1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rear ended in my Tacoma

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by EvilBetty, Jul 29, 2008.

1. Jul 29, 2008 at 9:02 AM
    EvilBetty

EvilBetty [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Kansas City, MO
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5 Access Cab
    Visor CD Holder
    I'm sick. Last Wednesday I was stuck in traffic. I had a car parked in front and behind me. Another SUV slammed into the Cadillac SUV behind me... it hit me hard, bumping me into the 2009 Camry in front of me.

Since we were all parked the guy that hit the guy behind me is at fault for all vehicles. Of course he had Progressive, so now I need to battle to fix my beloved.

It looks like the main point of impact was my hitch and rear bumper. When I was forced forward into the car in front of me it damaged the under bumper and scratched up the bumper cover and forced the grill up into the hood nicking the paint.

The estimators from Toyota and from a local body shop figure the bumper, bumper horns, and hitch all need to be replaced. Then the bumper cover and under bumper in front... and the whatever they find damaged behind those parts later. My alignment is noticeably off, and then there is the seat.

My concern is how hard I was hit. It knocked both of my visors out of their holders. When I got back in the truck I could tell something was not right. My seat felt twisted, and I noticed I could not see my cruise light anymore. I had to sit forward a bit. I went to adjust the seat but could not find my normal driving position and the controls felt stiff. When sliding the seat I have to buck around to get both sides to lock in.

Any impact that caused this kind of damage makes me nervous my Tacoma will never be the same.

I've never been in a wreck like this before and I feel like I am about to get raped by the insurance companies.

Any advise?

2. Jul 29, 2008 at 9:08 AM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    sorry to hear about the wreck, but glad you werent hurt!!! hopefully, they do your truck right!! i would probably want them to total my truck, because it sounds like it bent some stuff pretty bad, but hopefully, it will come out fixed right!!

3. Jul 29, 2008 at 9:09 AM
    SocalMan22

SocalMan22 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve-0
    So*Cal
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner Dbl Cab
    What Mods!
    Well the good thing is your all right i would definately get the seat checked, no car will ever be the same after a wreck, hope everything goes smooth for you.

4. Jul 29, 2008 at 9:12 AM
    eordonez

eordonez Living vicariously through mjp2

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    Chihuahua, Mexico
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport Dcab 4x2 Black Sand Pearl
    OEM All Weather Mats, wheel locks, Toyota Silver Tube steps.....
    Sorry about that, glad you are ok, as Will just said, i would try to get it totaled, as it seems that maybe the frame could be bent, and that's not good... get several opinions on the matter, if possible take it to several dealerships and shops, try to get their diagnose on paper....

5. Jul 29, 2008 at 9:13 AM
    eordonez

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    Chihuahua, Mexico
    Vehicle:
    On another thought, what happened to the Suv behind you, was it too bad??? because it seems to me like you had a lot of damage...

6. Jul 29, 2008 at 9:20 AM
    Hotdog

Hotdog My hair is all natural Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Hotdog
    Vehicle:
    2007 PreRunner SR5 Double Cab
    Wet Okole Underwear
    Sorry to hear about that. I guess it is time for some upgrades now. It sounds like maybe your seat rails got damaged.

Trucks can be repaired or replaced. You are another story. Glad the Tacoma protected you.

7. Jul 29, 2008 at 9:51 AM
    klown

klown Tacoma World Ring Leader

Member:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Vehicle:
    2008 TRD sport 4x4 double cab 6-speed
    Black, leather and heated seats, borla sport exhaust, side curtain airbags, daytime running lights, all weather mats, JBL premium 6 disk changer system, stainless step tubes, window tint, tow package
    First things first...glad you're OK

Second things second...Be prepared, because your truck will never be the same, vehicles are never the same after an accident like this. Doesn't matter how good the body shop is

Third things third...When you trade or sell this truck, be prepared to get screwed. People that know what they are doing when buying a car can tell that your truck has been in a wreck and will not be interested or not offer you as much.

My adivice? Drive the thing to mexico and leave the keys on the seat and walk across the border and tell your insurance company that somebody stole your truck.

8. Jul 29, 2008 at 9:53 AM
    eordonez

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    Chihuahua, Mexico
    Vehicle:

mmmmmm

You suck

9. Jul 29, 2008 at 9:55 AM
    klown

klown Tacoma World Ring Leader

Member:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Vehicle:
    2008 TRD sport 4x4 double cab 6-speed
    Black, leather and heated seats, borla sport exhaust, side curtain airbags, daytime running lights, all weather mats, JBL premium 6 disk changer system, stainless step tubes, window tint, tow package
    LOL, nothing against mexico. It's just thats the easiest way to get rid of the thing. I guess she could drive it to Canada. She's in MO, so she's probably right in the middle of both borders.

