1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

WIRING UP REVERSE LIGHTS UNDER BED

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by LuckeyTRD, Nov 1, 2010.

1. Nov 1, 2010 at 10:35 PM
    LuckeyTRD

LuckeyTRD [OP] rIDIN wHEELIEz!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Cole
    Evans, GA
    Vehicle:
    2010 PreRunner ALL TERRAIN
    BHLM, Blacked out tails, window tint 5%, tinted windshield , 8000k hids hi/lo and fogs. Black side badges, debadged tailgate, camburg 1.25" uniball UCA's, Camburg 4" spindles, ext. brake lines, Fox remote resi coilovers. Fox 2.0 Pro series rear piggybacks, 3" Allpro Leaf pack, OEM roof rack, Brush guard. Custom TRD allterrain decals. UWS low profile black toolbox
    hey guys bout two small walmart 55 watt halogen driving lights to wire up under the bed somewhere to illuminate all the ish behind me at night so i can see it in my back up camera bc my tails are tinted so dark my reverse lights are a lil dim. ive got the led tails... need ideas on mounting locations and wiring instructions perhaps. id prefer keep the lights out of view from looking at the rear of the truck.

2. Nov 1, 2010 at 10:51 PM
    kinkrider101

kinkrider101 Well-Known Member

Member:
    santa barbara
    Vehicle:
    2007 cummins/2007 tacoma
    wheels and tires
    You wouldn't want them in the bed? It'll be easier that way

3. Nov 1, 2010 at 11:00 PM
    503TRD

503TRD Trucker

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Tualatin, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    '10 4x4 DC TRD Sport
    Front Bilstein 5100's Set @ 2.5", Rear Bilstein 5100's, Rear TSB, Rear 1.5" ToyTec AAL, 1" CB Drop Kit, N-Fab Nerf Steps, WeatherTech All Weather Rubber Floor Mats, Grillcraft Grill(Upper/Lower), Blacked Out AC Condenser/Radiator, Tinted Front Windows, Vision X H4 SuperWhite Headlights, Halo H10 Solaris Yellow 45w 3000k Fog Lights, K&N Air Filter, Removed Front Mud Flaps, 18" MagnaFlow Muffler, Chrome Exhaust Tip, TRD Logo Leather Shift Knob, LED License Plate Lights, LED Interior Lights, LED Reverse Lights, LED Auxiliary Reverse Lights, Chrome TRD Badge on Tailgate, Redline Tuning Elite Hood Struts, Disabled Seatbelt Chime, Foglights Anytime, ScanGauge II, 13" Stubby Antenna, Flyzeye Design LED Light, Cobra 19 CB Radio/Firestik II Antenna, 18x9 Raceline Raptors, LT275/70/18 Hankook Dynapro ATm, 1.25" Sidertrax Wheel Spacers, Heated Front Seats, LED Tailgate Bar, 11" Double Row LED Bar Behind Grill
    There's a perfect spot, tucked up under the rear bumper, they're more rectangular shape..idk what shape of lights you got though..I'll try to snap a pic real quick

4. Nov 2, 2010 at 2:09 AM
    island808

island808 Me l've got brains.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jedediah
    hawaii
    Vehicle:
    '10 6speed 4x4 access cab
    if they're out of view how do they shine out.. I'll let you figure that out..

I use the trailer hitch harness to power aux signal lights out back in every case. That's why its there. May need to bump up fuse 5 amp.. Amps = Watts/Volts 55/12 an extra 4.58 amp draw.. unless you use two.. then check the awg of the wire. I've done it, and the reverse lights aren't on for long usually. Don't think I've ever even increased the fuse rating.

5. Nov 2, 2010 at 5:48 AM
    BeardedWeirdo

BeardedWeirdo Junior Mint

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2010 AC SR5 PreRunner
    Barcelona Red Pop & Lock, Tint, New Shoes, Removed Rear Headrests, Grille(in the works)
    Are you planning on pulling power from the stock tails to come on with the reverse lights? The white/black wire is the ground. I think the positive is yellow, but I'm just going off memory. I don't know if you would have any problems wiring those lights into the stock wiring. I wired my LED tailgate bar w/reverse lights into the stock wiring, but LED uses a lot less power.

