Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Rear ended in my Tacoma

Old 09-22-2008, 12:58 AM   #21
EvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EvilBetty's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfsupl View Post
Just face it. Once your truck has been in a wreck, it will never be the same! "EVER".....Just reading your post makes me think your truck frame is screwed up. All these body shops claim to have these frame machines that will bring it back to factory condition or very close to it. Bullshit! Your frame may be straight but your lines will be off,some bigger than the others. You ever had your home's foundation raised due to it settling? Well when they raise your home back level,you will have doors that will not open or even shut,windows that stick,crack,or just will not open. Same goes with your truck. It may get fixed and look really nice,but their will always be that little spot in the back of your head when you hear a funny noise or a rattle..."oh yea,my truck was wrecked at one time!" Sucks huh???????????
Yeah it ended up the frame was a little bent. It took me 4 weeks to get my truck back... I was stuck in some crappy Hyundai rental car the whole time. I ended up having the truck fixed at the dealership. They replaced every part that I could have hoped for and went to bat for me fighting when Progressive wanted to put aftermarket parts all over it. On one occasion (the head light) I had to get a warranty supervisor from Toyota on the phone with them to make them understand that any after market part in the wrong location could affect my warranty if a TSB was issued for a part connecting to that part.

The service shop still can't find the squeak in my brakes (was there before the wreck) It's driving me nuts... I have 28400 miles on my truck as of today. Would really like to get the bugs worked out of it before the warranty is up.
Old 09-22-2008, 01:48 AM   #22
Okkine is a splendid one to beholdOkkine is a splendid one to beholdOkkine is a splendid one to beholdOkkine is a splendid one to beholdOkkine is a splendid one to beholdOkkine is a splendid one to beholdOkkine is a splendid one to behold

Okkine's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilBetty View Post
I'm sick. Last Wednesday I was stuck in traffic. I had a car parked in front and behind me. Another SUV slammed into the Cadillac SUV behind me... it hit me hard, bumping me into the 2009 Camry in front of me.
Glad that you're ok, sucks about the truck though. I can't imagine how fast the other guy must have been going to move a Cadillac SUV with enough force to bend your frame. Sounds like you would have been better off if the truck had been a write-off. Glad to hear that Toyota is going to bat for you to get the right parts though.
Old 09-22-2008, 08:52 AM   #23
Iron Beard
Kyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jake
Kyouto42's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Kyouto42 Send a message via MSN to Kyouto42
Glad you're doing well... hopefully the neck/back pains can be resolved pretty quickly. TBH when they found frame damage, I'm suprized they even repaired the truck. Usually at that point most shops will push for a total unless the owner wants it repaired (usually only with heavily modified vehicles). Considering you could tell just sitting in it after the accident that the frame was twisted (seat not aligned right, alignment off, ect)... I'm in awe they went through to fix it. I bought my '92 stealth back after I rear ended someone and tweaked the frame, but from sitting it and alignment wise... it's near spot on in that reguard. Though the pass door clips the front quarter pan...

Hopefully everything was fixed right and you're taking care of. I'm sure you're really glad to be back in a real vehicle again
Old 09-22-2008, 09:38 AM   #24
wing103 has much to be proud ofwing103 has much to be proud ofwing103 has much to be proud ofwing103 has much to be proud ofwing103 has much to be proud ofwing103 has much to be proud ofwing103 has much to be proud ofwing103 has much to be proud ofwing103 has much to be proud of

wing103's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via ICQ to wing103 Send a message via AIM to wing103 Send a message via MSN to wing103 Send a message via Yahoo to wing103 Send a message via Skype™ to wing103
I feel so sorry to hear that EvilBetty
I hope you & your truck alright. I have a 2008 doublecab Tacoma, I run into almost same accident that you have, I am driving on the highway at 4PM, a guy hit me behind very hard, and i get pushed to hit the car that in front of me, rear end mainframe got bend, and it took the insurance company 4 weeks to total my truck, (my Tacoma is only five weeks old).
Than I just got my 2009 Tacoma double cab, Sport package 3 days ago.
I wish you are alright, hope you feeling better.
Old 09-22-2008, 01:08 PM   #25
Gone But Not Forgotten
ImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Susan
ImpulseRed008's Tacoma Gallery
Sorry to hear about the damage to your truck. Hope it was all fixed to your satisfaction and that you have recovered as well.

