Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Best iPod/USB hookup?

Old 11-02-2010, 11:05 AM   #1
huckyourmeat is just really nicehuckyourmeat is just really nicehuckyourmeat is just really nicehuckyourmeat is just really nice
huckyourmeat's Tacoma Gallery
Best iPod/USB hookup?

I've seen some posts about different iPod connection options, but I haven't found them all in one place comparing to one or another.

Here's what I would like: I have a 2010 JBL stereo and would like to maintain the factory stereo as well as XM. I would like to connect my iPod and control it with the steering wheel audio controls and have it charge. If possible, I would also like a USB port for charging my phone and playing files from a USB thumb drive.

So, TacomaWorld, what is my best bet?
Old 11-02-2010, 05:16 PM   #2
Back in the game!
Wile is one of the sharper tools in the shedWile is one of the sharper tools in the shedWile is one of the sharper tools in the shedWile is one of the sharper tools in the shedWile is one of the sharper tools in the shedWile is one of the sharper tools in the shedWile is one of the sharper tools in the shedWile is one of the sharper tools in the shedWile is one of the sharper tools in the shedWile is one of the sharper tools in the shedWile is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tim
Wile's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by huckyourmeat View Post
I've seen some posts about different iPod connection options, but I haven't found them all in one place comparing to one or another.

Here's what I would like: I have a 2010 JBL stereo and would like to maintain the factory stereo as well as XM. I would like to connect my iPod and control it with the steering wheel audio controls and have it charge. If possible, I would also like a USB port for charging my phone and playing files from a USB thumb drive.

So, TacomaWorld, what is my best bet?
USA SPEC PA15 - TOY

Link:

http://usaspec.com/product.php?Produ...eShowProduct=1

I just bought it and I love it. No USB port tho.
Old 11-02-2010, 05:24 PM   #3
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
^^^Yup. $120 shipped new on ebay.

Edit: I didn't read your whole post and I missed some info. The USA Spec unit won't give you a USB input. Sorry for the confusion.
Old 11-02-2010, 05:44 PM   #5
TRDsport253 is a splendid one to beholdTRDsport253 is a splendid one to beholdTRDsport253 is a splendid one to beholdTRDsport253 is a splendid one to beholdTRDsport253 is a splendid one to beholdTRDsport253 is a splendid one to beholdTRDsport253 is a splendid one to behold

TRDsport253's Tacoma Gallery
Check out gateway isimple you can also hook up hd radio with that kit.
Old 11-02-2010, 05:51 PM   #6
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
As I edited in on my earlier post the USA Spec unit doesn't give you USB port.

The Grom Audio unit is what you are looking for. I'm not sure if the USB port charges but it would be stupid if it didn't. The ipod/iphone specific cable is $20 more.

http://www.gromaudio.com/store/usb_a...interface.html
Old 11-02-2010, 05:56 PM   #7
Back in the game!
Wile is one of the sharper tools in the shedWile is one of the sharper tools in the shedWile is one of the sharper tools in the shedWile is one of the sharper tools in the shedWile is one of the sharper tools in the shedWile is one of the sharper tools in the shedWile is one of the sharper tools in the shedWile is one of the sharper tools in the shedWile is one of the sharper tools in the shedWile is one of the sharper tools in the shedWile is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tim
Wile's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRDsport253 View Post
Check out gateway isimple you can also hook up hd radio with that kit.
I was going to get that one but it reportedly has problems with iOS 4.0

http://discussions.apple.com/thread....ageID=11736274
Old 11-02-2010, 08:03 PM   #8
huckyourmeat is just really nicehuckyourmeat is just really nicehuckyourmeat is just really nicehuckyourmeat is just really nice
huckyourmeat's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the suggestions. I have an iPod classic that I want to hook up through the iPod connection on the interface.

For my phone, though, it's an HTC EVO (Android), so I'm not tremendously interested in streaming audio, etc. Just thought if it had a USB connection, I could charge through that rather than through the 12V car charger.

I do like the idea of connecting an HD radio...good ideas all around!
Old 03-11-2011, 05:06 PM   #9
Canadian Member
Scooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedScooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedScooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedScooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedScooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedScooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedScooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedScooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedScooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedScooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedScooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Scooter's Tacoma Gallery
iPod in USB port

I am really interested in the Grom USB2 interface. Can someone tell me if I can just use the USB interface cable for both a thumb drive, and an iPod? I am thinking of mounting a USB port inside the center console. I will mainly use a USB thumb drive, but ocationally, my daughter will use her iPod Touch. I only want to mount one port, the USB port. I am hoping the iPod can connect to the USB port via the data cable that came with it. Has anyone tried this? Does it work? Can you control the iPod with this setup?
Old 03-11-2011, 05:14 PM   #10
Banned
From the site:

Play music from USB Flash, iPod/iPhone or MP3
High quality sound
Control music on USB via car stereo/steering wheel
Supports FAT formatted USB drives
Supports MP3/WMA/AAC/iTunes files
Control and charge iPod/iPhone
Add AUX-IN 3.5mm for any audio source

iPod/iPhone Integration: Connect your iPod/iPhone to the car stereo. Control music files with the car stereo or steering wheel controls, browse by folders and files, and charge your iPod/iPhone.

Old 03-12-2011, 07:26 AM   #11
Canadian Member
Scooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedScooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedScooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedScooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedScooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedScooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedScooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedScooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedScooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedScooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedScooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Scooter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
From the site:

Play music from USB Flash, iPod/iPhone or MP3
High quality sound
Control music on USB via car stereo/steering wheel
Supports FAT formatted USB drives
Supports MP3/WMA/AAC/iTunes files
Control and charge iPod/iPhone
Add AUX-IN 3.5mm for any audio source

iPod/iPhone Integration: Connect your iPod/iPhone to the car stereo. Control music files with the car stereo or steering wheel controls, browse by folders and files, and charge your iPod/iPhone.

I know that, but what I don't know is if I can connect the iPod without their iPod cable. I want to use their standard USB cable and connect it to the iPod via the cable that came with the iPod, the same way you would connect the iPod to any computer's USB.

Sorry if I was unclear.
Old 03-12-2011, 09:40 AM   #12
Banned
I would say yes because it says it gives you ipod control.
Old 03-12-2011, 09:48 AM   #13
Banned
Kingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Submarines-Sonar Tech
Kingfrog's Tacoma Gallery
My USB port wont charge the 4th Gen Itouch....Replacing the HU with a Kenwood X994 next week.