6. Nov 2, 2010 at 5:54 AM
    brutalguyracing

brutalguyracing BIG DADDY

Member:
    F.U> GUYZ
    broken mods
    all lighting shouls have its on power and must use a relay......
    you can pull a power wire off of your reverse lights to power the relay....but use a rectifer diode......
    g/l
    do it right the first time

7. Nov 2, 2010 at 5:59 AM
    Mark C.

Mark C. If you want it bad, you usually get it bad!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2010 MGM SR5 4WD AC
    LED Dome, Reed Switched LEDs in Glove Box and Center Console, Bumper Fogs, Tailgate anti-theft, LEDs over Cig lighter, Back-up camera anytime, Outside Temp add-on, Hidden GPS power, Sockmonkey 3rd Brakelight decal, 4X4 switch illumination, reed switch controlled engine compartment Flood LEDs, Elite Hitch Cover, Plasti-dipped cupholders and door switch control panels, Elite Hitch Cover.
  8. Nov 2, 2010 at 11:40 AM
    LuckeyTRD

LuckeyTRD [OP] rIDIN wHEELIEz!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Cole
    Evans, GA
    Vehicle:
    2010 PreRunner ALL TERRAIN
    BHLM, Blacked out tails, window tint 5%, tinted windshield , 8000k hids hi/lo and fogs. Black side badges, debadged tailgate, camburg 1.25" uniball UCA's, Camburg 4" spindles, ext. brake lines, Fox remote resi coilovers. Fox 2.0 Pro series rear piggybacks, 3" Allpro Leaf pack, OEM roof rack, Brush guard. Custom TRD allterrain decals. UWS low profile black toolbox
    wheres the pic at bro! and im thinkin bout returning the driving lights and using an Led bundle instead. would i still have to use a relay for the led's bc they draw less power? its only reverse lights its not like they will stay on ore than a few seconds at a time.

9. Nov 2, 2010 at 12:09 PM
    brutalguyracing

brutalguyracing BIG DADDY

Member:
    F.U> GUYZ
    broken mods
    you do not HAVE to but it is always recomended

10. Nov 2, 2010 at 8:50 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    If you choose to tap into the stock wiring to power the lights, do not upsize the fuse! You are asking for a fire if you do that, the engineers likely did not leave you enough extra capacity in the wiring to change the fuse. They used to smallest, lightest, cheapest wire that they could get away with with the stock fuse rating. Try it if you want, but if the fuse blows just accept it, and wire up a relay.

I have my aux reverse lights wired through a dedicated 15 amp fuse under the hood, used a relay and activated the relay through a 3 position switch on the dash. Position one activates the relay coil using the stock reverse light circuit wire in the driver's kick panel, position two uses the stock parking light circuit that I tapped using one of those add-a-fuse things(manual on), center position is off. I used 12 gauge wire all the way to the back of the truck to the lights, then grounded them to the frame. Done this on three trucks now, works awesome.

11. Nov 2, 2010 at 9:03 PM
    503TRD

503TRD Trucker

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Tualatin, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    '10 4x4 DC TRD Sport
    Front Bilstein 5100's Set @ 2.5", Rear Bilstein 5100's, Rear TSB, Rear 1.5" ToyTec AAL, 1" CB Drop Kit, N-Fab Nerf Steps, WeatherTech All Weather Rubber Floor Mats, Grillcraft Grill(Upper/Lower), Blacked Out AC Condenser/Radiator, Tinted Front Windows, Vision X H4 SuperWhite Headlights, Halo H10 Solaris Yellow 45w 3000k Fog Lights, K&N Air Filter, Removed Front Mud Flaps, 18" MagnaFlow Muffler, Chrome Exhaust Tip, TRD Logo Leather Shift Knob, LED License Plate Lights, LED Interior Lights, LED Reverse Lights, LED Auxiliary Reverse Lights, Chrome TRD Badge on Tailgate, Redline Tuning Elite Hood Struts, Disabled Seatbelt Chime, Foglights Anytime, ScanGauge II, 13" Stubby Antenna, Flyzeye Design LED Light, Cobra 19 CB Radio/Firestik II Antenna, 18x9 Raceline Raptors, LT275/70/18 Hankook Dynapro ATm, 1.25" Sidertrax Wheel Spacers, Heated Front Seats, LED Tailgate Bar, 11" Double Row LED Bar Behind Grill
    Well, if they have mounts and stuff...well actually, anyway they mount...angle them down? Idk if I'm missing something but it's easy..

12. Nov 2, 2010 at 10:35 PM
    island808

Member:
    First Name:
    Jedediah
    hawaii
    Vehicle:
    good advise, The trailer wiring should be at least 12 gauge, but even at 14 you should be able to pull a very conservative 15 amps out of it all the way back there. The amps are going to go along some wire why not the one it was intended. There's already a relay in that line for the reverse lights right? Toyota isn't running a straight spst to it are they? Assuming not, the trailer wire can be checked for gauge and used In my opinion, accepting that a properly paid electrician would do it otherwise in all likelihood.

