Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

5100 and tire size

Old 11-01-2010, 08:41 PM   #1
Bamahoyt is on a distinguished road

Name: Ted
Bamahoyt's Tacoma Gallery
5100 and tire size

I just put on some 5100's in front and set them at 1.75 and I don't have anything in the rear. My question what tire size would be a good upgrade over 265/65/17's? I want to go bigger for sure but only want all terrains unless I got a steal on Muds. Also I am thinking about putting a 1 inch AAL in the rear and stepping the front up to 2.5. would give me some tire sizes if I did that. thanks for the help
Old 11-01-2010, 10:36 PM   #2
squamish VFR will become famous soon enoughsquamish VFR will become famous soon enough

Canadian Coast Guard: Auxiliary volunteer
Name: Mike
squamish VFR's Tacoma Gallery
I went Billies all the way around. I found that the rear shocks were topping out even that they were a longer shock. (OME Dakar leaf packs) I made my own shock extensions. I set my fronts to 2.5" due to higher than expected lift in the rear. I run 285 70 17's but I wish I had choosen 285 65 17. Minor rubbing of the front of the wheel wells with FJ cruiser rims but I found out that if you hit the plastic with a heat gun it shrinks, making it easy to direct in the areas that rub. I have my 16" OEM rims P/C black with snowtires and wheel spacers for clearance for tire chains for the winter time only.

Hope that helps.
Attached Thumbnails
5100 and tire size-img_6901.jpg  
Old 11-01-2010, 10:41 PM   #3
Not very sporting to fire on an unarmed opponent.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
I'm currently running 265/70/17 with no lift / no rub . I'm not sure you will clear 285's at only 1.75 " up front .

Edit : Sorry OP I misread that you are thinking of going up to 2.5 " in the front . My Bad .
Old 11-16-2010, 06:22 PM   #4

Think I could get 285/65/17's to clear without rub with my fronts set at 1.75?
Old 11-16-2010, 07:56 PM   #5
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamahoyt View Post
I doubt it , not without trimming .
Old 11-17-2010, 05:40 AM   #6

Would the next size down be 265/70/17's then?
Old 11-17-2010, 06:30 AM   #7
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Correct. That's the next (common) size down.
Old 11-17-2010, 09:17 AM   #8
kessler89 is a splendid one to beholdkessler89 is a splendid one to beholdkessler89 is a splendid one to beholdkessler89 is a splendid one to beholdkessler89 is a splendid one to beholdkessler89 is a splendid one to beholdkessler89 is a splendid one to beholdkessler89 is a splendid one to behold

kessler89's Tacoma Gallery
i have 265/70/17 AT's on mine with nothing done to the rear and 5100's set at 1.75 on the front, i think it looks about perfect but i'm putting a winch bumper on, that's the reason i went 1.75, glad i did cause i dont really think it looks all that front high as it is right now
Old 11-17-2010, 10:45 AM   #9
trd09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chuck
trd09's Tacoma Gallery
have the same setup, 265/70/17 with 5100s at 2.5 and rear tsb. sits real nice
Old 11-17-2010, 06:50 PM   #10
squamish VFR will become famous soon enoughsquamish VFR will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I think if they rubbed at 1.75 it would be minor, I wish I'd gone with that tire size. Do the lift and get the tire shop to hang a tire on it and see, most will accomodate you when you're poised to drop $1000.

Just my $.02

I'm out

Sq
Old 11-17-2010, 06:56 PM   #11

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

FWIW , the pic of my truck I posted at the beginning of the thread is on 265/70/17 MT's with no front lift and the ( TSB ) 4 leaf pack in the rear .
Old 11-23-2010, 11:52 PM   #12
kram is a jewel in the roughkram is a jewel in the roughkram is a jewel in the rough
kram's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

I have 285/70/17 Duratracs on rims with 4.5in BS with a 1.5in spacer lift that came with the truck. I have ordered the 5100's and am in the process of trying to decide what setting to use. After spending 4 hours on here, I have decided to go with 1.75. I had to trim quite a lot of plastic and I also took the angle grinder with a sanding disc to the cab mounts to round them off very slightly. I haven't rubbed at all yet, but only done some minor dirt road driving so far. So I think this will only improve with the extra 1/4in I'll get with the 5100s. But if I do find that I rub the cab mounts I will have not problem going ahead with the chop.

A bit OT, but the reason I decided (for now) to go with 1.75 is because I don't want the ride to be too harsh and 2.5 will definitely be firmer. I also don't want vibes or alignment hassles and I could do without extra wear on the CV boot. I also didn't want to add more expense and firm up the rear any more by having to AAL to keep it level. The fact that I can avoid all that and still fit 33s with no problem, I think it's a good choice and I think it already looks awesome. If money was no object, I would have gone Icons with UCAs and a leaf pack, but the extra $2K in my perspective is better spent on mountain bikes and ski resort tickets.

Here's a pic so you can get an idea of about that amount of lift with 33s
Attached Thumbnails
5100 and tire size-img_6492.jpg  
Old 11-24-2010, 07:56 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by kram View Post
I have 285/70/17 Duratracs on rims with 4.5in BS with a 1.5in spacer lift that came with the truck. I have ordered the 5100's and am in the process of trying to decide what setting to use. After spending 4 hours on here, I have decided to go with 1.75. I had to trim quite a lot of plastic and I also took the angle grinder with a sanding disc to the cab mounts to round them off very slightly. I haven't rubbed at all yet, but only done some minor dirt road driving so far. So I think this will only improve with the extra 1/4in I'll get with the 5100s. But if I do find that I rub the cab mounts I will have not problem going ahead with the chop.

A bit OT, but the reason I decided (for now) to go with 1.75 is because I don't want the ride to be too harsh and 2.5 will definitely be firmer. I also don't want vibes or alignment hassles and I could do without extra wear on the CV boot. I also didn't want to add more expense and firm up the rear any more by having to AAL to keep it level. The fact that I can avoid all that and still fit 33s with no problem, I think it's a good choice and I think it already looks awesome. If money was no object, I would have gone Icons with UCAs and a leaf pack, but the extra $2K in my perspective is better spent on mountain bikes and ski resort tickets.

Here's a pic so you can get an idea of about that amount of lift with 33s
When I did my 5100 lift to 2.5" I found right away that I got a noise, (whomp womp womp) that I'm 99% sure is coming from the LH inner CV joint. I fabbed up my own 1" diff drop kit and that has reduced the issue and I think I'll run it until the CV is NFG and live with the noise. I'm considering at some point (maybe when I get new tires in a couple years 285 65 17 to lower it to 1.75" and get a bit more improvement. My truck has over 100,000Km on it so newer shafts may not see this noise. If anyone is doing this work on a high miler you might as well toss in new wheel bearings while you're in there, mine weren't shot but well on their way to being so. I also would recommend getting bearings withthe hub already installed to make the job easy. Plain bearings are a PITA unless you have the ability to fab up jigs to hold and press the hub out.
Old 11-24-2010, 09:51 PM   #14
bass turds
Veccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
Veccster's Tacoma Gallery
1.75" front with TSB rear...I have 265/70/17 and they fit perfectly. No rub and gives the truck a great look - not too high but high enough (like me ).

I have the Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo 2:

Old 11-25-2010, 08:07 AM   #16
Blackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Blackshirts's Tacoma Gallery
What is the diffrence in the 75 to 70???
Old 11-25-2010, 08:25 AM   #17
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackshirts View Post
What is the diffrence in the 75 to 70???
For 265's, it 's about 1" in diameter difference.