Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Rear ended in my Tacoma

Old 07-29-2008, 09:02 AM   #1
EvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EvilBetty's Tacoma Gallery
Rear ended in my Tacoma

I'm sick. Last Wednesday I was stuck in traffic. I had a car parked in front and behind me. Another SUV slammed into the Cadillac SUV behind me... it hit me hard, bumping me into the 2009 Camry in front of me.

Since we were all parked the guy that hit the guy behind me is at fault for all vehicles. Of course he had Progressive, so now I need to battle to fix my beloved.

It looks like the main point of impact was my hitch and rear bumper. When I was forced forward into the car in front of me it damaged the under bumper and scratched up the bumper cover and forced the grill up into the hood nicking the paint.

The estimators from Toyota and from a local body shop figure the bumper, bumper horns, and hitch all need to be replaced. Then the bumper cover and under bumper in front... and the whatever they find damaged behind those parts later. My alignment is noticeably off, and then there is the seat.

My concern is how hard I was hit. It knocked both of my visors out of their holders. When I got back in the truck I could tell something was not right. My seat felt twisted, and I noticed I could not see my cruise light anymore. I had to sit forward a bit. I went to adjust the seat but could not find my normal driving position and the controls felt stiff. When sliding the seat I have to buck around to get both sides to lock in.

Any impact that caused this kind of damage makes me nervous my Tacoma will never be the same.

I've never been in a wreck like this before and I feel like I am about to get raped by the insurance companies.

Any advise?
Old 07-29-2008, 09:08 AM   #2
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilBetty View Post
I'm sick. Last Wednesday I was stuck in traffic. I had a car parked in front and behind me. Another SUV slammed into the Cadillac SUV behind me... it hit me hard, bumping me into the 2009 Camry in front of me.

Since we were all parked the guy that hit the guy behind me is at fault for all vehicles. Of course he had Progressive, so now I need to battle to fix my beloved.

It looks like the main point of impact was my hitch and rear bumper. When I was forced forward into the car in front of me it damaged the under bumper and scratched up the bumper cover and forced the grill up into the hood nicking the paint.

The estimators from Toyota and from a local body shop figure the bumper, bumper horns, and hitch all need to be replaced. Then the bumper cover and under bumper in front... and the whatever they find damaged behind those parts later. My alignment is noticeably off, and then there is the seat.

My concern is how hard I was hit. It knocked both of my visors out of their holders. When I got back in the truck I could tell something was not right. My seat felt twisted, and I noticed I could not see my cruise light anymore. I had to sit forward a bit. I went to adjust the seat but could not find my normal driving position and the controls felt stiff. When sliding the seat I have to buck around to get both sides to lock in.

Any impact that caused this kind of damage makes me nervous my Tacoma will never be the same.

I've never been in a wreck like this before and I feel like I am about to get raped by the insurance companies.

Any advise?
sorry to hear about the wreck, but glad you werent hurt!!! hopefully, they do your truck right!! i would probably want them to total my truck, because it sounds like it bent some stuff pretty bad, but hopefully, it will come out fixed right!!
Old 07-29-2008, 09:09 AM   #3
Founder Socaltacomas.com
SocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve-0
SocalMan22's Tacoma Gallery
Well the good thing is your all right i would definately get the seat checked, no car will ever be the same after a wreck, hope everything goes smooth for you.
Old 07-29-2008, 09:12 AM   #4
Living vicariously through mjp2
eordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ed
eordonez's Tacoma Gallery
Sorry about that, glad you are ok, as Will just said, i would try to get it totaled, as it seems that maybe the frame could be bent, and that's not good... get several opinions on the matter, if possible take it to several dealerships and shops, try to get their diagnose on paper....
Old 07-29-2008, 09:13 AM   #5
eordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shed

On another thought, what happened to the Suv behind you, was it too bad??? because it seems to me like you had a lot of damage...
Old 07-29-2008, 09:20 AM   #6
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hotdog
lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
Sorry to hear about that. I guess it is time for some upgrades now. It sounds like maybe your seat rails got damaged.

Trucks can be repaired or replaced. You are another story. Glad the Tacoma protected you.
Old 07-29-2008, 09:51 AM   #7
Tacoma World Ring Leader
klown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shed

klown's Tacoma Gallery
First things first...glad you're OK

Second things second...Be prepared, because your truck will never be the same, vehicles are never the same after an accident like this. Doesn't matter how good the body shop is

Third things third...When you trade or sell this truck, be prepared to get screwed. People that know what they are doing when buying a car can tell that your truck has been in a wreck and will not be interested or not offer you as much.