Now, taking power from your tail lights is a different story, that may well be 16 gauge or even potentially 20/22 gauge if they updated the wire harness to handle LEDs. That would absolutely demand a relay and new power lead run in 10 gauge (if all the way from the front). Its also a good way to screw up other systems. I've lost my traction control due to using LED tail lights before. Think it was my traction control.

13. Nov 2, 2010 at 10:40 PM
    island808

Member:
    First Name:
    Jedediah
    hawaii
    Vehicle:
    I mean, angling them down will point down.. I guess you're just trying to make up for your dot exempt tail lights, not actually project light more than factory. I was making up for the stupid privacy glass and living in a rain forrest (no moon or street lights)
    In which case.. you might try the same type LED as the tail lights in lieu of the big oll cowboy lights. the digital camera probably.. well does, depending on the filter, have a capability of seeing IR.. are the tail lights projecting that? Its strange they came out with the camera and led tails at the same time.. just sayin. I'm quite surprised at how well my camera is illuminated vs the actual ground in visible light.
    Save power (wiring concerns go out the window) and you don't have walmart bolted to your truck, which can make you feel better maybe?

14. Nov 16, 2010 at 4:21 PM
    Chris(NJ)

Chris(NJ) Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Usually in Central Jersey
    Vehicle:
    08 Indigo 4x4 DC OR
    Mods are currently being changed .....
    I was actually thinking about picking up a couple extra LED oznium lights and tapping in to the oem reverse light wiring. This way, they only come on when the reverse lights illuminate. Does anyone see an issue w/ this?

15. Nov 16, 2010 at 4:53 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    It seems like anything LED should be low amp draw. I think you will be fine, just don't upsize any fuses if they do blow.

Hey OP, did you get your project done yet?

16. Nov 16, 2010 at 5:04 PM
    Forster46

Forster46 Very nice how much?

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Mount Vernon, WA
    Vehicle:
    The doritos locos taco
    6000k HID's, AUX Reverse Lights, 3" Rough Country Suspension Lift, Pioneer AVH-P4200 Double Din, Underglow and footwell Lights, Camo Seat Covers, Duralast Tool Box, Blacked Out Badges, Grill, Front Emblem, Midland CB Radio, Amber Strobes, POWER REAR WINDOW, cup holder LED's, Firestik 3' in bed, console divider, Ultragauge.
    I'm doing the same thing, and I'm planning on running them through my trailer wires. Both my cousins and friend have done it on their fords and chevys. But which wire on the tacoma trailer harness is the reverse light? Chevys have a tag with a diagram of each wire but my truck doesnt.

17. Nov 16, 2010 at 6:44 PM
    BeardedWeirdo

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2010 AC SR5 PreRunner
    Barcelona Red Pop & Lock, Tint, New Shoes, Removed Rear Headrests, Grille(in the works)
    The reverse lights on my LED tailgate bar are tied in directly with the reverse lights without a relay. I haven't had any problems.

[​IMG]

18. Nov 16, 2010 at 7:03 PM
    fletch aka

fletch aka www.BeLikeBrit.org

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Left Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Magnetic Gray TRD OffRoad
    TRD cat back exhaust, TRD Cold Air Intake, differential breather mod' Hellwig rear sway bar, 16x8 TRD Ivan Stewart's, Michelin LTX A/T2, DTRL Stealth Mode Mod, custom "Texas Edition" shift knob, Sock's "Classic" bedside decals, MetalMiller custom grill emblem, 20% front tinted windows, tinted taillights, Viper alarm, ScanGauge II, Flyzeye Designs V2W Tacoma Interior LED lighting, de-mud flapped, de-badged, extra D-rings under bed bolts, WeatherTech ED floor mats, G4 Elite Fold a Cover ,Toyota bed mat, tailgate theft deterrent device and absolutely no plasti-dip!
    Mounted mine to the trailer hitch.

[​IMG]

19. Nov 16, 2010 at 7:19 PM
    Chris(NJ)

Chris(NJ) Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Usually in Central Jersey
    Vehicle:
    08 Indigo 4x4 DC OR
    Mods are currently being changed .....
    I guess I'll just try the oem reverse lights as is, and if it pops something I'll just switch to using the trailer.
    Fletch, which wires correspond on the trailer wiring?

20. Nov 16, 2010 at 7:54 PM
    BeardedWeirdo

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2010 AC SR5 PreRunner
    I'm not sure. My trailer wiring only had brakes, running lights and turn signals. I went straight to the driver side tail light for the reverse signal.

Products Discussed in

To Top