I run into almost same accident that you have, I am driving on the highway at 4PM, a guy hit me behind very hard, and i get pushed to hit the car that in front of me, rear end mainframe got bend, and it took the insurance company 4 weeks to total my truck, (my Tacoma is only five weeks old).
    Than I just got my 2009 Tacoma double cab, Sport package 3 days ago.
    I wish you are alright, hope you feeling better.

5. Sep 22, 2008 at 12:08 PM
    ImpulseRed008

ImpulseRed008 Gone But Not Forgotten

Member:
    First Name:
    Susan
    SC
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 V6 w/tow pkg
    OEM SS tube steps, Access LE tonneau cover, pop n'lock, AVS in-channel vent visors, stubby antenna, Wet Okole seat covers, bed mat, rear diff breather mod, 4 extra d rings in bed, K&N air filter.
    Sorry to hear about the damage to your truck. Hope it was all fixed to your satisfaction and that you have recovered as well.

Think I'd cry if my Red truck was damaged (after I killed the moron that caused the crash).

6. Sep 22, 2008 at 12:17 PM
    HerNameIsLucy

HerNameIsLucy I miss Lucy. :-(

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Equador. Don't know why.
    Vehicle:
    RIP Lucy.
    She's gone but not forgotten.
    EvilBetty I went through nearly the same thing last July. Luckily my frame wasn't bent, and I think I'm OK physically. Docs say "you'll be back", but so far no major pains I can pinpoint were caused by the rear-ender.

I'm still going through the insurance fun, still getting bills from the hospital that I have to mail to the kid that hit me insurance, now I hear in Florida there is no "devaluation" laws, meaning the difference between what the truck was worth before the hit and what it's worth now is MY fight. The kid's insurance called me just this morning and offered me a $500 check to forget the accident ever happened. Told him no, he took more than that out of my truck...so it looks like the legal fun starts now.

Good luck and good to hear you didn't end up hurt too too badly!

7. Sep 22, 2008 at 8:58 PM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5 DC/SB V6
    Magnaflow 12576 muffler & chrome tip, Westin step bars, 27% tint, Pop N Lock, AFE ProdryS, bed mat, Husky liners, D-rings added, Access Literider tonneau, Pioneer 4-ways all around, GY Wrangler Duratracs 265/75/16, 5100's @ 1.75", 1.5" AAL
    I don't agree that "it will never be the same". Mine was rear ended by a drunk driving illegal alien a month after I bought it and it's as good as new. No problems whatsoever.

Welcome to the club.

8. Sep 22, 2008 at 9:43 PM
    EvilBetty

EvilBetty [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Kansas City, MO
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5 Access Cab
    Visor CD Holder
    Yeah apparently it was only bent where the hitch attaches... and since it took most of the brunt that does not surprise me... I literally walked around the truck with a micrometer... no major issues. In fact it's tighter than some of the 09's on the lot.

Turns out my seat was NOT bent... it was just my back hehe. I took a measuring tape and an angle level... seat is as straight as the 2009's as well. (I made them pull two SR5 09's up next to my truck to measure.)

9. Sep 22, 2008 at 9:44 PM
    lawnrevenge

lawnrevenge Well-Known Member

Member:
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    08 regular cab 5-lug, automatic
    Sorry to hear it.
    My sister's corolla drives sideways thanks to crappy work done when she got hit in the back right corner by a high school punk in his daddy's dodge ram (ran a red light), she did a 360 in the intersection. If you get hit pray that they total out the car rather than replacing it, and always get gap insurance when financing. IMO bent frame = new truck.

10. Sep 22, 2008 at 9:52 PM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    Magnaflow 12576 muffler & chrome tip, Westin step bars, 27% tint, Pop N Lock, AFE ProdryS, bed mat, Husky liners, D-rings added, Access Literider tonneau, Pioneer 4-ways all around, GY Wrangler Duratracs 265/75/16, 5100's @ 1.75", 1.5" AAL
    Good to hear. Mine wasn't too bad, just bumper and tailgate damage, both replaced. I WILL be buying a hitch shortly, though. Had one on my Explorer and was rear ended twice with no damage.

11. Sep 23, 2008 at 7:23 PM
    hate2work

hate2work Well-Known Member

Member:
    Washington State
    Vehicle:
    06 standard cab
    Evil, sorry to hear of your accident. What nobody has mentioned yet is the fact that when you go to sell/trade in your truck, they will pull a Carfax report and it will show that your truck was wrecked, which of course lowers the value, sometimes by quite a lot.

What I'm saying is that it sucks that even though they fixed it for you, it will always be a "wrecked" vehicle. Personally, I think the insurance companies should pay the innocent party an extra amount because your vehicles will forever be devalued because of it.

12. Sep 23, 2008 at 7:26 PM
    HerNameIsLucy

HerNameIsLucy I miss Lucy. :-(

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Equador. Don't know why.
    Vehicle:
    RIP Lucy.
    She's gone but not forgotten.
    Well, I settled the case today. Fortunately for me the owner where I work is a very smart guy, and an ex-car salesman to boot. He told me to tell the insurance company I want 5000 to close the case, and settle for half.

I settled for half, with a stipulation that any further damage I find to the truck, or myself physically, for the next 180 days is covered.

Close the books on that one.

13. Sep 23, 2008 at 8:06 PM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    Good. Glad it worked out.

14. Sep 24, 2008 at 5:24 AM
    atebit

atebit What's all this, then?

Member:
    The basement of the Alamo
    Vehicle:
    18 Inferno TRD OR 4x4 AC
    Abosolutely! As someone that has a "congenital " cervical spine disorder, I would suggest you visit your doc & get at least a C-spine X-Ray, if not an MRI as well. I walked around for 40 years not knowing I had this problem, until a routine X-Ray indicated something was up in my neck.

Hopefully those tests will come back negative, but trust me, you do NOT want to go around with latent problems in your C-spine. Better safe than sorry.

Products Discussed in

To Top