Think I'd cry if my Red truck was damaged (after I killed the moron that caused the crash).
Old 09-22-2008, 01:17 PM   #26
I miss Lucy. :-(
HerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Computer Tech
Name: John
HerNameIsLucy's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to HerNameIsLucy Send a message via Yahoo to HerNameIsLucy
EvilBetty I went through nearly the same thing last July. Luckily my frame wasn't bent, and I think I'm OK physically. Docs say "you'll be back", but so far no major pains I can pinpoint were caused by the rear-ender.

I'm still going through the insurance fun, still getting bills from the hospital that I have to mail to the kid that hit me insurance, now I hear in Florida there is no "devaluation" laws, meaning the difference between what the truck was worth before the hit and what it's worth now is MY fight. The kid's insurance called me just this morning and offered me a $500 check to forget the accident ever happened. Told him no, he took more than that out of my truck...so it looks like the legal fun starts now.

Good luck and good to hear you didn't end up hurt too too badly!
Old 09-22-2008, 09:58 PM   #27
Kylie's dad
WilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
WilsonTheDog's Tacoma Gallery
I don't agree that "it will never be the same". Mine was rear ended by a drunk driving illegal alien a month after I bought it and it's as good as new. No problems whatsoever.

Welcome to the club.
Old 09-22-2008, 10:43 PM   #28
EvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EvilBetty's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah apparently it was only bent where the hitch attaches... and since it took most of the brunt that does not surprise me... I literally walked around the truck with a micrometer... no major issues. In fact it's tighter than some of the 09's on the lot.

Turns out my seat was NOT bent... it was just my back hehe. I took a measuring tape and an angle level... seat is as straight as the 2009's as well. (I made them pull two SR5 09's up next to my truck to measure.)
Old 09-22-2008, 10:44 PM   #29
lawnrevenge is just really nicelawnrevenge is just really nicelawnrevenge is just really nicelawnrevenge is just really nicelawnrevenge is just really nice

lawnrevenge's Tacoma Gallery
Sorry to hear it.
My sister's corolla drives sideways thanks to crappy work done when she got hit in the back right corner by a high school punk in his daddy's dodge ram (ran a red light), she did a 360 in the intersection. If you get hit pray that they total out the car rather than replacing it, and always get gap insurance when financing. IMO bent frame = new truck.
Old 09-22-2008, 10:52 PM   #30
Kylie's dad
WilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
WilsonTheDog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilBetty View Post
Yeah apparently it was only bent where the hitch attaches... and since it took most of the brunt that does not surprise me... I literally walked around the truck with a micrometer... no major issues. In fact it's tighter than some of the 09's on the lot.

Turns out my seat was NOT bent... it was just my back hehe. I took a measuring tape and an angle level... seat is as straight as the 2009's as well. (I made them pull two SR5 09's up next to my truck to measure.)
Good to hear. Mine wasn't too bad, just bumper and tailgate damage, both replaced. I WILL be buying a hitch shortly, though. Had one on my Explorer and was rear ended twice with no damage.
Old 09-23-2008, 08:23 PM   #31
hate2work will become famous soon enoughhate2work will become famous soon enough
hate2work's Tacoma Gallery
Evil, sorry to hear of your accident. What nobody has mentioned yet is the fact that when you go to sell/trade in your truck, they will pull a Carfax report and it will show that your truck was wrecked, which of course lowers the value, sometimes by quite a lot.

What I'm saying is that it sucks that even though they fixed it for you, it will always be a "wrecked" vehicle. Personally, I think the insurance companies should pay the innocent party an extra amount because your vehicles will forever be devalued because of it.
Old 09-23-2008, 08:26 PM   #32
I miss Lucy. :-(
HerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Computer Tech
Name: John
HerNameIsLucy's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to HerNameIsLucy Send a message via Yahoo to HerNameIsLucy
Well, I settled the case today. Fortunately for me the owner where I work is a very smart guy, and an ex-car salesman to boot. He told me to tell the insurance company I want 5000 to close the case, and settle for half.

I settled for half, with a stipulation that any further damage I find to the truck, or myself physically, for the next 180 days is covered.

Close the books on that one.
Old 09-24-2008, 06:24 AM   #34
What's all this, then?
atebit will become famous soon enoughatebit will become famous soon enough

Army: Defend and Serve
atebit's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickenmunga View Post
If you haven't already, get checked out by the doc. You might have damage to yourself that you don't know about.
Abosolutely! As someone that has a "congenital " cervical spine disorder, I would suggest you visit your doc & get at least a C-spine X-Ray, if not an MRI as well. I walked around for 40 years not knowing I had this problem, until a routine X-Ray indicated something was up in my neck.

Hopefully those tests will come back negative, but trust me, you do NOT want to go around with latent problems in your C-spine. Better safe than sorry.