10. Jul 29, 2008 at 10:01 AM
    Fluffymonkey

Fluffymonkey Token

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    College Station, TX
    Vehicle:
    2013 Trd Sport DC, 07 DC sr5, 03 Prerunner
    2003: Stock 2007: Avid Offroad sliders, 30% front tint, bed mat, Truxedo low-pro qt tonneu cover, aero turbine 2525 muffler w/ 8'' tip, AR25 Resonator, 16x8 Dick Cepek DC-1 w/ 265/75 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, 2010 headlights, ome 884 coils with .5'' top plate spacer, OME sport front shocks, bilsten 5100s rear, 2'' aal, locking gas cap, LR ucas, Viper 2-way remote start, afe drop in filter, Rocky locking bike mounts, gear chest, scangauge, pop n lock tailgate lock 2013: most things transferred over from my 07, 5100s @ .85 + eibachs and Toytec tps for 3'' front lift, wheelers progressive aal w/ overload; compustar 2-way remote start; Antennex shorty antenna, pop n lock tailgate lock with programmable key, seat covers, Toyota's crappy all-weather floor mats (should have got Husky's or Weathertechs), TRD skid plate, led light pods mounted in front bumper valence w/ Eyourlife wireless harness and remote, led bed lights, light pods mounted in bed, Devil Horns emblem from Diaz Fabrications, rear facing pod lights in bed, under seat lights,

LOL I'm sorry, I had to laugh at that :D

11. Jul 29, 2008 at 12:46 PM
    EvilBetty

Member:
    Kansas City, MO
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5 Access Cab
    Visor CD Holder
    Ugh... now I feel worse...

I wanted to get it totaled. I was planning on getting an 2009 DblCab V6 :)

I got two itemized repair quotes. It's only going to be between $2400 and $3600 to repair depending on if the $989 hitch needs to be replaced or not.

12. Jul 29, 2008 at 12:57 PM
    MikeS.

MikeS. Well-Known Member

Member:
    Far Eastern WVa
    Vehicle:
    2008 DC LB 4x4 in Speedway Blue.
    Undercover bed topper, Nerf style step bars, Python alarm, Ham radio with 250 watt amp and chrome wheel well bling.
    Including replacing the seat?

13. Jul 29, 2008 at 12:58 PM
    MikeS.

MikeS. Well-Known Member

Member:
    Far Eastern WVa
    Vehicle:
    2008 DC LB 4x4 in Speedway Blue.
    Undercover bed topper, Nerf style step bars, Python alarm, Ham radio with 250 watt amp and chrome wheel well bling.
    Woops, meant to say I'm glad you're OK.

14. Jul 29, 2008 at 1:32 PM
    neontrail

neontrail ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈

Member:
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2004 NISSAN XTERRA XE/SE
    De-badged, Tint 20%, Blue 48 LED dome-light, .......
    Gald u r OK....

What a mess.... Get rid of the truck and buy a new Taco ASAP

15. Jul 29, 2008 at 1:49 PM
    nagelg

nagelg Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Northern Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Sport
    The important thing is that you weren't hurt. Tell the dealer to put everything on his bid...even if it's marginal. Win-win, more work for him and a better fix for you.

16. Jul 29, 2008 at 2:12 PM
    007Tacoma

007Tacoma I dub thee malicious!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 4Runner Trail Edition Premium
    Cloaking Device
    I am very glad the Tacoma protected you. I hope you aren't too jarred from that hit, because it sounds like your Tacoma did everything it could to protect you.

I agree. Go for the highest quote of the shops/dealerships that you trust to do the best quality work. Quality work is key.

Don't go with the Insurance appraisal. They always low-ball it in the hopes that the driver will take a low pay out. This is why you see so many wrecked or marginally wrecked cars driving down the road. Check in hand doesn't get applied to the car.

17. Jul 29, 2008 at 3:10 PM
    Chickenmunga

Chickenmunga Nuggety

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Keizer, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad DC 4x4 with stuff
    All the normal TW BS
    If you haven't already, get checked out by the doc. You might have damage to yourself that you don't know about.

18. Jul 29, 2008 at 11:20 PM
    surfsupl

surfsupl Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gregg
    WestCoast
    Vehicle:
    I DONT CARE IF IT'S A RE-POST
    Rear Diff Breather~ 5100's ~Fog Light Anytime~Tint~TRD Seat Covers~Weather Tech's~Pioneer H.U.~Lift~Eibach Springs~LED's......blah...blah...blah
    Just face it. Once your truck has been in a wreck, it will never be the same! "EVER".....Just reading your post makes me think your truck frame is screwed up. All these body shops claim to have these frame machines that will bring it back to factory condition or very close to it. Bullshit! Your frame may be straight but your lines will be off,some bigger than the others. You ever had your home's foundation raised due to it settling? Well when they raise your home back level,you will have doors that will not open or even shut,windows that stick,crack,or just will not open. Same goes with your truck. It may get fixed and look really nice,but their will always be that little spot in the back of your head when you hear a funny noise or a rattle..."oh yea,my truck was wrecked at one time!" Sucks huh???????????:D

19. Jul 30, 2008 at 12:42 AM
    genxer36

genxer36 Lord of Tomfoolery

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Bethlehem,GA
    Tow package, XM Satellite radio, K & N Air filter, & Channel Vent Visors
    Klown,

Then it gives them something to drive back across the US border, so they don't have to walk. That is so thoughtful of you! LOL

20. Sep 21, 2008 at 11:53 PM
    EvilBetty

Member:
    Kansas City, MO
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5 Access Cab
    Visor CD Holder
    I'm still screwed up... Neck and back always hurting... been going to the chiropractor for a month... been to the doc once for anti-inflammatory and muscle relaxers. Thinking about going back for Physical therapy.

Products Discussed in

To Top