My adivice? Drive the thing to mexico and leave the keys on the seat and walk across the border and tell your insurance company that somebody stole your truck.
Old 07-29-2008, 09:53 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by klown View Post
My adivice? Drive the thing to mexico and leave the keys on the seat and walk across the border and tell your insurance company that somebody stole your truck.

mmmmmm

You suck
Old 07-29-2008, 09:55 AM   #9
Tacoma World Ring Leader
klown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shed

klown's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by eordonez View Post
mmmmmm

You suck
LOL, nothing against mexico. It's just thats the easiest way to get rid of the thing. I guess she could drive it to Canada. She's in MO, so she's probably right in the middle of both borders.
Old 07-29-2008, 12:46 PM   #11
EvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Ugh... now I feel worse...

I wanted to get it totaled. I was planning on getting an 2009 DblCab V6

I got two itemized repair quotes. It's only going to be between $2400 and $3600 to repair depending on if the $989 hitch needs to be replaced or not.
Old 07-29-2008, 12:57 PM   #12
MikeS. will become famous soon enough

MikeS.'s Tacoma Gallery
Including replacing the seat?
Old 07-29-2008, 12:58 PM   #13
MikeS. will become famous soon enough

MikeS.'s Tacoma Gallery
Woops, meant to say I'm glad you're OK.
Old 07-29-2008, 01:32 PM   #14
✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈
neontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shed
neontrail's Tacoma Gallery
Gald u r OK....

What a mess.... Get rid of the truck and buy a new Taco ASAP
Old 07-29-2008, 01:49 PM   #15
nagelg is a glorious beacon of lightnagelg is a glorious beacon of lightnagelg is a glorious beacon of lightnagelg is a glorious beacon of lightnagelg is a glorious beacon of lightnagelg is a glorious beacon of light

Army: 173rd Airborne, Pathfinder, MACV
Name: George
nagelg's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to nagelg
The important thing is that you weren't hurt. Tell the dealer to put everything on his bid...even if it's marginal. Win-win, more work for him and a better fix for you.
Old 07-29-2008, 02:12 PM   #16
I dub thee malicious!
007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
007Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 007Tacoma
Exclamation

I am very glad the Tacoma protected you. I hope you aren't too jarred from that hit, because it sounds like your Tacoma did everything it could to protect you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagelg View Post
The important thing is that you weren't hurt. Tell the dealer to put everything on his bid...even if it's marginal. Win-win, more work for him and a better fix for you.
I agree. Go for the highest quote of the shops/dealerships that you trust to do the best quality work. Quality work is key.

Don't go with the Insurance appraisal. They always low-ball it in the hopes that the driver will take a low pay out. This is why you see so many wrecked or marginally wrecked cars driving down the road. Check in hand doesn't get applied to the car.
Old 07-29-2008, 03:10 PM   #17
Nuggety
Chickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Chickenmunga's Tacoma Gallery
If you haven't already, get checked out by the doc. You might have damage to yourself that you don't know about.
Old 07-29-2008, 11:20 PM   #18
surfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gregg
surfsupl's Tacoma Gallery
Talking It will never be the same! Face it!

Just face it. Once your truck has been in a wreck, it will never be the same! "EVER".....Just reading your post makes me think your truck frame is screwed up. All these body shops claim to have these frame machines that will bring it back to factory condition or very close to it. Bullshit! Your frame may be straight but your lines will be off,some bigger than the others. You ever had your home's foundation raised due to it settling? Well when they raise your home back level,you will have doors that will not open or even shut,windows that stick,crack,or just will not open. Same goes with your truck. It may get fixed and look really nice,but their will always be that little spot in the back of your head when you hear a funny noise or a rattle..."oh yea,my truck was wrecked at one time!" Sucks huh???????????
Old 07-30-2008, 12:42 AM   #19
Lord of Tomfoolery
genxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
genxer36's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by klown View Post

Klown,

Then it gives them something to drive back across the US border, so they don't have to walk. That is so thoughtful of you! LOL
Old 09-21-2008, 11:53 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickenmunga View Post
If you haven't already, get checked out by the doc. You might have damage to yourself that you don't know about.
I'm still screwed up... Neck and back always hurting... been going to the chiropractor for a month... been to the doc once for anti-inflammatory and muscle relaxers. Thinking about going back for Physical therapy.