1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Best iPod/USB hookup?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by huckyourmeat, Nov 2, 2010.

1. Nov 2, 2010 at 11:05 AM
    huckyourmeat

huckyourmeat [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    19 TRD OR DC Silver
    Old 2010: Redline QL Plus hood struts, rcbs204 illuminated 4x4 switch, seatbelt chime off, cupholder mod, LED interior and license plate lights, trimmed front mudflaps, Fumoto oil drain valve, K&N Air Filter, Leer 100XR Mile High Edition, OME All Four Corners, Duratrac 265/75/16 Load E
    I've seen some posts about different iPod connection options, but I haven't found them all in one place comparing to one or another.

Here's what I would like: I have a 2010 JBL stereo and would like to maintain the factory stereo as well as XM. I would like to connect my iPod and control it with the steering wheel audio controls and have it charge. If possible, I would also like a USB port for charging my phone and playing files from a USB thumb drive.

So, TacomaWorld, what is my best bet?

2. Nov 2, 2010 at 5:16 PM
    Wile

Wile Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 DC TRD Offroad
    Pioneer AVH-5600BHS, ScanGauge, Wet Okole Seat Covers, Allpro Aluminum front bumper, Allpro Aluminum IFS skid plate, Allpro APEX rocksliders, Warn 9500s winch
    USA SPEC PA15 - TOY

Link:

http://usaspec.com/product.php?ProductID=17&forceShowProduct=1

I just bought it and I love it. No USB port tho.

3. Nov 2, 2010 at 5:25 PM
    jdkeller

jdkeller How many words can be fit in this s

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Inland Empire, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma Prerunner TRD Offroad
    Dome light LED, 6000k HID Headlights and fogs, Grillcraft black mesh, rear 5100's, Total Chaos UCA's, 285/75/16 BFG KM2's, Spidertrax spacers, Blacked out emblems, cb,kenwood tm270 ham radio, All Pro 3" leaf pack, Fox 2.0 coilovers, Revenge Fab Sliders, u bolt flip kit, Pioneer avh4200, bed bar with light and antenna, Wet Okoles, Weathertech Mats, Wet Okole Armrests, Rear KR Fab bumper, bed mat, N-Fab spare tire carrier with full size spare on 16" TRD rim, Bedlinered flares and grille. Camburg Spindles, All Pro front fenders.
  4. Nov 2, 2010 at 5:44 PM
    TRDsport253

TRDsport253 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Edgewood, Wa
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD sport 4x4
    TRD Wheels TRD Skid plate
    Check out gateway isimple you can also hook up hd radio with that kit.

5. Nov 2, 2010 at 5:56 PM
    Wile

Wile Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 DC TRD Offroad
    Pioneer AVH-5600BHS, ScanGauge, Wet Okole Seat Covers, Allpro Aluminum front bumper, Allpro Aluminum IFS skid plate, Allpro APEX rocksliders, Warn 9500s winch
  6. Nov 2, 2010 at 8:03 PM
    huckyourmeat

huckyourmeat [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    19 TRD OR DC Silver
    Old 2010: Redline QL Plus hood struts, rcbs204 illuminated 4x4 switch, seatbelt chime off, cupholder mod, LED interior and license plate lights, trimmed front mudflaps, Fumoto oil drain valve, K&N Air Filter, Leer 100XR Mile High Edition, OME All Four Corners, Duratrac 265/75/16 Load E
    Thanks for the suggestions. I have an iPod classic that I want to hook up through the iPod connection on the interface.

For my phone, though, it's an HTC EVO (Android), so I'm not tremendously interested in streaming audio, etc. Just thought if it had a USB connection, I could charge through that rather than through the 12V car charger.

I do like the idea of connecting an HD radio...good ideas all around!

7. Mar 11, 2011 at 5:06 PM
    Scooter

Scooter Canadian Member

Member:
    Manitoba, Canada
    Vehicle:
    08 Double Cab TRD Sport Short Box
    Pop n Lock Power Tailgate Lock, Bak Flip Tonneau Cover, Factory DLR installed, Defrost with A/C Off, EZ Down Tailgate Damper, Code Alarm Security System with Remote Starter, Rear Spring TSB, Ming rust proofing & paint treatment, 3M fabric protector, Cargo Mat, Scanguage II, DYI Illuminated 4X4 Switch, Versa-Gate box extender & cargo divider, Toyota Roof Rails, Grom USB Audio adapter with bluetooth, LED Bed lights, OEM Backup Camera with LCD Display Mirror
    I am really interested in the Grom USB2 interface. Can someone tell me if I can just use the USB interface cable for both a thumb drive, and an iPod? I am thinking of mounting a USB port inside the center console. I will mainly use a USB thumb drive, but ocationally, my daughter will use her iPod Touch. I only want to mount one port, the USB port. I am hoping the iPod can connect to the USB port via the data cable that came with it. Has anyone tried this? Does it work? Can you control the iPod with this setup?

8. Mar 12, 2011 at 7:26 AM
    Scooter

Scooter Canadian Member

Member:
    Manitoba, Canada
    Vehicle:
    08 Double Cab TRD Sport Short Box
    Pop n Lock Power Tailgate Lock, Bak Flip Tonneau Cover, Factory DLR installed, Defrost with A/C Off, EZ Down Tailgate Damper, Code Alarm Security System with Remote Starter, Rear Spring TSB, Ming rust proofing & paint treatment, 3M fabric protector, Cargo Mat, Scanguage II, DYI Illuminated 4X4 Switch, Versa-Gate box extender & cargo divider, Toyota Roof Rails, Grom USB Audio adapter with bluetooth, LED Bed lights, OEM Backup Camera with LCD Display Mirror
    I know that, but what I don't know is if I can connect the iPod without their iPod cable. I want to use their standard USB cable and connect it to the iPod via the cable that came with the iPod, the same way you would connect the iPod to any computer's USB.

Sorry if I was unclear.:(

9. Mar 12, 2011 at 9:48 AM
    Kingfrog

Kingfrog Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Rugged Trail Edition
    Undercover,Pop n Lock, Hardwired GPS, Garage door opener , Scanguage II, wireless back up camera, X994 Basslink, ...Prefer stock and non invasive functional mods
    My USB port wont charge the 4th Gen Itouch....Replacing the HU with a Kenwood X994 next week.

Products Discussed in

To Top